Blofeld love

Yes, might be I am doing too much - some of the pads I made were rounding out at 3/4 voice polyphony

Time to practice some restraint!

indeed, it is powerful as the emperor has forseen! :evil:

I miss the microQ too. it was somehow easier to program and less digital sounding. the comb filters are different too compared to the blofeld.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wouldnā€™t be too ashamed of my blokeys knobs sitting a little high, and the Elektron knobs are nice enough.

From your comments, it would appear you have done or attempted to do this.

Is it straightforward? By straightforward Iā€™m hoping the original encoders can be prised off, and the replacement sipped on! If however itā€™s a case of removing the chassis, I may be tempted to source something grippy to tape to the encoders!

*edit: meant to add - are the Elektron knobs easy to find? I havenā€™t seen them on the store, but I seem to remember replacements for the MNM(?) being available at some point.

I havenā€™t done it, but I have tried it, didnā€™t like the gap, but they are identical encoder D shafts - one thing to note, they both pull vertically off, but the tightness for both is considerable, so do so at your own risk - especially wrt the Blofeld and its notoriously problematic encoders - both are designed to be removed, so itā€™s not that risky, but , you know
you may be able to source replacement parts through Elektron, either those black ones you rightly pointed out which used to be on sale as a set or maybe the standard grey ones are sourceable per item, support would know - if I had 7 grey ones iā€™d be tempted to do it myself - but note, chopping the top off the Blofeld encoders is next-level risky if those shafts were not supported - thatā€™s how iā€™d proceed with the ā€˜modā€™ were I to try
both types just need to be gently prised off vertically without any wobbling

I think novation (and many others) use those encoders and therefore knobs which fit, there may be items you could source there if you hunt around, but the Blofeld ones are quite tall

I have a monomachine, OT, a4,ar, mduw. I have GAS for blofeld desktop. In terms of sound, do you think the monomachine covers a fair bit of the blofeld territory? Would it be superfluous in my setup? What music do i make? weird experimental sounds is how it comes out but techno is the goal mainly.
I like the idea of hooking the blofeld up to the OT and sequencing it from the OT, using the multi-timbral aspect of it.

To me the Blofeld and the Monomachine are really not the same. I had Both and i had highly favorited the Blofeldā€¦ the Blofeld is very powerful you can do every sound with it, i think itā€™s covering a lot more sound synthesis speakingā€¦ Just listening the Analog Voltage by Don Solaris you canā€™t really get it with the monomachine (of course by the digiwave importā€¦)

i didnā€™t keep it because i reduce my setup and keep things i really like. but if i have to choose between those i keep the Blofeld. Because what Waldorf have done with that in that price range thereā€™s nothing beating itā€¦ itā€™s like NI Massive but in Desktop Format Maybe in the Bass territory itā€™s not the best but neither the Monomachine to me soā€¦

But keeping those too if possible is still a nice bet
Also music genre can have a relation with my thinking of it.

1 Like

I got rid of my MnM intending to get a blofeld to control with my OT. One thing Iā€™m missing is p-locking the SID basses, could this be replicated with the Blofeld, you figure?

Thanks. I have listened to all the main examples on youtube etc, and have a good sense that blofeld would probably cover more territory. I am just the stage where I have a lot of gear already, gas is there but trying not to go down the path of having excessive amounts of gear. Still want a blofeld (low cost wide palette digital based solution) and tb-03 (immediate acid).I have considered selling the monomachine but having difficulty parting with it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why i sold the MnM and the Blofeld. This can seem strange but for bass i go sample with the OTā€¦ i canā€™t get the sub bass i want with another way. But itā€™s okay. i use A4 for (Stabs, Pluck, DubTechno sound, TBā€¦ Reese Bass and Medium Bass essentially) AR covering a lot in my setup, and the OT as sample everything i missed and donā€™t want or canā€™t program on the A4.

You canā€™t p-locking on your OT things like MIDI cc to your Blofeld ? :grinning:
Just import SID basses SCW (single cycle waveform) in the Blofeld itself :wink:

1 Like

The blofeld is so cheap its hard to resist. 350 CHF here. Thats a night out on the piss.

3 Likes

MnM doesnā€™t miss me at allā€¦ i canā€™t say that for the Blofeld. maybe i will get it again one day. i donā€™t know

The mnm gives me more frustration than anything yet I persevereā€¦

1 Like

I guess itā€™s nice with digiwave import (Single cycle) and chordsā€¦ thatā€™s the way i like it the most

1 Like

Im still learning it, but have found it difficult to handle sound and musically wise. The a4 on the other hand I have learned and created things I like.

1 Like

Honestly, in my brief experiments with the the drive curves, p1 and p2, make quite subtle differences.

Iā€™m about to fire up the studio, so will make a point of checking these out again, with a simple sine and square, and report back on anything good.

So quick check and p1 and p2, to my ears, sound like an emulation of the DS1 sound. Kinda light, top layer of harmonic distortion, that perhaps maybe is a little detracting from the original sound. Imo

With the drive you can rise the output-level in case you are not satisfied with the low levels from the Blofeld in general.

Thereā€™s also a small tidbit from Waldorf to add (maybe) to the mix ā€¦

Overdrive, Saturation, Distortion, Shaping
You name it. The Blofeld offers a freely controllable "Drive" behind each filter with more than a dozen curves. These include such standards as the drive from the Q and Micro Q, low/medium/hard saturation, tube saturation, two types of electric pickups, a rectifier, digital overflow as well as esoteric stuff such as "binary distortion", a sinusoidal waveshaper and even a distortion controlled by oscillator 1. And because the Blofeld has two filters that can be routed in series, you can control the timbre of the drive output of Filter 1 by dampening or emphasizing certain frequencies with filter 2.