Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 30 | Chick Corea - Crystal Silence

Cheers fam. The Beatles challenge was a very good distraction/focus last week! I’d like to have a go at this one too but might not make the deadline :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lovely track!

3 Likes

Planned to do something relaxing and mellow but zoned away a bit into I dont know.

5 Likes

@proskynesis these are both awesome man, and that second one is a serious meditative journey man! Also, sounds like you found that phat Benny Benassi Satisfaction synth too :wink: Thanks for sharing the grooves man :beers:

1 Like

Work in progress loop…

5 Likes

@looms gorgeous loop man this jam is lovely, with an awesome bass exit at the end (that was hot man, respectfully) :beers: Thank you for channeling your energies and sharing!

1 Like

Thanks man :slight_smile: Such a sick sample. Not sure I’ll get around to doing any more to the beat but it was a good focus/distraction mixed with therapy making it haha.

This brought back an album from 2010 I went through a time of listening to a lot. The Crystal silence jam is a good one! Tribute to Chick Corea | Chief

This one is imo :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

I did a lazy morning one

5 Likes

@looms nice find and dope tribute/album idea! Switzerland homie knows what’s up :cool: seeing that 2010 was an interesting feeling, and it does not feel like it was almost 14 years ago :no_mouth:
Felt like this for a moment

@Yabba love the sections you chose and how you decided to use them man this is wonderful! Thanks for sharing! :beers:

2 Likes

Absolutely cathartic to release something after struggling with writer’s block for the entirety of the pandemic - thank you so much for the open invitation and will be participating in these regularly.

Gear: Reason 12 stock devices + Noise Engineering rack extensions

3 Likes

@joeykaram welcome aboard! That samplage is tasty and it’s nice to see someone else using reason! Thanks for sharing! :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks buddy, I tuned some bits up to +7 and some to -5 and some stay at 0 and it seemed to work ok, it’s a really great track you’ve supplied and I do wanna do a Digitakt beat with it at some point.
I used Ableton again, for some reason I’m finding myself wanting to use it again recently to make the whole beat.
I think I’ve put too much sidechain from the bass tone to the kick and it ducks out too much.
I used to use the same sidechain settings all the time on the compressor in Ableton and it’s annoying me that I can’t remember what they are :joy:

2 Likes

Sounds good to me mate! I’m always impressed how clear the elements of your beats sound honestly. It’s something I often struggle with I think partly because I tend to be lazy/go for a quick vibe and put a load of stuff on the master which can sound exciting but tends to smush everything up too much. I can’t help myself though. I’d be interested to know your process with mixing/mastering as you’re developing your tracks sometime if you wouldn’t mind and have the time to share.

@joeykaram, this is a lovely vibe and congratulations on overcoming the writer’s block. You’re not alone with that one. These challenges are a great way to have a starting point and experiment and not be too precious I’ve found. Hope to see you again around these parts :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Hey guys.

First of all, thanks @aarb420 for opening the doors to this little game. I stumbled on it only yesterday and though it would be a good exercise for me to get back to music concretisation -I have a couple of works on-going which I struggle to finish. Moreover, it is an opportunity to get back to sampling and improvising with my beloved elektron box. Finally it’s cool to hear what other musicians do with the same material, I like this kind of exercise.

Hence this short, lazy, Sunday improv session result. Only some dynamics process was added afterwards, other than that it is one take. You can feel it :smiley:

I’m 31 minutes late based on the time it is here in France, but this was fun and I read somewhere late contributions were ok!

4 Likes

@stiiiiiiive Welcome aboard! This song feels like floating in the clouds man great track, and thanks for sharing! :beers:

Cheers man :slightly_smiling_face: your beats sound ok to me mastering wise.
With regards to mastering mine, I don’t have a studio I literally use Digitakt and a JBl Charge 3 Bluetooth speaker to make everything Ive done on here for the battles etc.
And I check for panning in cheap Panasonic headphones.
I do all Levels/Eq and filters in Digitakt and pretty much all I do when it’s bounced as a single waveform is lots of L2 limiter.
Sometimes I cut all frequencies above 12khz on the master then boost slightly around 10khz but that’s about it really.

Thanks again bud

2 Likes

How have those survived those massive consistent bangers :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Nice one man, your stuff really does sound great. There’s a lot to be said for using non pro gear for listening sometimes :slight_smile: I tend to use my laptop speakers only a lot these days though which probably isn’t the way to go as my tunes seems to sound veeeery different when I listen on earphones later :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thanks mate :slight_smile:
Clouds courtesy of Mr Corea!

1 Like

Thank you @everyone for joining us again for this sampling endeavor, and for making fun journeys for us all to embark on :beers: Looking forward to another fresh sample to uncover itself soon, but until then wish you all a lovely week ahead full of wonderful sounds :sun_with_face:

4 Likes