Best way to sample an analog bassline?

Possible with :
Patterns with different plocks
Patterns with different parts
Patterns in Arranger with different scenes

Easiest is Arranger, with a one shot rec trig on first pattern / row.

Oh parts, I did not know it was such important. So if I understand well, there is lot of ways to do what I want, thatā€™s a great news !

About scene, if I change to a new slice (so I play another variation of the loop), will it plays the sample from the current position or will it plays from the slice point (so the beginning of the loop).

@sezare56 donā€™t want to use pattern or plock because Iā€™d like to switch from a loop to another a bit like Iā€™d play with a knob on a synth you see ? Iā€™m looking for a hands on solution involving knob or fader movement to actually play the variation like Iā€™d turn knobs on a synth, not a pre programmed change like patterns. I donā€™t know if itā€™s really clear.

Ok I guess I misunderstood ā€œin timeā€. Understood quantized to the beginning of the loop.
Get an Octatrack first, youā€™ll make your choices after! :content:

1 Like

Yeah, nothing beat the real experience. But knowing I have access to this community and all the knowledge makes me want to know in advance how I could proceed to be better prepared when Iā€™ll actually get the machine.
I already own an A4 and a RY and I mainly write music and play live with those two so I know them pretty well but even if Iā€™m familiar with Elektronā€™s concept, the OT seems really different.

2 Likes

Kind-of similar - Iā€™m currently wanting to get some new material onto my MPC-Live.

Iā€™ve recently been using Helix Native, for distortion on my DAWs, so want to sample with that in-place.

I think what Iā€™m going to have to do, is grab loops with those effects in-place.

ā€¦but Iā€™ll then use delays and reverbs on the MPC Live, so that I can mute/unmute, whilst leaving the delay running.

So, in your bassline scenario, I reckon record loops, especially if youā€™re using say - portamento. You might also want to apply EQ on the OT too, so possibly keep the source sound un-EQā€™d?

Iā€™m open to other suggestions too though!

Any way for you to show me a hands on example of this, my friend?

Oh, waitā€¦NO OT TO TEST?!

Yes Iā€™m on a lost Island, salty air, donā€™t want my OT to rust! Acoustic guitar, melodica. Couldnā€™t resist to bring a tiny electric guitar, mic, looper though. :content:

3 Likes

Enjoy, my friend :ecstatic:

2 Likes

The boat made it this time, thank the flex overlordsā€¦ :smiley: :smile:

2 Likes

Sure they were here tonight, I armed one shots, rhum based.
Traditional sailor songs from hereā€¦
Couldnā€™t SAVE ALL SAMPLES strangely. :content:

Yeah, but mine is broken, unusable. :expressionless:

2 Likes

I was not sure, but I did it last year, with flex

1 Like

I now have an Octatrack and I tried several methods to rebuild my synth parts with it.

• When I have a simple bassline using 2 to 3 notes from the same range, I simply sample a trig and sequence it on the OT. If there are modulations, I sample different variations of this trig and I then slice up the sample and change the slice with a scene. This way I can reproduce the original modulations and I have hands on control to do what I want.
  • When I have a complicated pattern, with notes across different octaves, slides, lots of modulations or whatever that could be hard to reconstruct in the OT, I sample different variations of the entire loop and use the MX chains technique. This is super impressive, I still have the original sound and I can go way further with the OT FXs or sample parameter like retrigs and reverse. Scenes are super powerful and allow me to really ā€œplayā€ the sample like I can do it with knoby synths !
  • Finally, when I just have a part that doesnā€™t evolve much or maybe just a little filter to open, I sample a loop and play it on a Static Machine. I also use effect or OT magic here and there to spice it up a bit.

I just have my OT and I donā€™t know it so much but itā€™s already part of my Liveset and I plan to use it intensively in the future.

7 Likes

Good start with OT, apparently! :content:

1 Like