BEWARE: screwing into ear-rack holes

Hope you get them sorted.

As a few people have said, the ‘problem’ is that the mounting holes in the sides of the Elektron cases perfectly line up with the control PCB that is mounted to the underside of the top panel. This is true of all Elektron machines.

I measured the inside of the cases and there is just about 5mm of space between the inside edge of the enclosure and the edge of the PCB.

When I supply mounting screws with my acrylic stands I only send 6mm screws with stands made from 3mm acrylic and 8mm screws with 5mm stands. This means that only 3mm of the screw actually penetrates the enclosure.

So someone tried to MAKE A GOOD POINT to Beethoven, but the DEAF ELF EAR only listened with the flesh, not with the mind.

Uhh… What?

Yeah, I told the ebayer that sold me the item that they should reconsider the size of the screws they send people so that this no longer happens. But I don’t want to say who it was because I don’t really blame them for it.

Just sucks in general that it has this, as you put it, ‘problem’ with the control PCB. Like I said, I should get it sorted!

Oh man, my heat stopped when I read your post Acemon. I’ve been enjoying your 2X MNM videos a lot, so this was especially unfortunate to read about!

When I bought my MNM from my local synth store there were no screws (or stickers) included in the box. Maybe the store owner “misplaced” them. I don’t know.

Anyway, I ended up making my own end cheeks, when fortunately forced me to delve into the manual to find the screw size I needed. Long story short, I had to drive all over town to find the exact right screw size (actually had to go to a shop that sells only screws!). I cringe at the thought that I could have easily done this same damage to my brand new MNM and MD, had I not been forced to go find the exact screws!

I agree 100%, there should be a warning posted next to the mount holes:
“WARNING! Use only 4x6mm screws. Using other sizes of screws will cause damage to internal parts.”

Glad this won’t be a big deal for you to get fixed.

I have noticed on ebay (USA) of late, some rather “low-rent” looking homemade stands for sale (extremely cheap) that are indeed made of plywood and particle board and veneer and something to watch-out for with such stands is that you must use a spacer/washer because the very nature of that type of extremely cheap wood composite is those screws will very quickly wear away at the composite wood and a natural inclination may be to tighten them, which could be extremely bad news for anyone’s Elektron. FYI.

That was indeed the location of my purchase.

And sadly, my little synth friends are still in the shop being fixed… :confused:

However, I did like how they looked in the wood casing!

Just a shame that it cost me a lot more than what I paid for!

Noticed that particular seller has amended all their posted sales/racks to state, “Now with shorter screws”, so lesson learned at least. Hope the costs are not too much for your repairs and are back to making cool music real soon! :wink:

I didn’t want to draw particular attention to any one seller, though you’re probably right. They were really nice and clearly felt terrible about it. Though I suppose, buyer beware, when it comes to screwing things into your synths (even if holes were put there by the company)…

Still, I sit and wonder what the f@ck Elektron was thinking…A few millimeters in either direction and no damage would’ve occurred.

@acemonvw–Did your repair person get your machines sorted/fixed yet? If so, was it an expensive repair?

It’s still at the shop currently. I called them a few days ago. They hadn’t even looked at it yet. They said they will call me with an estimate. I also received an email from Elektron saying it would cost $350 for a new board (I would need two) plus shipping.

So… hoping it will be cheaper to just get repaired!

I’ll let everyone know how much it costs when I get it fixed. :slight_smile:

If it is to jumper some traces the repair should not cost you much…

Did you finally get your machines back rom repair yet? Hopefully, you did not end-up “Franken-Frying” them.

Hey guys. I FINALLY got them fixed!!!

Took forever, but to be honest, I had two other synths that went into the shop (one being an EMU MP7 that it took forever for them to get parts for). They were going to fix them all at the same time, so when they got around to fixing my MNM’s, they did it over the weekend. They’re fixed!!!

Sadly, they didn’t fix an LED that went out, but I was too concerned at the time about the ‘track 5’ not working that I didn’t even mention it. The LED in question is the ‘song’ LED… I don’t actually use song mode often so I’ll probably never notice it.

And anyway, the likelihood that I’m going to sell these is basically non-existent.

So, it came to a total of $140 to repair them (total). I’m okay with that… it was an expensive mistake, but… I’ve made more expensive mistakes before.

Now, hopefully others did not and will not make this same mistake!!!

Awesome!! Now let’s hear some more dual-monomachine action

been following this thread, great to hear it’s sorted. i just got my MnM and measured case-to-PCB with a toothpick before installing it in my EIT-1 - the screws stick out from the EIT-1 at EXACTLY the same depth as the toothpick measurement. i left them at finger-tight and stopped as soon as i felt resistance. track 5 button still working for now :slight_smile:

I’d say $140 is pretty reasonable considering what was at stake! Good to hear.

I recently broke a vacuum cleaner by setting it down ‘firmly’ (okay, I was pissed). That cost me $300! Your story turned out much better than mine :wink:

I look forward to hearing more of your fantastic work!

Hi. I have just seen this thread and thought I would add to it as I don’t know if the comments were directed towards my panels I make.

I sell them occasionally on Ebay UK and the screws I use protrude approx 3mm into case.

Pictures below.

No, not your panels. The one’s in question are definitely Stateside based. Your panels also look 100% more professional.

Hey Flat, nope… not your panels, but shit… I love the middle ones, can you link me to them? Also, I didn’t want to point anyone out. The person that sold me them felt terrible and later switched the screws that were used.