Biggest common workflow mistakes?

I don’t think so. I think it’s created when you actually save the sample settings (it stores bpm, slicing, gain, etc.)

2 Likes

I think this might be the part I haven’t fully comprehended yet. I don’t have my OT in front of me at the moment, so I’ll have to confirm when I get home, but I recall feeling like saving the sample data was not as straight-forward as I expected. However, this might be because I’ve mostly been working with the recording buffers and then saving their contents out to files after editing.

When you assign a new sample to the slot, does that settings (.ot) file get associated with the new sample instead?

Also, is there a full list anywhere of the files the OT creates when saving various elements/parameters, and what they contain? Maybe it’s the programmer in me, but I feel like that would help me visualize things from the OT’s perspective, in terms of architecture.

No, .ot files are SAMPLES settings.
Such settings are created when you go into Audio Editor (AED), and go in the FILE tab then hit “SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS”.
You usually do this after slicing your sample, and maybe turn off the ATTR/timestretch setting, which I always do.

3 Likes

Ok, got it. Thanks!

When there is already an equally named .ot file on the CF card then these settings get loaded into the slot.

SAVE SAMPLE SETTINGS will save the trim, slice and attribute settings in a separate file and link it to the sample currently being edited. Next time the sample is loaded to a Flex or Static sample slot it will be loaded together with the saved sample settings. This will occur even if the sample is loaded in another project. Hence this command is very useful if you for example want a loop to always contain the same slice settings when being loaded.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

I definitely read this passage in the manual, but I guess since I hadn’t applied it while working yet, it didn’t fully click (also, I’m realizing it’s difficult to have this discussion without the machine in front of me; note to future self)

And it’s understandable that even reading these lines over and over it might really make sense only when you feel the need for it.

2 Likes

Also… if you save the file you’re editing to the card (SAVE SAMPLE AS, i think it’s called), the .ot file with the current settings is also saved. So if you are editing, and you choose to SAVE FILE AS, you’ll also save the current trim, slice, tempo and volume settings.

2 Likes

Yeah. There are a number of things in the manual that struck me that way. I think the most confusing one that I think I get but am not sure yet, is the concept of trigless trigs. The first time I read that I did a double take like “whut” :sweat_smile:

(posting this late because I hit my allowed number of replies for the day)

Awesome, that’s helpful to know, thanks!

1 Like

Think of a saxophone player who starts blowing a note, changes breath pressure to lower or increase volume, or changes lip pressure to raise or lower the pitch. She doesn’t restart the note each time one of these changes occurs.

2 Likes

There’s also trigless locks. The difference is a trigless trig will trig LFOs and envelopes if they are set up that way, a trigless lock will only ever change parameters.

4 Likes

That was exactly my interpretation, so it sounds like I do actually understand. Thanks for the insight!

Ah, also a super important distinction, as I was expecting the “trigless” aspect to mean LFOs wouldn’t be re-triggered, etc. either, so thank you for that distinction, that’s very helpful.

Trigless means they don’t trig the sample.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah, that’s what came clear with your last comment. Obviously, I haven’t really read (in a comprehensive way) these sections of the manual yet, so I wasn’t even aware of the locks. It makes more sense now knowing they exist that there would be a difference in how the two operate.

1 Like

Reload (Func) is right next to function. Tapping about fast caught me out when I hit both by mistake. My tweaks to my part was reloaded and lost.
I now save parts often (more often than save project).

1 Like

Creating a very long sample in an old project with many banks and flex slots taken up, done something weird to my old tracks once. It seemed to mess with the memory and lose some slots.
My older tracks didn’t play back proper - whatever I done.
I now don’t feel he need to fill all banks for each project ,but realise projects can be just one track or idea. No need to fill flex list…
Edit…as it shares ram memory with recorders.

1 Like

The first time I owned an Octatrack, I was constantly frustrated with my flex recorders getting overwritten.

There are several ways to re-arm one-shot record trigs, including Stop-Stop, which I use often to cut off long samples etc.

The solution for me was to switch off all methods, so only pressing the Track+Yes can arm one-shot record trigs. I’m a few days into my second Octatrack and it’s way less fustrating so far.

8 Likes

Yeah, one of the first things I do in a new OT project is the recorder settings menu (where you can allocate how much memory per track recorder you reserve, how many you dedicate (I always only dedicate T1-4 for recorder buffers, etc.

3 Likes

I always just use the Track + Rec3 button (for recording the internal source on Rec3)

2 Likes

One thing that took my some time to get to grips with OT was gain staging. Not sure if I’d call it a mistake, but I’m happy I now have a sort of standard levels amount, which I know works well compared to levels of my other gear and which receives incoming levels into the mixer around the right amount of gain, etc.

3 Likes