Best way to "Sync" The Digitakt to other Elektron Machines

So I have just been doing this by ear which is fine but it would be nice if I could press play on the digitakt and have the monomachine sequencer start playing at the same time. For now I would like to avoid using the digitakt midi sequencer to trigger the mono because there are things on the monomachine sequencer that cannot be replicated on the digitakt. This should be fairly easy right? Have I been staring at my machines too long?

Midi clock sync. Easy peasy.

Manual. Chapter 15.3. Midi sync. Should get you up and running in no time.

5 Likes

Perfect thanks.

3 Likes

Wow that really was easy. Never needed that before as I have a very minimal set up (monomachine, sometimes software plugins). Think my set up is now complete. Now time to master the digitakt and monomachine… Excited for the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Another question. I am currently using my ableton push to play the samples chromatically on my digitakt. I am running a midi cable from my interface midi out to the midi in of the digitakt. Everything works great ableton push plays the samples chromatically on the digitakt.

I then have the midi out from the digitakt connected to the midi in of the monomachine so the digitakt is sending stop and play signals to monomachine. Again, everything working great, it’s all in sync and on time.

The last part of this is I would like to use the push to also play the monomachine chromatically. Can I do this with my current setup? I have a separate track in ableton using the external plugin and set to auto channel (9 for the monomahine). Any other settings I would need to change on the digitakt to make this all work?

Use the midi through on the Digitakt, so that whatever gets sent from the computer/push/interface also gets forwarded through the DT into the MnM.

One midi channel for the Digitakt and another six channels for the Monomachine - if you wanna control them individually.

4 Likes

Okay so now I am able to use the push to control both instruments which is great however now I lost the ability to play them both in sync. Is there a way to play both using the push AND have them both stay in sync when I push play on the digitakt? Thanks for your help these are prob pretty basic questions but I’m a newb when it comes to routing midi.

If you make Ableton Live your midi clock master, it’ll send clock and transport to both instruments.

4 Likes

Ahh very cool. Okay I got it thanks for all the help. Hopefully someone else gets some use out of this thread.

2 Likes

Do elektron machines sync instantaneously when changing from one pattern to the other. I know this was a problem with my OT and ESX1.

They can, if you set them to send/receive program changes. You’d have to get all of your patterns to match each other though!

Hello, I pilot my digitakt with the A4 and program change doesn’t seems to work, I set the DG on program change receive and A4 send, it works perfectly with the OT, the patterns are changing, but A4 to DGTKT, the patterns are not syncing, can you help me please (last OS on the DGTKT)

Wanted to tag onto the end of this thread and hopefully get the reverse of what op was originally after. I am sequencing external machines (OB6 and DX7II) with the digitakt. The dx7 doesnt have a sequencer but the OB6 does… and it auto starts with esch digitakt pattern. Im unsure how to turn this off and would appreciate help or a page in the manual i shiuld be going over.

From Pg 11 of OB-6 Operation Manual PDF:

In Globals / MIDI CLOCK settings on the OB6, set it to “In, No Start/Stop”, as highlighted below: