Bitwig

Yes I can recommend Panorama also as the best midi keyboard experience on Bitwig and reason it’s so nice with that motorized fader it’s so convenient ! also the keyboard feels is pure quality.

Totally loved it :heartpulse:

Bitwig as been working flawlessly for me with Overbridge on OSX.
Its the best DAW i ever used and completely ditched Ableton and Logic.
I guess it depend on your workflow.

I also have switched to BitWig predominantly (although I still use S1 3 for recording a lot of live instruments). I find the workflow fast and intuitive, the modulation section almost perfect (especially with CV) and the fact that it can do the ‘Live’ clip type stuff as well as a pretty good linear DAW makes it an ideal choose when just jamming around. I use it with an expert sleepers ES-8 and my Eurorack and its just about perfect :slight_smile:

Its also great as a midi slave, just using my dark trinity as the main interface and ‘triggering’ loops or VST instruments from BitWig like an instrument.

I haven’t figured out how to use the Digitakt as a sequencer for my instruments and VST’s in Bitwig.
Could someone give me a short explanation please, or point me to a youtube-vid? I know how to do it in Reason and Ableton, but not in Bitwig.

those of you who are using BitWig, how well is it for working with straight audio?

i primarily use hardware and use my current DAW, Live, pretty much as a tape track.

The next version 2.3 will be as nice as Ableton regarding Time-Stretching algorithm. It’s in Beta for now give it a try… release in February

1 Like

as for working with straight audio, i primarily mean editing/arranging.

playing with the demo, BW feels a lot more geared toward studio work as opposed to playing live (i.e. Ableton) which i’m really really enjoying. everything is so much more quick and immediate…no jumping back/forth between session/arrange.

so anyone working with bitwig especially in terms of audio editing/arranging?

i’m also trying the figure the best way to use the mutliclock plugin (sends the out to one of my outputs to keep gear in time with daw) and the best thing i’ve decided on was to use an effect track since mute/solo won’t affect this.

i was thinking there must be something that could do this more easily within bitwig.

any ideas?

and the option is to use the HW Clock Out device…yay!

is anyone using the vers beta?

what are the best settings for the HW Clock Out device when using it with e-rm’s multiclock?

i also found this article/interview and explains more.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/home/news-archive/E-RM-Bitwig-Integration.html

i’ve set tick rate to 1/96, but wasn’t sure if there was anything else i could do to make it work best.

as per that article, i’m going to assume you just need to set the tick rate to 1/96 and activate the gate button.

bitwig_multiclock

i heard back from e-rm and they said these are the following idle settings for the multilcock when using the HW Clock Out device.

Bitwig Studio 2.3 Beta 5 was just released.

Changes in Bitwig Studio 2.3 Beta 5

Released on 23.02.2018.
NEW Preference to enable/disable updating of play-start marker from arranger selection.
FIXED Audio engine crash using Phase-4 with 32 voices.
FIXED A controller with no mappings should not show itself in the mapping browser.
FIXED Clips in arranger start numbering at 0 instead of 1.
FIXED Duplicating a device might not initialize polyphonic modulations properly in certain case.
FIXED Clip launcher clips could leave their loop region if the arranger loop button is on.
FIXED Regression in 2.3 Beta 3: Transport synchronization issue with certain VST plug-ins.
FIXED Painting of automation curves in GUI was inconsistent with engine playback.
FIXED Crashed when hitting the escape key in the sample zone editor.
FIXED Minimizing a window may cause a crash on macOS High Sierra depending on selected display profile.
FIXED Saved scenes and clips are not played back with their configured tempo when previewing.
FIXED Arranger does not repaint a clip when it’s displayed title changes.
FIXED Regression: Arranger header no longer shows time selection across all tracks.
FIXED Time selection in layered audio editor is always across all lanes when only single lanes are selected.
FIXED Deleting time in arranger note editor header area should affect clip timeline instead of clip content.
FIXED Raw mode’s “Play Stop” value doesn’t update in real time.
FIXED Wrong clip length for “return to arrangement” post recording action.
FIXED Floating windows and popup windows stopped the keyboard shortcuts for transport play, undo and redo to stop working.
FIXED Regression: OvertonDSP VST GUIs do not work on Linux.
FIXED Incorrect bar number in transport play position display when launching master clips with follow actions.
IMPROVED Voice Stack Modulator: rename Map to Manual.
IMPROVED Recording clips from clip launcher to arranger could sometimes record incorrectly when the start marker in the clip was not at time 0.
IMPROVED Preview player should stretch according to the long / short samples stretch preferences.
IMPROVED Add information to the manual about real time bouncing (eg when using hardware instruments and effects).

https://www.bitwig.com/en/download.html

1 Like

Bitwig 2.3 is out and they’ve posted a long description of their new Phase-4 synth at https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/phase-4-story.html

I have been playing with Phase-4 in the betas and it’s great stuff. Bitwig really is making music on a computer fun again for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:))

3 Likes

This is an excellent article, and shows both a historical context and pretty much a how-to.
The SOUNDCLOUD samples at the very end show well how the technical part fits into real music.

You know how, in Ableton, there’s that list of Parameters that can populate? And if there are more parameters than spaces you can delete that parameter and select another parameter to control?

Is there a way to reconfigure the modulatable parameters in BitWig? I need to get back into p-Locking some Chiptune triangle filters!

1 Like

for those of y’all lookin’ for a controller

speakin’ of controllers, does anyone use push 1/2 with bitwig (or ableton)? if so, how do you like it?

1 Like

list of Parameters… do you mean the ‘configure’ of the device view of 3rd party plugins?