Blofeld love

Its not that hard…git in there!!!

Oh man, I got jinxed! I just had a weird error twice in a row with the Blofeld. I created a new patch from ‘Init’, made some changes and saved it. Then as I was making some further tweaks, the Filter Envelope page went weird and was blank where there is normally a graphic of the envelope shape. The same thing on the Amp Envelope page. Even if I change to a new menu screen, when I go back to the FE or AE page it’s the same. The LED is blinking too. :frowning: After restart, all my tweaks are gone- the patch is back to a basic Init patch (a sawtooth in Osc1).

This is after a once-only error message a week or so ago- ‘Bad DSP error’ or something like that. At the time it seemed fine after a restart.

Luckily it’s still under warranty. I’ve emailed Waldorf and will give them a chance to address the problem. Just when I was getting confident I had a fault-free unit!

I experienced similiar things with the Blo. I think its software related…

care to clarify that this is indeed on the older os ? for those about to upgrade

hope it is nothing btw

Black desktop, OS 1.25. I upgraded the OS as soon as I got it so can’t compare to older OS versions. The unit is new, purchased only in November '18.

SL licence is activated (though I’m not sure if that is relevant or not).

1 Like

I have an older hardware machine and I’m running 1.23 (Sep 30 2014 here), which includes incremental sample uploading. I have thought about upgrading to 1.25, but I approach updates really cautiously with this synth. Things are working well right now and I haven’t seen much beyond fixes for the new hardware they put in the synth, so I’m not going to mess with it.

BTW, it does require a new version of spectre (1.0). I was able to verify my version on macosx by going to the folder containing the app, ctrl click, get info.

It uses checksums to keep track of what samples have been uploaded, so if I remember right, the first time you use the new version, you might not see the benefit. But the second time you should.

2 Likes

But whilst i too am running 1.23 without evident issue, there must’ve been a reason why waldorf completely removed all trace of it - it may be functionally identical, but i guess the issue that existed in 1.23 is gone, i don’t especially want to find out what the issue was by waiting for it - it may indeed just be to do with the later batch of machines - it’s hard to know without much to go on - i was active in the old waldorf forum, but i wonder if anyone active in the new forum can shed light on the 1.23 / 1.25 question

I forget some of this since it has been a little while, but I think they released something that had the new incremental sample upload, but introduced other bugs. As you say, it is really hard to know what changes were made in any firmware update.

From what I remember/gleaned though…
1.23 (+ spectre 1.0) - incremental sample upload (see waldorf fb post)
1.24 - something to accomodate new hw, but caused issues for old hw? (reddit)
1.25 - since folks with old hw started installing 1.24 and had issues, they created this to work with both sets of hw and maybe fix an issue with just one of the encoders

And btw, @MarkMosher created a walkthrough of the firmware update and what you see when incrementally uploading samples (here)

2 Likes

cool - a snippet of useful info related to why 1.23 was pulled - apparently from Waldorf Support saying

Their response was they pulled back 1.23 because of sample transfer issues

So this for me is a good enough reason to upgrade from 1.23 to 1.25, whilst i hadn’t come across the issue (even with incremental upload it was a joyless experience afaicr) that would be down to luck - so i’ll shift over to 1.25 on the strength of that - there won’t be any other changes except the avoidance of a bug i hadn’t come across

User samples and wavetables on the blofeld are terrific, but a complete PITA if you’re making an editor as there’s no way to interrogate the user content afaict (even just a list)

I made found an old comment I made in my blog post… “It appears Waldorf pulled 1.23 as an official release and fell back to 1.22. 1.24 appears to be the same as 1.22 but with an update for a new controller IC used on the main boards on newer runs of the Blofeld. So no incremental sample updates. Since yours came with 1.23 my guess is it’s not one of the new machines with new components. I personally keep my Blofeld on 1.23.” https://markmoshermusic.com/2014/12/15/must-read-waldorf-blofeld-synthesizer-new-1-23-firmware-blofeld-new-spectre-app-secret-sauce-sample-transfer/

1 Like

@avantronica If you could post again after you upgrade and let us know how it goes I would appreciate it.

1 Like

Actually, I have had mine since shortly after they came out. So it definitely has the older hw. But I upgraded to 1.23 when the incremental upload was implemented. Good to know you have stayed on 1.23 as well. It is really hard to keep track of what the safe path is with their firmware versions.

Great band name.

1 Like

I just bought Blofeld #6 (Actually my old #5 Blofeld which was still available for sale at the shop I traded it to.)

Anyway I finally got around to making a CC chart for it to make it easier to sequence parameters with my Deluge, so if anyone’s using their Blofeld with OT / DT / etc, you may enjoy having this.

Waldorf Blofeld CC Cheat Sheet - Cheat Sheet.pdf (55.1 KB)

28 Likes

I get this error too. Editing any patch not just init…it is Midi related as if i unplug the midi cable and then edit its fine. You cant hear it though…But with midi cable in i almost expect it and save after each adjustment…

I kinda gave up on waldorf support though…

What OS are you on?

I’m on OS 1.25 with SL license activated.

I always have MIDI connected because it’s a desktop unit- it would be kind of useless without MIDI! Out of interest, does this happen for you on all MIDI controllers you use? I’ve only used OT.

I got a quick response from Waldorf. I sent them the description of the problem and they said the hardware is faulty and to return it to the retailer. Luckily it is under warranty. I’ll take it in later this week and see if the new unit is any better.

1 Like

Bad news for me as mine was purchased new in 2008!..so im guessing warranty is a no go…

Yes it happens when plugged in via MIDI din to multiple controllers and also plugged in via usb…

Im desktop as well so yeh editing is like guesing without a midi cable plugged in…or i make edits and save after every change and expect to reboot multiple times during an edit…i have controlled mine with DT with no problems but im wondering now if i should try contacting waldorf again…

I put up with dodge encoders and was going to replace them until they sent a beta os update that fixed it for me so it might be worth a try.

1 Like

@Adam9
I took my Blofeld back to the store, and of course- entirely predictably- could not replicate the fault!
Do you happen to know if a particular menu page or parameter change would reliably cause the fault? It seemed to me to be random but if you remember anything specific, that could be incredibly helpful- thanks!

Sure
Its often with the amp and or filter env page that it happens…but can also happen scrolling user samples or wavetables… and im always in multi set up…

God…good luck…

1 Like

You may also need something to be feeding it midi…and maybe video it on your phone if you can replicate it at home…