YT Jams

Thank you!

1 Like

I had a question on how everything was plugged so I thought I could share the answer here too:

Hermod is the main brain so everything is plugged to it.

Hermod MIDI out to SubH

it sends clock/transport and override the SubH sequence with an external sequence for the chorus. (I have 2 patterns: one with no MIDI note sent to the SubH, therefore, SubH uses its internal sequencer and one with a MIDI note sequence sent to the SubH overriding the internal sequencer. I switch the patterns manually)

SubH starts with its internal sequencer doing a four on the floor chord progression.
But I have set 2 rhythms on the VCO2 that I start after the first chorus (When Hermod is sending MIDI, I can change the SubH rhythm settings without anybody noticing so it’s really practical to switch from the 4 on the floor sequence to the arpeggiated one)

Hermod clock out to DFAM

I just send clock into the adv/clock in. DFAM does the sonar sound with its 8 steps where I have different velocity settings and pitch being off (wanted to change the decay with the pitch sequence but run out of cables haha)

Hermod to Plaits

I have a cv/gate track using 2 euclidian MIDI FX chained together.
And a modulation track sending cv to the Model cv with a different rhythm from the euclidean one. That’s how I switch from kick/snare/hihat models to create the beat and the euclidian rhythm turns on itself so it kinda evolves all the time.
mid section I increase manually the decay of the Plaits to create longer kick/hh sounds.

The Plaits goes into Morphagene.

You can see me at the start live sample the Plaits.

Hermod to Morphagene

Hermod is sending a gate info every bar into the clock of the Morphagene. By doing so I can press the record button at any time and it will start in time with the next clock and I can stop the recording at any time, it will stop at the next clock. so you get perfectly synced recorded loop.

once my loop is recorded, I blend the loop sound in (you have a mixer knob on the Morphagene)
that is already reversed.

You can see me increase the delay on the DN when I record the loop as I wanted more weird sfx recorded.

Morphagene and DFAM goes into the 4ms Listen Four that goes into the DN with line level.
The DN is used as a FX box. I have the overdrive set at 20% at first and increase it all along. chorus on the drum too, why not haha. and I increase the delay from time to time to widen up the beat.

I record the DN ins via OB.

SubH is plugged directly into my Apollo Twin X (didn’t have enough patch cables!!)

1 Like

Digitone only track, recorded live for jamuary.

1 Like

my jam of the week with the Dark Trinity (kinda!).

Plaits is the main hero with the Analog Rytm here.
Playing with Hermod to modulate Plaits was a lot of fun.
Hope you’ll enjoy this one.

3 Likes

forgot the rundown of the above setup:

I’m using the Chord model of Plaits and modulating the Timbre (chord inversion) and Harmonic (chord type) with Hermod by using some random poly meter sequences to make the alteration evolves asymmetrically to the beat. Panning the out and aux of the plaits hard left/right gave quite a fun result here.
The modular rig goes into the OTO BAM for some lush reverb.

Analog Rytm is in charge of… well, the beat!
kick/snare/rimshot and clap all got track probability set and the snare sample is randomly triggered from the pool with an LFO.

Digitone and Analog Four were just here to be used as input extension to record my modular rig and the Prophet rev2 but I added a little something from each of them(DN/A4 are quite underused here).

Prophet rev2 goes into the A4 with a little reverberation/delay and chorus from the box.

Morphagene plays a reel of the Plaits reversed and slowed down with some Morph effects and grain stuffs for the very ending.

As you may know, there’s an Open Battle: Collabed going on here:

Below is our submission with @korpinen:

Hope you’ll enjoy the track as much as we enjoyed creating it and please go listen to other members submissions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

my next jam might be more rock than usual. bass is hard!!! this is my first take. it all started from a beat created on the Rytm

1 Like

Had these bookmarked for some time to give a listen, and finally heard that first one. It is a belter. So good. Looking forward to listening to the rest now.

1 Like

oh thanks man!
those are weekly jams and I create, record & mix them in half a day so quality may vary widely but hope you’ll hang in there and find some jams you like

1 Like

I’ve noticed that I didn’t post my favorite jams so far. hum.

anyway, here is my jam of the week, electric guitar, fuzzy bass and reversed vocals.
it all started with a very fun Analog Rytm beat. I think I’m gonna keep it this time!

steering away from my last “rock” jam, a simple piano piece (mind you, i don’t know how to play the piano)

1 Like

I don’t know why this jam always put me in a sad mood.
perhaps the cheesy “before I go hold me” and all the memories it brings back.

anyway, setup is:

Kick from DFAM sequenced by the A4.
A4 is the weird flute and bass.
Digitone is the pad and some other drums.
Boog D is the starting pad into the BAM.

3 Likes

Digitone only series with one of the sound being the default sine wave :smile:

1 Like

I don’t know what happened. it was supposed to be an ambient-ish jam
and then… something went wrong, very wrong.
sorry.

Digitone is bass, snare, pad and mixer for the OT (overdrive yeah).
Octatrack is everything but violins/horns (added afterward).
It was fun to fool around with slicing audio files.
First time I’ve used the sequencer in mute, slice and piano mode!
I think my OT mastery has gone through the roof, like, I don’t know, 2%?

Adlib vocals.

2 Likes

Analog Rytm (no samples) and Digitone jam.
I’ve started by using the knobs to change the distortion on the delay for the pads of the AR but then realized there’s a perf mode and well, that’s so much better! I like the physical interaction so much more.

2 Likes

It was quite challenging to get this jam working and below is why (basically, I’m a loser)!

First run down of the setup:

1. Analog Rytm is the master here sending clock to Hermod and sequencing it in song mode while playing some… drums.

2. Digitone plays its own little thing and sequence the Minitaur
    (bell like sound, noise and bass)

3. Minitaur is doing Minitaur. I play with the filter cut off and the frequency of the second oscillator, it was fun.

4. Hermod is sequencing the Morphagene by using the Organize CV/Play CV and sending some modulation, very subtle, nothing crazy

5. Morphagene plays the slices accordingly

6. Morphagne goes into Typhoon (MI Clouds clone) then…

7. the modular family goes into the Line6 HX Stomp as I wanted some send and returns and this is the only piece of gear that could do this. So I’ve used the delay of the HX (I’m always fiddling with the delay feedback to make it go crazy or not) and the H9 is in a FX loop module.

8. H9 is this weird reverse reverb rising

so what did I do wrong??? here you go:

At first Hermod was sequencing the Morphagene at 115BPM
but I wanted to use 230BPM for the Analog Rytm to get this hihat going.
well, I couldn’t get them to sync properly so I’ve changed all the patterns in Hermod to fit 230BPM but then… 8 sequences were not enough so decided to use the Analog Rytm’ song mode and control the pattern change of the Hermod and well, everything worked fine BUT some slices were not changing properly. I did find a solution by switching from full sequence mode to restart sequence mode in Hermod…
Before that… I’ve created a pre-sliced file for the Morphagene with all the piano chords to sequence them with the Organize CV. Started to create the sequence in Hermod only to notice at the very end that I couldn’t reach the last 3 chords in the slice so reduced the number of slices and wrote AGAIN the sequences but no chance. couldn’t access the last 3 slices… So? Added 3 dummy slices at the very end of the file and it was working as expected. Still don’t know why.

This jam was mainly an exercise for me to play with the Morphagene/ Hermod/Analog Rytm so what did I learn:

1. I like the momentary mode of the Play CV way better! You can get way more weird stuffs by changing the length of the gate as it will play the sample not for the length of the sample but for the length of the gate.

2. Why Hermod does not reset the gate to 0V when you stop it… Morphagene wouldn’t stop until it received a low gate. The Typhoon mute button was useful haha

3. You can create little wobbles with the right input of the Morphagene. I was very subtle about it by creating some random mod sequence in Hermod with as small as 2-3 changes on a 0-127 scale.

4. Morphagene vary-speed would sometime switch on its own. But I guess I was moving too much haha.

5. Morphagene is really cool and using a random LFO to switch the piano chords created some nice stuffs with the gene moving around too (didn’t use it for this jam though)

6. I love to sequence the gate and the notes (here the sample switching) with 2 different tracks. it’s more work for sure but you can go crazy with different length for each tracks and have fun!

7. I guess using the Octatrack would have been way much faster but it will be easier next time now that I know all the gotchas.

8. I’ve used the chopped hi-hats (volume set to 0) with some trigs that I placed randomly and then used the track prob settings. it cuts the main hi-hats randomly. I couldn’t do this so easily with only one track/one sequence.

9. I need longer patch cables! Plaits was doing a wonderful job at creating a huge kick but couldn’t sequence it. I’ve used the Morphagene EOG at first as it was just long enough and it was triggering the Plaits kick exactly when I wanted to BUT not always so gave up on using the Plaits as a kick and use it instead to modulate the Texture cv of Typhoon.

10. Writing my experience and ending with only 9 points was annoying ; )

Adlib vocals.

1 Like

I think you buying a new 6U case after this slightly challenging experience sounds both hilarious and familiar. :grinning:

Great track!

1 Like

Thanks man!

haha, well, I guess points 1/5/6 are the reasons I can’t give up! I’ve been using the Morphagene to live sample and create ambient-ish sounds with great success and point 5 did open quite a lot of new ideas so there’s that! Plaits and Hermod are great too! I’m still looking into creating a “Plaitriarch” :wink:

There are so many cool modules out there (4ms SWN and qu-bit Chords are looking at me). Will
see if I get tired of reading manuals and fighting each module quirks :wink:

1 Like

For sure, Morphagene is really cool! A Plaitriarch sounds awesome as well. Probably more expensive than a Matriarch but awesome all the same. :smiley: Of course the Plait vs Mate thing is probably a space issue more than anything.

…aaaand we just lost Blake. :rofl:

1 Like

yeah, won’t be the same sound anyway but as you said… no more space and I really don’t need yet another keyboard. If they do a module version, I’ll be first in line. A Plaitriarch is price wise more expensive indeed haha but it will be fun :wink:

:upside_down_face:

1 Like