Big OT 1 issues

I recently sold a perfectly working OT 1 and upon its arrival across the country it now apparently has all kinds of issues.
The guy says they seem like electrical issues.
I’m so stressed out about it because I’d never dream of ripping someone off.
If I take it back then I’m literally trading my old excellent OT for this new (mine…¿)
Definitely nonworking OT
Isn’t there a diagnostic tool like the A4?
What should I do?

If anything, it’s probably a cable-issue from one board to another inside the box.

I don’t think you can be responsible for what has happened during shipping, unless it was packaged exceptionally bad.

Kind regards

Thomas

Also, check part 18.1 in the OT manual.

/Thomas

1 Like

Are you sure the buyer isn’t just trying it on as they’re suffering with buyer’s remorse and looking for an excuse to return it?

Not unusual for someone to get their hands on an OT and suffer a large dose of WTF? until they spend some quality time developing some muscle memory.

Also, if you do accept a return, make sure the one you get back is actually the same unit you sold. Double check the serial number as that’s a fairly common scam for someone to replace their own faulty unit with one they bought online…

Only one issues, good start.
Sorry for bad joke.

Which countries?

OT MKI also have a test mode with Function + Power. Unfortunately OT MKI PSU is particular, not easy to find a similar one to test. Probable culprit.

How long had he had it before these faults appeared? This is crucial.

Don’t stress out. Stay calm and cool and don’t assume.

Confirm to the person that you sent out a fully intact OT. Then ask them to send you some footage of the issue they claim to have.

Assess whether that is something you might have missed when you owned it, something that could have happened during the transport, or something that points to user error / the new owner’s fault.

In any case, be supportive but be clear - you’ve sold a fully functional device (if you are certain of that).

I once bought a camera second hand from a guy (a Canon), bought it in person but didn’t check it thoroughly. When I got home I put in an SD card and the camera wouldn’t recognise it at all. I txted the guy to find out whether he knew anything about this or had an idea what it could have been. I didn’t even assume at that time that he willfully sold me something broken. However, his reaction was so defensive and aggressive that I got upset over that and his behaviour made the situation and my suspicions worse.

In my case it turned out that he sold me something “as new” that had been actually refurbished (which he didn’t mention)— this is illegal in Germany and I had my lawyers shake him up a bit. Ultimately I let it slide though, some we win some we lose and shit happens.

My point is, don’t get stressed or defensive. If you are certain you sent out a fully functional device then you should practice that confidence. You can be understanding and supportive and still firm in your stance.

Your buyer should contact Elektron’s Support with his issues. They may be able to help better than both of you could speculate :slight_smile:

Good luck!

4 Likes

Can you tell that he had some issues when he tested it out but would contact me later when he got home in case it was an issue where he was at
So I assume once you plug it in it was already given him a problem or he was experiencing some issues but when he went home he had the same issue maybe more in depth and he said now it seems to develop to even more issues none of these issues or anything I’ve noticed or experienced with it in particularly I almost never used it although I have had it on for a couple hours at a time on occasion (Across the six months that I owned it) to try to learn it and stuff

I agree that you should stay friendly and helpful. I would ask for a precise description and/or video of the misfunction in order to better understand what is going on.

If the buyer is honest, and in my experience the vast majority are, this might also be quite stressful for him/her. (I recall that I alerted the seller of my used A4 because I thought one of the main outs was broken. Turned out is was my own headphone cable…)

Best advice. What are the issues he’s having? As others have stated, tons of people have “issues” with the Octatrack and it turns out it’s just so esoteric.

1 Like

He sent me a couple videos of what’s going on I just haven’t had time to watch yet
I doubt it’ll make any sense to me as I got rid of it because I couldn’t understand oh I could use it too well OK so like too much although it was super impressive with what it can do even with a good slow piano sample…blew my mind