Blofeld love

Hey no problem.

Scroll to bottom of www.elektron.se and sign up for the newsletter.

2 Likes

Thanks, I really thought I was on this already, but apparently not.

BTW, re: Blofeld, I love it so much I swapped out the knobs and replaced the display with an easier-to-read inverted one.

3 Likes

Free sample loop point editors:

LoopAuditioneer

http://loopauditioneer.sourceforge.net/index.html

Endless WAV

https://www.bjoernbojahr.de/endlesswav.html

Wavosaur free audio editor

https://www.wavosaur.com/

First 2 have some special functions for automatic loop recognition without “clicks” and batch processing. Wavosaur has a smooth loop audition when moving sample marker points (like Digitakt) and apparently more editing tools. Additionally there is a batch processor that can “add loop point at Start and End” for many files at once. Useful for updating many single cycle waveforms.

3 Likes

Just saw this on facebook. Maybe a good opportunity to try the monstrumfeld editor.

4 Likes

For SL license / samples. Only “midi” sample file upload works with this Spectre software at ridiculously slow transfer speed. Tested with Bome SendSX tool which is free. USB transfer measured by SendSX at max speed of 43kb/sec. Using a USB to midi DIN interface speed gets even lower maximizing at 3kb/sec.

This Spectre software have many drawbacks and seems abandoned, leading users to live a nightmare to get serious results. There is a hidden feature though, on loading mapped multi-samples.

It supports Korg’s *.kmp multi-sample mapping format.

It is one of the formats that Korg uses on hardware like Triton/Trinity/M3/Kronos etc. The corresponding PCM file has the extension *.ksf and obviously *.kmp file includes the mapping data and references to samples. Tested and uploads ok. There are some commercial converters to this format like the Awave Studio software. You can then convert many well known formats like sfz or sf2 soundfont files etc. to Korg *.kmp and load them to Spectre but every case has to be used knowing possible capabilities and limitations. Sfz format for example, as far as I can see, can have many layers of samples [velocity? other?] so to export multi-layer multi-samples you have to keep only one layer and export multiple *.kmp/*ksf group of files, then maybe use them as multis in blofeld or use at will.
An alternative option is an other commercial software called Sample Robot which supports the xml format of Spectre, there is a special cut down version for blofeld .

1 Like

Sorry to hear so many problems with Spectre. It is working for me fine now, uploading samples without converting them to MIDI first. Selecting MIDI in as Blofeld was the trick (the instructions all tell you not to, but that’s what works for me). Using Blofeld OS 1.25, Windows7. This allows me to only upload new/missing sample programs to a sample set, while also keeping the already uploaded samples on the Blofeld.

EDIT: the video I linked above, as well as this, helped me figure it out. https://modulatethis.com/2014/12/15/must-read-waldorf-blofeld-synthesizer-new-1-23-firmware-blofeld-new-spectre-app-secret-sauce-sample-transfer/

4 Likes

I have mixed results, It seems to work sometimes but not always. I will have to test further.

edit: Yes it works, I use both Spectre and sendSX through loopMIDI virtual midi port to see what it is going on. Sometimes though, I do not know when, sysex gets corrupted and there is no “please be patient…” screen on hardware and the hash check will just blink, and then the unit will froze with ( ? question marks) as osc sample names. If hash check is showing numbers then it will probably work. Sometimes there is not a “restart” option, you have to restart blofeld and spectre and reload the xml file and start again, but samples have been uploaded, not the presets, the 2nd attempt loads the presets also. Really weird stuff but it can work. But not always! Sometimes it can get easily corrupted, repeat/restart and pray.

Thanks for the link / solution

1 Like

Studiologic Sledge 2.0. This “brother” synth has the same sample engine, even the 60MB flash ROM appears to be the same. The mapping software is the same but re-budged.

Spectre automatically moves loop starting point 225 samples forward from the first sample. That is probably used to avoid latency clicking noises.

A difference observed between them is that the key note has different position in keyboard mapping. For the Sledge version, I am not sure if you can use this to transfer sample/midi files, probably not, as those that will be created might have different manufacture id sysex data not recognised by blofeld.

https://www.studiologic-music.com/support/sledge/#6-0
###### Release note

**1.01**
Improved conversion of Stereo to Mono samples, with anti-clipping protection;
Optimized conversion of short Loops in various format, with anti-click protection.

**1.0**
Initial release.

What are your experiences using the blofeld as mono synth? I am finding it great for techno, elektro, and ebm basslines :wink:

Great as a monosynth - especially since you can get 16x in mono mode. I still marvel at the time I wasted owning this synth but not using it.

1 Like

Hey don`t know if this’ been cleared up, but the reason these encoders end up being jumpy/jittery, is that the grease that makes the encoder turn nicely slowly leaks in under the knob and onto the conducting material beneath the encoder, where the encoder data is read. Just open up the synth, carefully pry the small metal tabs that keep the encoder in place (after removing the knob ofc) and lift the actuator off the base of the knob. Underneath here you can swipe with a q-tip, you’ll notice how greasy the plastic disc has become. Just wipe it dry and re-assemble, encoders work perfectly afterwards :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Had a Blofeld in the past and regret selling it, now I’m pondering a second one and I have a question about the wavetables.
If I remember correctly, scanning through different wavetables is not smooth, but scanning the position on a wavetable doesn’t have any stepping, correct?

I pretty much never used the wavetables, now I know what I missed…

Scanning through a wavetable is pretty smooth, depends on the wavetable of course. You can introduce steppiness in the matrix if you want it.

1 Like

So Ive been granted the pleasure of loaning a Blofeld just to get a feel for it and try and make some Neuro Bass patches.

Does anyone have any tips on where to start with this black hole of synthesis?

I guess you have to explore it, there’s no way around.
But to get a glimpse of what is going on in that synth I would start with a pure oscillator patch listening to all sorts of wavetables and the basic waveforms. With wavetables use the ppg filter typ, it’s more pleasing to the ears than the standard filters from Waldorf.
But be aware in a mix, the Blofeld eats up the whole frequency spectrum … get an analyzer and watch the spectrum and you’ll see all sorts of things going on, even when you use just one oscillator. This synt is more digital than others.
At least use the filter distortion curve on that thing, it beefs up the volume and you will get some punchy in da face bass patches.

There’s so much to say about…

2 Likes

In addition to what Noisebuddy said, I would create your own init patch as a starting point. Osc 1 only, set to one of the wavetables, pw 0, mod +63 by Mod Wheel, Brilliance 127. This will allow you to change wavetables and quickly scan them for sounds you might be interested in.

I have also noticed that the basic waves (e.g. saw) at the end of the wavetables sound different than the ones in the osc selection.

Not sure that helps with your bass patch though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys! I have been looking for some more info about the different type of “Drive” curves with no luck, as in a drawing or so to better understanding in waht cases use the different ones… anyone to bring some light over this? :slight_smile:Thanks+

hello everyone
so i got me a blofeld, im trying to update the firmware to 1.25 with c6 but no luck so far, im following the instructions as specified here:

how ever it does not seem to work, ports are selected in c6 and midi is received, any ideas?
<3

EDIT: seems to work with spectre so all good

1 Like

Anyone have any tips on making convincing dub tech chords on Blofeld? I tried for a whole day and all I could come up with were chords that were quite metallic sounding. Useable but not really the sound I was after. I started to think maybe the init patch has already got something baked in but I couldn’t find anything.

Any tips appreciated! I love my Blofeld, it’s the perfect partner for OT and I’d rather not use another synth if I can get this sound on the Blo :slight_smile:

The blofeld can definately do dub tech chords. Do you maybe have too much FM mod on the oscillators? Normally you would probably use a lowpass filter with env modulation. That also takes away some harshness.

2 Likes