Bi-timbral synths, portable and affordable?

Hello All,

What recommendations are there for bi-timbral or multi-timbral synths that are portable and ideally affordable?

I have an OP-Z and recently got an MicroMonsta 2 to thicken up the sound. I’m looking for another compact synth that could do bass and polyphonic leads. Below are the ones I’ve found, but I’d be surprised if there aren’t others.

Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2
Fred’s Lab Tooro
Fred’s Lab Buzzy
Roland JD08
Roland JX08
Waldorf Blofeld
Access Virus (not cheap and I doubt portable)

Are there more that people would recommend?

EDIT: full list recommended…

Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2
Fred’s Lab Tooro
Fred’s Lab Buzzy
PreenFM 2 or 3
DSI Tetra
Ambika
Waldorf Blofeld
Roland JD08
Roland JX08
Roland MC-101
Sonicware Liven XFM
Novation Circuit (Tracks)
Model:Cycles
Digitone
Analog Four
1010music Blackbox
Akai MPC One
Novation Nova Laptop
Redsound Darkstar
Korg Electribe 2 (synth)
MicroKorg XL
Access Virus
Jupiter XM
MFB Synth Pro
Yamaha FB01
Prophet 12

3 Likes

Novation Nova Laptop. (drawback: non-standard PSU)

also: Roland MC-101, Korg Electribe 2 (synth), Novation Circuit Tracks :wink:

P.S. Red Sound Darkstar — if you’re brave enough

5 Likes

Grab a Virus B or A. Super affordable now, small enough to fit in a bag and sound amazing.

2 Likes

Digitone!

4 Likes

I don’t own one, but I think both preenFM 2 and preenFM 3 are multi-timbral. No effects though.

1 Like

+1 for MC-101

1 Like

DSI Tetra

2 Likes

A few other options:

• DSI Prophet 12
  • MFB Synth Pro
  • iOS synths in general
  • Yamaha FB-01 (and others in the line)

I really wish more synths were bitimbral or multitimbral.

5 Likes

The new Roland JX 08 and JD 08 should fit the bill perfectly… thinking of getting myself the JX 08 to pair with my Digitakt.

3 Likes

I think the Jupiter xm is bi timbral and is battery powered and also has built in speakers.

1 Like

Ahh … didn’t realise that was bi-timbral.

2 Likes

It’s actually multitimbral!
4 parts, not just limited to 2.

2 Likes

I actually used to have a Red Sound Darkstar! But I sold it with a bunch of other gear a few years ago. It often gets a bad write up but I quite enjoyed it.

1 Like

Thanks so much for all these great suggestions! Some of them I’d never heard of and will have to listen to.

I had been reluctant to consider a groovebox like MC-101, Circuit Tracks, or Digitone, but they might make sense. (I love grooveboxes, but was just looking for synth duties, so want quality and compactness rather than sequencers etc)

Could Model:Cycles be used as a bi-timbral bass and lead/keys synth or is it too limited?

Are the in-built synth engines of Tracks good? Need to relisten to MC-101.

Since the release of the JD-08/JX-08, will the Roland SH-01 get an upgrade to be bi-timbral?

If you’ve already got an MM2, that’s pretty hard to beat.

MC-101 has loads of good sounds, but limited ability to sound design, unless you want to do it on Roland Cloud or an MC-707.

SH-01a is great because it’s so simple and basically knob per function. I actually wouldn’t want one that’s bi-timbral. It would be cool if they made one with built in FX though. The new boutiques look cool, might be a good option.

Digitone is awesome.

Maybe consider getting a sampler and just do all your sound design on the MM2.

4 Likes

The MPC One has a pretty good synth engine now. Relatively portable.

I’d say it’s quite limited. I like the bass sounds I get out of it. Very limited envelope, decay only, unless you’re willing to sacrifice your only LFO to get control over the attack. No filter sweeps. If you like what you hear in demo videos, go for it, but don’t assume it can do very much more.

2 Likes

Tetra is a great call. I love mine. If I took the time to program it properly I’m sure I could get a full set worth of sounds out of it.

But I also agree with:

2 Likes

I also agree that MM2 is hard to beat, on a sound quality, portability, sound design possibilities, and on, well, almost everything.
If you like its sound and just don’t have enough with its 2 voices, grab another one would be ok, despite redundant.
If you want other sonic territories in a small form factor, MC101 can be an excellent choice. Just remember that just a little amount of sound design is possible with this machine, and be prepared for presets diving. But these presets can sound very nice, and the fx can turn them to different beasts.
I use sometiles both MC101 and MM2 with Deluge, all these work very well together

3 Likes

Tetra

used Tetra prices gone crazy these days — typically about $1000, which is 20% more than brand new Tetra back in the days.

but there is another similar machine that should be mentioned here — Ambika.

i got one instead of spare Tetra, and i love it.

there are some places that offer assembled units.

2 Likes