Best YouTube channel to follow

Sorry other youtubers, but this is how it ought to be :wink: … each moment of content is purposely packed with fibre rather than feeling like a (time) filler, it’s all about the possibilities and the process and the outcomes … very considered (i.e. gear is understood), no baggage

it’s probably not a template for (commercial) success[unfortunately, as with out-there music] as it’s tailored to folk who value such insights and you need patience as it’s really exploring the depth (generally of the smallest aspects) - more a labour of love that others get to enjoy (if and) while it’s there

for me this way ofgetting inside stuff is a bit of a busman’s holiday in the sense it mirrors my curiosities in understanding gear (although i haven’t watched his Elektron videos), but when they’re framed by someone else’s approach/instincts there’s still lots to glean - the more with less philosophy is one which really resonates with me

more than anything these are relaxing (strangely comforting) and insightful - the eclectic style and measured pacing are refreshing - i wish there were more channels in this vein; it’s not super active (recently) but the content is so good/timeless that you can get something from revisiting videos, even for stuff you don’t own

seems like a very nice chap too … i dig the gentle southern accent and especially the sedate delivery but it makes squeezing in a video in one sitting tricky (most seemed ballpark 45-60mins), it’s that whole change of gear that makes it relaxing and refreshing - hoping the channel stays periodically active, but it’s clear the guy has an enquiring(scientific/creative) mind so probably channeling that into other more worthy endeavours than entertaining a rare few similar souls around the interweb - the many positive comments on his content are testament to this uniqueness; when it hits the spot you’re compelled to acknowledge how much of a rare treat this particular quality of content is - as now i guess!

really a very singular approach (zero ego although it’s very much of the creator), maybe not for everyone but deserves a plug, glad i stumbled upon it … recommended viewing, keen to learn of others with this less ‘clicks-by-numbers’ template/aesthetic

as mentioned above it’s very chill, but the creative direction the gear is being quietly steered is not; no muzak … plus with agreeable scattered objects, cats, robots, whiteboards and total transparency, what’s not to like

11 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/user/jefgibbons

This guy has some good Maschine tutorials but a lot of his Maschine packs reviews seem a bit more like commercials.

Confession time: I used to think a lot of the content providers I watch have issues. What kind of issues? Not serious, but… Sometimes I watch a Tim Shoebridge video and think “Dude. Can’t you take the time to comb your hair and shave before getting in front of the camera?” Then I watch a Nu-Trix video and think “Dude. It is time to do something about that beard. Either color it or shave it. Right now it looks like someone took a sharpie to your face and made scattered little marks.” Yes, I know. Harsh. But that is what I was thinking. Then I watch a Jef Gibbons video and think "This dude is too Hollywood. Always looking perfect and sitting in a perfect studio. He needs to loosen up and be more like Shoebridge or Nu-Trix. But he always looks like he spent the morning in the gym, then went to a barber before choosing his standard tight black t-shirt to show off his muscles.

But, the honest truth is, if I looked like Gibbons and had his studio I would be posting 2 videos a day just to show off. The reality is, on my best day I would not look as good as Shoebridge or Nu-Trix looks on their worst day. So I will just sit in my recliner and watch the good content providers and wish I had the nerve to do that. Yep, like everyone else, I have issues. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Octadad all day!!! Love his sense of humor

5 Likes

And also we might be sleeping on Jorb (not super Elektron centric but I’ve learned some shit)

3 Likes
3 Likes

Just watched that. Thanks for sharing. Amazing. Could Untrue even get made today? (WRT this thread What’s the Law/Rules Around Using Samples)

This one is pretty interesting for junglists and music historians.

10 Likes

Whaaaat, no sonicstate.com and Loopop?

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/c/UnderdogElectronicMusicSchool

I enjoy the unexcited presentation of that guy.

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/saw2f2

1 Like

My god this Beato guy. I had to tell YT to stop pushing his channel at me.

9 Likes

And did that do any good ? I suspect he spends big money on promotion.

So many long videos with so little to say except that things were better in the old days.

1 Like

He does have a point about the MIDI chord pack thing. I also like his “What makes this song great” series.

2 Likes

Ehsan Gelsi is an absolute beast

1 Like

Great thread! Doesn’t look like anyone has posted the brilliant @ylva yet

https://www.youtube.com/c/ylvatrax

4 Likes

indeed. extremely impressive

1 Like

Best YouTube channel to follow - #36 by ViolentMeals (not a complaint, so good they named it twice, just that you said it hadn’t, and it has :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Excellent!