Blofeld love

Seems likely that he hit that awkward moment while editing the video when you realize that your question is in fact answered by the material that you are presently editing away.

2 Likes

If you burped into a guitar pick up and let the signal pass through those plugins it would sound like heaven ascendingā€¦just sayinā€¦

I am currently sequencing my Blofeld through my Digitakt (big fun!). Now iā€™d like to use multimode while sequencing other synths, too. Is it possible to let multimode begin on Midi-Channel 4? So i could put Synth A on Ch.1, Synth B on Ch.2, Synth C on Ch.3 and the Blofeld on Ch.4-following?

Yes.

yes, in BF multimode you select midi in channel for each track

1 Like

Yes, butā€¦

ā€¦if you want to use Blofeld FX in Multimode: Effect 2 of Part 1 works as a ā€˜global effectā€™. Read this post for the complete story.

I donā€™t know if setting Part 1 to ch 4 still works. Keep us posted :grinning:

1 Like

The MIDI channel settings have no adverse effect on the MultiMode functionality.

1 Like

Brought the Blofeld out of storage recently. In the summer of 2020, I had made several dozen patches using my own samples after getting the SL upgrade. The last thing I did before storing the unit away was to clear all the samples and then arbitrarily replacing them other custom samples. Now, almost two years later, Iā€™m getting to hear custom tones that feel shockingly new to meā€”I made them, yet I didnā€™t really make them consciously. Spent a few hours sampling the cream of the crop into the Akai s5000. Tip for Blofeld users: Sample your favorite patches since the sound breaks up beautifully.

The one hiccup to the experience was that I noticed that the dreaded encoder issue has become all too real for me.

4 Likes

i just brought mine out of storage too (had been sitting there since 2019) and yeah, i noticed the same thing. old patches i remember sounded totally different. and i have same issue with the encoders. i contacted waldorf support and they are sending me replacement ones.

1 Like

Pure love for the Blofeld! Such a nice pairing to the MPC, especially in multimode :heart:

3 Likes

THIS! A big reason why I just picked one up again today. Iā€™ve been searching for the right versatile hardware poly for me probably since I sold my first one. Most recently went through a Virus B and Micromonsta 2. Been getting plenty out of my iPad but itā€™s an older air2 and the battery only lasts a few hours, so not having to go to it all the time will be nice.

The headroom is questionable, and the encoders may fail but the sound is beautiful to me, The MIDI implementation solid (not the clock iirc) and the synth engine is super versatile and deep.

2 Likes

I know its a wavetable

But samples through the dual filters is out of this world good. I sampled my sub37 oscillators and created a beautiful pseudo poly Moogā€¦

Glad we have something in common to chat about on event sites around the shireā€¦love my difficult, troublesome Blofeld.

Great mindsšŸ˜. There is soo much to love inside this box. When I sold my first one I had more options and hadnā€™t purchased the sample license. That was about 2014. Being more resourceful and minimal with my toys there a whole lot I can do with 3 osc, all that polyphony and multi mode.

Got this module in black cheap, so the license will be a no brainer

1 Like

I played mine again for a few minutes the other day (itā€™s been in the cupboard for the last year or so).

This things is still really great and amazingly unique sounding, so much possibility here. I have to say that the interface and sort of laggy controls is what probably turns people off to it. It helps to see these things when I step away from it for a while.

I used the Mystery Islands BloX editor (editor bought long ago but didnā€™t see a lot of use) and itā€™s so much fun to have a big overview of everything. I still tweaked things from the front panel but I enjoyed using the hybrid of the VST and the hardware interface. I found it most helpful where you have to keep jumping back and forth between pages on the hardware to do edits (FX for example).

Iā€™d love to see a Blofeld 2 with a lot more controls broken out and a little more power. Also some updates to the FX so they can be tweaked live would be golden.

I have the sample license in mine too. I may have to sample some of my analog synths in it soon.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a great machine. I have the keyboard version in white, Miami Vice vibe.
It makes you want to know how to play it. The only downside is the lack of direct controls. I will probably dedicate the pocketdial to him. Love is there.

1 Like

just got a Blofeld and deleted the first patch I made by accident. Feel like this is a real rite of passage.

:wink:

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry, with Blofeld youā€™ll learn to save your on-progress patches on a regular basis :smiley:
It happened to me a few times before learning the lesson :wink:

2 Likes

anyone ever worked out a replacement screen for the Blofeld?

been poking around, but beyond a reseller that doesnā€™t seem to ship to the UK and some pretty out of date stuff, doesnā€™t seem like anyoneā€™s got a good part numberā€¦

Would love to get mine a white on black screen really.

or even better orange on black, but I think thatā€™s asking a lot :wink:

actually for those in the EU at leastā€¦ looks like this might work!

https://allegro.pl/oferta/art-lcd-graficzne-128x64-a-cog-led-b-l-a-kk-3-3v-7632276796

pinout is rightā€¦ it says 3.3v and I think the Blofeld is too

again: wonā€™t send it to the UK though. Going to try and send it to a mate in the EU and get it forwardedā€¦

will report back.