Blofeld love

Thanks to both if you. Great news about 1-3. If I had FL Studio, looks like 4 would be solved as well.

Oh im sure no matter what software you set the loop points in, it will translate…i have one or two samples from a Future Music sample CD ( that takes me back) that have loop points set in what ever piece of software they were created on…? And the loop points work…

i don’t think Live embeds them in the audio file but in the asd file instead, in a “non destructive” manner

1/ yes
2/ yes
3/ yes
4/ I don’t know about free, sorry. But I’ve used loop editor 2 in the past. Renoise will do this too.

here is a little something i recorded using only a keystep and the blofeld. it shows just how tweakable the blofeld actually is once you get a hang of the matrix. enjoy!

I’ve been finding the Spectre app utterly confusing when it comes to loading samples. It’s fine with system upgrades, and I managed to successfully install the SL license pack with the included samples, and all that shows up just fine. (I’ve also had no problems with using Midiox to upload sysex patches and wavetables).

My confusion is- I can see there is Program A with 61 samples and a free slot (A62). But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to load a sample into slot A62.

Another question- is it limited to 62 sample slots?
Can I upload multiple sample programs to the Blofeld (A, B, C etc) so long as the total is under 60 MB? Or only one program at a time?

Any help appreciated- Although if possible I would prefer advice on how to use Spectre rather than suggestions to use alternative software.

EDIT- just to add to the confusion, the Waldorf site itself contains contradictory information at different places., about what you and can’t do with Spectre!

I believe the numbering for Programs is A1 - A128, then B1 - …

I have 130 Programs loaded, so mine go from A1-128, then B1, B2.

i love my blofeld! i recorded a dark ambient album back in november on it, using a lot of great techniques theorized by Mark Pigott on YouTube. check out his channel too

Yes, spectre is quite bad. I wrote my scripts to generate the xml to be later uploaded by spectre so I don’t have to spend too much time in it.

I do find the Mark Piggot tutorials helpful, but I actually wish they included a bit more ‘theory’. The ones I’ve watched are very much “go to this menu, set this parameter to 64…”.

I think it would be better as a learning tool if he took a moment to explain why he chooses these settings and what function they serve in the design of the sound. But maybe I’m asking too much :nerd_face:

Which device will give me most control over the Blofeld, OT (mki) or DT?

I was listening to all these great videos of ambient, crystal clear stuff people are doing on the Blofeld and thought I’d have a go at making and using some wavetables. I plugged the volca kick in to the OT for some mangling, recorded a sample then turned that into a wavetable with Audio Term, and then played around with it in the Blofeld.

Needless to say the results are neither great, nor ambient, nor crystal clear, but I really enjoyed pushing this one source into some very ugly territory. I feel there is a resolution of sorts at the end but I’m prone to imagining that kind of thing.

I owned a blofeld. I had to sell it during hard times three years back. I am excited to say that I have a new desktop unit in the mail arriving tomorrow. I own a deepmind 12 and a bass station 2 now and can’t wait to pair them up with my digitakt along with my much missed blofeld.

technically, wavetable ≠ sample-based (blofeld actually does both).
wavetable technique is more advanced, so involves additional preparations.
nice work anyway.

Hmm, OK. Do you mean what I have done here more like a sliced sample rather than a wavetable of single cycle waveforms? Maybe I need to check what the Audio Term wavetable software actually does when it says it creates wavetable? I just assumed it turns what you feed it into a WT (when you use the appropriate save file format). The Blofeld seems to treat the file as a WT not a sample

Im confused now so if you can clarify that would be great. When I look- in Audio Term- at the file I created in Audio Term and loaded to a wavetable slot on the Blofeld, it certainly looks like a wavetable?

The Audio Term software allows a user to create a viable wavetable from any passage of music - it does not require the user to stack and morph individual waves creatively (though this is fun) - so you can’t presume from what has been discussed that the Blofeld is playing a sample only as opposed to a user generated and scannable wavetable

The wavetable creation process can be more advanced, but in this case, with this tool it can be simple

I find the misappropriation of the term wavetable frustrating too as it’s often used in PC music circles to mean samples - and offers none of the joys of morphing/interpolation etc - but the Elektronauts community is probably on top of that

search for synthesizer video service on YT :slight_smile:

Yep, he’s one of the ones I’ve been watching. Along with the Pulse Emitter video, milolab, 100 things I do, and Seen From Space (who sounds exactly like the comedian Paul Foot :slight_smile:)

I’ve also watched the Audio Term videos linked elsewhere about wavetable creation, which is why I’m still curious about @chaocrator 's assertion that what I described above is a sample not wavetable.

On the Blofeld did you access your material via a sample slot or a wavetable slot?

Asking out of interest - not too bothered about definitions

A wavetable slot