Best way to record Octatrack performance?

Hi. So; I don’t have a DAW.
I do however have a nice audio interface (it’s coming this week). I was considering buying Logic Pro x or Ableton live, but the only thing I really need to do, is recording my Octatrack sets for publishing.

What software/hardware etc. should I look at? How do you do it (without a DAW)? Mixing, mastering etc. is just done in the OT. I just want a clean recording of the OT master output.

Thanks for your ideas.

I have several methods. One of them is record the main mix straight into a Tascam DR05 field recorder.

Then I transfer that into my computer and ‘master’ it using Ozone.

Or I send it off to someone else to master.

2 Likes

You could use an audio editor freeware like Audacity, Wavosaur etc. to record the audio from OT.
You can also edit the recording then with such a software.
If it’s just capturing the audio output, no need to install a DAW actually.

If you bought an audio interface anyway, try that way and see how you like it?

If you think you’d want to do overdubs, apply fc etc. then consider a DAW.
There are lite/intro versions and trial versions available, Reaper can be used for evaluation without restrictions.

1 Like

Maybe you have already software included with the audio interface.

Its a Universal Audio ‘Arrow’ interface. There does come software with it, but im unsure if it can record the inputs.

I’m sure I could just use QuickTime or something- but just curious how everybody else goes about it, if not using a DAW.

Maybe I was missing some brilliant application for only this purpose?

Think you can get live lite for free and that would be enough to just record and do a couple things

1 Like

I always record MAIN internally. 8m28s max 16 bits with free RAM.
Best quality you can get!
After I copy the file to my Samplitude DAW, normalize + quick Multiband compressor settings.

3 Likes

Audacity! Or A free version of Ableton live. It is normally limited to 8 tracks and 8 rows in session view, which is not needed for what you want. It also has limited devices, but you won’t need those either… ik like Ableton live for it’s simplicity

3 Likes

My preferred audio recording software on Mac is Audio Hijack:

3 Likes

If you’re just using a few tracks, I think you should check out Bitwig Studio 8-Track. It’s a free version of their full DAW and while it lacks some key components like certain built-in instruments and effects and their “Grid” system, it’s really awesome for cutting up and modulating the hell out of everything. It’s very similar to Ableton Live but with a lot more focus on modulation. I’d highly recommend it.

Also, I haven’t done this yet, but I think my plan is to set up my Cue outs and Mains as 4 separate mono channels, since often I don’t need my tracks to be in stereo. Route them appropriately in Studio Mode with Balance and record four tracks with one take. I think often I’ll probably layer some tracks that I’m fine being summed, and may multitrack certain tracks that I want in stereo.

This is all in theory of course, as I haven’t yet gotten to recording things yet.

1 Like

IF I MAY PIGGIE BACK ON OP:

I would be interested in those using iOS devices, Mac, hardware, mixer, and interface with the OCTATRACK and means/methods MIDI/AUDIO chaining and outcomes.

GRACIAS

TGIF

THANKS IN ADVANCE

If I were you, I’d forget about that “without a DAW” thing: that’s more an ideological posture than a practical one. For your purpose, you need a software that records 2 track stereo with basic functions like trim end-start points and export to multiple formats. Any DAW can do that, any audio editor can do that, though some free version have limitations such as not being able to save, or export, but them being free, just download a few and try. Personnally I use Reaper, and I’ve set up a midi footswitch control so that when jamming I can step on a footswitch so the cursor goes automatically to the end of the current sequence, and starts recording from there. That is very convenient to keep track of that instant inspiration, without having to bother to stop everything and configure some sampling tracks in the heat of the moment.

2 Likes

…i don’t know anybody, not using some kind of daw in the end…

ur sure, u wanna record the master out only?
no cue out options, no mastering options., no final edits, no file codecs…nothing but one stem of live twiddling…!?

hmm…

2 Likes

Im pretty new to all this, but isn’t the Octatrack capable of mixing and mastering just fine, with a compressor and we on master track and all other tracks, when needed?

Yes of course. How people were doing to record full albums with 8 mono tracks tape recorders?

30min (per track, obviously) tape length?

Just use a free DAW like Reaper or Audacity. It will let you edit a lot faster, convert file formats etc. You can mix inside the OT for sure, but if you’re not too purist you’ll definitely benefit from doing the last 5 percent of mixing and mastering in the DAW. There’s really no reason to avoid it.