Blofeld love

Scanning through a wavetable is pretty smooth, depends on the wavetable of course. You can introduce steppiness in the matrix if you want it.

1 Like

So Ive been granted the pleasure of loaning a Blofeld just to get a feel for it and try and make some Neuro Bass patches.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start with this black hole of synthesis?

I guess you have to explore it, thereā€™s no way around.
But to get a glimpse of what is going on in that synth I would start with a pure oscillator patch listening to all sorts of wavetables and the basic waveforms. With wavetables use the ppg filter typ, itā€™s more pleasing to the ears than the standard filters from Waldorf.
But be aware in a mix, the Blofeld eats up the whole frequency spectrum ā€¦ get an analyzer and watch the spectrum and youā€™ll see all sorts of things going on, even when you use just one oscillator. This synt is more digital than others.
At least use the filter distortion curve on that thing, it beefs up the volume and you will get some punchy in da face bass patches.

Thereā€™s so much to say aboutā€¦

2 Likes

In addition to what Noisebuddy said, I would create your own init patch as a starting point. Osc 1 only, set to one of the wavetables, pw 0, mod +63 by Mod Wheel, Brilliance 127. This will allow you to change wavetables and quickly scan them for sounds you might be interested in.

I have also noticed that the basic waves (e.g. saw) at the end of the wavetables sound different than the ones in the osc selection.

Not sure that helps with your bass patch though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys! I have been looking for some more info about the different type of ā€œDriveā€ curves with no luck, as in a drawing or so to better understanding in waht cases use the different onesā€¦ anyone to bring some light over this? :slight_smile:Thanks+

hello everyone
so i got me a blofeld, im trying to update the firmware to 1.25 with c6 but no luck so far, im following the instructions as specified here:

how ever it does not seem to work, ports are selected in c6 and midi is received, any ideas?
<3

EDIT: seems to work with spectre so all good

1 Like

Anyone have any tips on making convincing dub tech chords on Blofeld? I tried for a whole day and all I could come up with were chords that were quite metallic sounding. Useable but not really the sound I was after. I started to think maybe the init patch has already got something baked in but I couldnā€™t find anything.

Any tips appreciated! I love my Blofeld, itā€™s the perfect partner for OT and Iā€™d rather not use another synth if I can get this sound on the Blo :slight_smile:

The blofeld can definately do dub tech chords. Do you maybe have too much FM mod on the oscillators? Normally you would probably use a lowpass filter with env modulation. That also takes away some harshness.

2 Likes

so another quick question, one of the matrix encoders is not very responsive, it works ok on slow movements but not fast ones, i know its a known issue and im thinking of just replacing it, but before i do that, did anyone ever did this and is it solvable at all or im most likely to encounter the same issue with a replacement encoder?

Yeah the Waldorf wavetable sound screams dub techno to me! Try a bit of wavetable index modulation (also great for those deep dubby pads) and experiment with drive curves and filter types maybe. May be obvious but you want the cutoff right down and to be using the env mod to create the sound, then experiment with the envelope.

Donā€™t forget that a lot of the typical dub techno sound is effects, especially reverb and delay. I donā€™t think the Blofeld effects are that great, so try running it through nice either outboard or DAW effects - personally I tend to just use my DAW for this, good ones for dub techno include Soundtoys Echoboy and Little Plate, Abletonā€™s Echo and the Surreal Machines plug-ins.

1 Like

Before you do any hardware surgery itā€™s worth checking you are on the latest firmware, I believe later firmware issues tried to address encoder skipping issues in software - not sure how effective this is but worth checking

I use the Monstrumfeld VST Editor to edit. Do you work in a DAW? I can really recommend the editor. Its very well layed out.

I cant answer your encoder question, but maybe it wouldnt matter after you had this

thanks @tdmusic , im already on the latest firmware (1.25) before it was 1.22 and it was acting the same, not that this means that its not a software issue that was never resolved :confused:

1 Like

Ah thatā€™s a shame. It is definitely a known issue, the first one I bought second hand had this problem (but really bad) so I returned it. My current one (which is a black one, not sure if they are meant to be better) is fine.

1 Like

well ideally no daw since its meant to be paired with the OT but i guess i can just control it from the OT, its the left most encoder which is misbehaving so it means no fast filter movements on board, bummer but no deal breaker, still a beautiful synth

1 Like

Iā€™ve already got a reasonable sound going but itā€™s kind of lacking a bit, and a bit tinny when the cutoff goes too high. Sending it into OT for further processing works well but both the Blofeld and the Octatrack can only have a reverb OR delay per track so Iā€™m using 3 tracks just for one sound!

Thanks for the input, Iā€™ll keep trying! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m trying to avoid going into the computer as Iā€™m using the Blofeld with Octatrack but I may resort to this just to get a more polished sound.

Thanks for the tips, Iā€™ll keep trying! :slight_smile:

Yeah, Iā€™ve tried doing the same and ended up bring back the computer as an effects processor as I donā€™t want to spend a lot on outboard effects. I had forgotten what a headache the computer can be and it is testing my patience a bit though :joy:

Unforunately neither the Blofeld nor the Octatrack have amazing reverb/delay to my ears, and I think nice reverb/delay play a huge part in the sound of dub techno (much more so than many other techno subgenresā€¦ to the point where I almost feel like you can take any synth and make it sound nice in a dub techno concept with nice effects, the processing is more important than the source often I think!)

An alternative might be to invest in an effects pedal (e.g. Zoom MS70CDR has some pretty decent reverbs and delays for the price)ā€¦ also the newer Elektrons (A4 + Digitone at least) have much nicer reverb and delay and can process external sources so you could use one of them if you have it!

the post a few above yours might perhaps be of some interest

2 Likes

I had an A4 mk1 for a few years and dialling in nice dubby chords was really fast. Iā€™m struggling with the Blofeld saw wave, it seems to have an almost metallic sound before filtering.

Iā€™m not being negative about the Blofeld though, I love it, as per the thread title!