Better Drum Programming

Your drummer friend was right! It‘s called linear drumming^^
It was in the book „Making Music 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers“ by Dennis DeSantis I read about that concept.

5 Likes

Piggy backing on the linear programming and the “only use 4tracks” approach,
How about using just one track?
You could use sound locks and p locks.
I think I’ll give this a try, I could use some practice with that type of utilization.

2 Likes

It’s good and all, but I figure if you have access to three or four drums you might as well use them.

When I use the Bbox machine in my MnM linear is how I keep it. Kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, then a second track for hats.

Skip to like ten minutes

3 Likes

Thanks
@Clancy @GirTheRobot

1 Like

Digitakt has send fx, so sure you could use one track for drums and lock the send level if you want some fx. Ofc I also use sample locks on my OT. Since tracks are monophonic each sample gets cut off by the next one that’s triggered, so I’d use sample locks (or sample chains) for choking open and closed hats, but I also use them for variations.
I have a few drum machines I like sampled with different accents and/or sampled through outboard gear/recorded on to tape, so usually I do quite a lot of sample locking.
Using the same drum sound with different accents and different types of saturation is a mostly subtle but pretty effective way of introducing variation.
But I also put totally different drum sounds on the same track based on the type of insert fx loaded into the fx slots.
The linear drumming approach definitely makes that easier.

Also it frees OT tracks that might be needed later in the track, Thru Machines and maybe Neighbour Machines or any other stuff I might want to do,
Also prevents excessive fx use. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I second all of these.
I got great results adding ‘ghost notes’ - low volume, low probability, maybe microtimed just slightly off - really humanises the feel.

2 Likes

It may be not the most direct and fastes way to a good drum programming, but beeing a non-drummer and having had the impression that my drum programming sucked, I bought an electronic drum kit and started to learn at least some basics myself.

It’s much fun to work with the sticks and my feet, to feel the body moving, and listening to the beat. After some time I recognised that my “programmed” drum parts became more and more vivid, groovy, and swinging. I think it’s because I somehow understood, what I was looking for, and could somehow imagine, what I should do :wink:

BTW there is a much cheaper way … get a drum-pad for some bucks, the ones drummers use to practice without their kit, two sticks, watch some of the many excellent online-tutorials, or get a beginners book to learn the basics.

3 Likes

Listen to Mike Clark play the drum set. Linear funk master.

A great way to use conditional trigs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The first instrument I learned to play was drums, I don’t play regularly anymore and you don’t need to be a drummer to be a good drum programmer but I do think there’s some truth to this.

Anyway conditional trigs, parameter locks, and the fill button are all there to help you add depth and feel to your beats without adding MORE drums/sounds. Use different reverb amounts, decay times, and pitch on snare hits in your fills or conditional trigs. And don’t forget about chromatic mode!!

2 Likes

Saw it on Amazon last night! Wish I had an extra $60 laying around

Making Music: 74 Creative Strategies for Electronic Music Producers https://www.amazon.com/dp/3981716507/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CUvvDbS5VG4H5

1 Like

Its in the apple book store.
No huge revelations in that book. Its kinda just common sense ideas. Read it…4.5/10

3 Likes

Yeah, you can get the ebook for 9,99€.
I actually enjoy reading such books, because they make me look at the topic through from a different perspective and it’s always good to renew knowledge.
Also I think it’s good to sometimes do things in a different way, just for the sake of doing it differently.
I also usually skim through tutorial sites every morning :slight_smile:
So from this perspective I’d say it’s definitely worth reading no matter how long you’ve been making music.

4 Likes

Just starting to use more pattern variation for drum transitions. Add some toms at the end of the phrase, mute everything else. Throw a crash symbol in there. The hard pattern flip works well at times, but only in certain scenarios.

1 Like

it’s still available for ‘normal’ price here:
https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/#making-music

1 Like