Blofeld love

Which device will give me most control over the Blofeld, OT (mki) or DT?

I was listening to all these great videos of ambient, crystal clear stuff people are doing on the Blofeld and thought Iā€™d have a go at making and using some wavetables. I plugged the volca kick in to the OT for some mangling, recorded a sample then turned that into a wavetable with Audio Term, and then played around with it in the Blofeld.

Needless to say the results are neither great, nor ambient, nor crystal clear, but I really enjoyed pushing this one source into some very ugly territory. I feel there is a resolution of sorts at the end but Iā€™m prone to imagining that kind of thing.

6 Likes

I owned a blofeld. I had to sell it during hard times three years back. I am excited to say that I have a new desktop unit in the mail arriving tomorrow. I own a deepmind 12 and a bass station 2 now and canā€™t wait to pair them up with my digitakt along with my much missed blofeld.

3 Likes

technically, wavetable ā‰  sample-based (blofeld actually does both).
wavetable technique is more advanced, so involves additional preparations.
nice work anyway.

Hmm, OK. Do you mean what I have done here more like a sliced sample rather than a wavetable of single cycle waveforms? Maybe I need to check what the Audio Term wavetable software actually does when it says it creates wavetable? I just assumed it turns what you feed it into a WT (when you use the appropriate save file format). The Blofeld seems to treat the file as a WT not a sample

Im confused now so if you can clarify that would be great. When I look- in Audio Term- at the file I created in Audio Term and loaded to a wavetable slot on the Blofeld, it certainly looks like a wavetable?

1 Like

The Audio Term software allows a user to create a viable wavetable from any passage of music - it does not require the user to stack and morph individual waves creatively (though this is fun) - so you canā€™t presume from what has been discussed that the Blofeld is playing a sample only as opposed to a user generated and scannable wavetable

The wavetable creation process can be more advanced, but in this case, with this tool it can be simple

I find the misappropriation of the term wavetable frustrating too as itā€™s often used in PC music circles to mean samples - and offers none of the joys of morphing/interpolation etc - but the Elektronauts community is probably on top of that

2 Likes

search for synthesizer video service on YT :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, heā€™s one of the ones Iā€™ve been watching. Along with the Pulse Emitter video, milolab, 100 things I do, and Seen From Space (who sounds exactly like the comedian Paul Foot :slight_smile:)

Iā€™ve also watched the Audio Term videos linked elsewhere about wavetable creation, which is why Iā€™m still curious about @chaocrator 's assertion that what I described above is a sample not wavetable.

On the Blofeld did you access your material via a sample slot or a wavetable slot?

Asking out of interest - not too bothered about definitions

A wavetable slot

2 Likes

Sorry if you people already noticed that, but it appears that with the latest firmware update, itā€™s no more needed to upload ALL samples at once if you just want to add another one. I may be late, but this is a huge game changer for me as it makes working with samples in the Blofeld great again :slight_smile:

More than ever, blofeld pairs nicely with the DTakt :sunglasses:

Whoa! Good news. What version is that?

Is it a new version of Spectre too.

there was a previous version which allowed that (iā€™m still running iirc) but then it got pulled (though could be found) - so i need to investigate if this is a new os - cool, the fact that it got pulled bothered me a little

seems to be a midi file dated 19 feb 2018 !
v 1.25

need to look into this to see what i have

Blofeld firmware version 1.25
Spectreā€¦ I donā€™t know the version since thereā€™s not even an about boxā€¦

This is huge really.

2 Likes

now Iā€™m gonna stuff my blofeld with padsynth waves and use the 4 notes poly on DTakt midi tracks to make proper chord progressions :slight_smile:

given the lack of clarity on whatā€™s what - hereā€™s a summary of observations from a gearslutz user

so i indeed have the earlier version (5+ years ago) which allowed a simpler interaction with spectre and not requiring the full sample set sent

so this seems to be a bug free version of that unifying the firmware across later board types too

thanks @acidhouseforall for the year on news but it was indeed news to me and a few others - good stuff - will move from 1.23 to 1.25 later

========

GS quoted (March 2018) >>

Just so I understand this right:

- Earlier [Blofeld](https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear.php?t=Blofeld) revisions used firmware 1.22. 

- A while ago 1.23 was introduced which did some new SL uploading things, but then it was almost immediately rescinded because Waldorf had found bugs in it. 

- Recent [Blofeld](https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear.php?t=Blofeld) models have different controller ICs in them, requiring a revised version of the OS (1.24). But this turned out to introduce encoder bugs in the new machines. 1.25 is meant to fix that.

Correct so far? If so: (1) 1.22 is no longer available on the Waldorf website. Is 1.25 in fact a unified release for all [Blofeld](https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear.php?t=Blofeld)models? (2) Is there any reason for an older model to be upgraded to 1.25 at all?
3 Likes

How can Waldorf make synths as incredible as the Blofeld or the Quantum and yet suck at source code management is beyond meā€¦ but hey, Iā€™m just gonna enjoy the moment and work this little beast :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Be nice if someone did a video going over Blofeld firmware / software / sample transfer etc etc in 2019. Itā€™s all a bit of a mystery isnā€™t it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s esoteric af :smile:

Iā€™ve avoided learning how to transfer samples to my Blofeld, even though itā€™s capable, because I havenā€™t found the headspace for it yet. And Iā€™m lead to believe that it requires a lot of headspace, because of caveats and old software and general esoterica.

That said, I feel closer and closer to this great little synthesiser every time I figure something out! Iā€™ll do it soon.

1 Like