Birdkids offGrid - Kickstarter

In my experience so far (just got mine yesterday) USB midi is a mixed bag, but the latency is very low if for connecting the controller to an iPhone or iPad and then routing the midi with AUM/Audiobus/midimittr out to the hardware. But agreed it’d be a great companion for an M8! I’m hoping over time that more and more hardware ships with BLE midi onboard, but until then I’m happy to just finally have a good hardware controller for all these iOS softsynths and groovebox-y apps I’ve bought over the years.

Interesting. I purchased one last week on a whim since hooking up the quneo to my iPad is just inconvenient enough when I’m out and about to consider something wireless. Interesting quirks to it but we’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

Got one today, it is nice. Solid design and build, nice little mpc-style pads. Perfect for koala sampler on Android using the ble midi app. My ipad is pre-ble, that is a shame.
You’re not going to be doing Bernie worrell pitch and mod bends with the joystick (about 1 cm travel), but using a couple fingers on the stick and a couple fingers braced on the device you can get enough control to make it useable.

1 Like

I backed this campaign from the beginning and received my unit back in November. I love it, it looks and works great. I use it with hardware synths paired with a CME WIDI Master (or Jack) and latency is minimal. It’s great for use in live performances to spice things up a bit. I think Mike has done a great job trying to juggle the complexities of bringing such a device to market and I really don’t like seeing any negativity from people who are simply frustrated that they haven’t received their unit when they are fully aware of the problems there have been along the way. I would definitely recommend this low cost device and the way it can be used beyond pairing with mobile/iOS devices is down to your imagination. I am planning on using it to trigger live visuals via Resolume, for instance. You can order one here: Products | birdkids

3 Likes
1 Like

Does this also have USB midi, or is it only Bluetooth?

Only bluetooth but I can’t fully remember, was working with this playing in the background. I remember the maker kept repeating that the newest version of Bluetooth they used in this device has no noticeable latency though.

…birdkids and the bladerunner blues…

like that…

Bluetooth MIDI is nice and fast. I just prefer USB as you don’t have to fuss with connecting it all.

1 Like

Yes everybody has preferences. I prefer tap tempo.

Could be a useful unit, not for me though.

I emailed the maker to ask about USB MIDI and it does have it, as well as the Bluetooth.

Waiting for mine to be shipped (already got the address confirmation around 3 weeks ago).

Has anyone paired this one with an M8 tracker? That would be my ideal combo.

I have one. And an M8.
You can’t pair it directly. You’d need something like that retro kits midi box.

The thing is… if you use a USB-C -> USB-C cable on your mac… it still doesn’t work because of that host-mode thing. It doesn’t know how to negotiate. It works with a USB-C -> USB cable though.

But, I routed the midi in Ableton from Offgrid to M8. It would be such a great companion.

1 Like

That’s a bummer! Have you tried with Bluetooth midi with a WIDI dongle?

1 Like

Haven’t tried with these devices but I <3 the WIDI.

It does have USB midi, but yeah as @alexbuga mentioned the USB midi is pretty inconsistent, and tends to work best with a USB midi host.

I connected my CME Widi Master to my MPC 1000. The Offgrid connects to it seamlessly.
So If you have 2 MIDI -> Jack adapters to connect it to the M8 I guess it should work.

They have now a WIDI Jack which is better with M8 because it connects directly with jack cables.

2 Likes

I’ll get that one and give it a go. My offGrid is already on its way!

Using the Offgrid with MPC1000 is actually dope.

There’s a new firmware update for offgrid, which comes with beta support for their custom layout editor, which is pretty exciting. Being able to bind your own custom layouts and commands will be really nice.

https://support.birdkids.io/hc/en-gb/articles/4412947200657-Firmware-Changelog

3 Likes