Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 05 | 30/70 Collective - Steady Hazin

I’m not going to make anything on time for this one but might come back to it later as I’m focusing on the hiphop battle atm

3 Likes

No worries! Drop in when you can this is a no pressure brief :ok_hand:

Having the Filter FX on a track impacts the output even if it’s zero’d out, so I wondered if the issue you had was to do with that more than the scenes - depends what else has changed :laughing:

EZBOT keeps his A scene muted and uses it as his ‘neutral’ point, with effects on B - this should enable you to use scenes how you want but ensure that you can guarentee an ‘unaffected’ state.

1 Like

So this is a beat I was recycling over the weekend but I was working on for this challenge. As much as I love the whole track I just really wanted to grab those vocals and make them ghostly!

I threw away most of the sample but I’d like to come back to it at some point and do more.

One of the things I love about the OT is this - and it really shows in your track how you were able to make the most of it!

5 Likes

AHHHHH YEAH, MAN! That was an awesome journey in the rain!

You hit a home run on everything from the rain fx and drums spank really well, but it’s really incredible how you were able to get her to sing those lovely house “OOOHS!” :muscle: Those were iconic oohs, bruv. Tasty track!

Thanks for that vid, man! :beers: I have to study this with an attentive ear now that the beat is done.
I love EZ-Bots layouts/tutorials, but I always try to start projects from scratch to put my own spin on things (as lite as they can be). I’ve actually noticed a big difference in how samples playback by using his scenes layout on the OT, and the way it handles samples on my OT is cleaner vs starting from scratch. Not sure, again, if it’s the way OT processes the fx, but hopefully will understand more by the next challenge haha. :sweat_smile:

@monquixote good luck on your project, man!

1 Like

Believe it or not, but I used alot of elements from the sample.

But I used alot of micro edits and processing on the 404.

Sorry for the noise.

I will say… I did rush it to meet the deadline, but also Im crazy busy now, so I wanted to just put up anything

4 Likes

No worries, same!

This is a cool jam! I really wanted to hear it break into something :metal:

Will be in the sample pack anyway but here you go :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

On listening to my track back there are a bunch of vocal improvements I’d want to make… I might fiddle with it a bit more at some point.

2 Likes

I tried a couple things, but it was a bad weekend of production for me. I spent HOURS trying to fix my track for the Tarantino beat battle.

I’ve only had the 404 for three months or so, and I’m hitting all the learning curves that goes into sample based production.

I was so burnt out that I tried to do this in the daw with drum loops, and make it into a DnB track. But the drum break I was using was clashing with the drums in her sample.

I even timestretched her vocals to tempo match, but the timbre of the drums were too disparate. So I gave up and went into the 404 and used one of the beastly delays to get the drone in the background using her voice as a loop. Feedback high but time real low.

And then I rough chopped her drum hits to try a do a Noisia type thing, but I was falling asleep at the pads and have to do a bunch of graphic design work for school this week.

Blah blah blah. Excuses.

My point is that I’m hoping to have a better approach to chopping samples so I don’t fight it so much in the middle part of production.

It’s not like using a drum machine, where you just switch out sounds and do variations. WAY more goes into chopping samples.

2 Likes

THAT’S AWESOME MAN THANK YOU FOR SHARING! :fire:

IDK what improvements you’re after, but that track came out crispy and those vocals vibrated down to my gut, causing the decrepit biome to flourish for a moment, even with headphones on :muscle:

@BLKrbbt Don’t let it deter you from trying! If you find yourself having a hard time sampling, find a sample based track you really like, hop on to whosampled.com, and try to recreate it 1:1 as close as you can with the gear you have available, and with no time frame in mind. This will help tune your ear to better be able to locate sections in a song to use in your work the way that you would want to use it.

What helped me out a lot was listening to a lot of jazz on the radio, and sometimes classical, during work. Drums and bass are usually washed out so its easier to focus on other elements.

To be fair though, out of the 10 plus years I was with Akais (2000xl/60II/S950), I’ve never been able to achieve as close to what the OT is capable of doing to a sample in the time that it takes vs using a DAW or on an MPC. OT will also “suggest” different possibilities that one wouldn’t necessarily even be able to imagine in the moment vs on MPC/DAW it’s more deliberate which sections of the song are sampled.

2 Likes

I appreciate that! And I’m still going for it. I’m looking forward to this upcoming break from school to really have some fun with samples.

I just got to figure out how to do what I’m doing, and I’m learning with every beat.

1 Like

The new thread reminded me of this one, I did get something going for this but it wasn’t really going anywhere, great track but sampling from it never really clicked for me of settling into anything I liked. Then I got distracted away from it.

Nice to see what you all did with the sample. especially one that wasn’t working out much for me. Maybe I should have pushed it a little more

I enjoyed listening to you tracks

2 Likes