Best value ADAT converters to add more inputs to RME

If you only need USB inputs/outputs on those ADATs, here’s 8 class compliant ones…
same enclosure as the elektron TM-1 and bus powered (and now for 2023…more expensive)

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

1 Like

Well, I need analog in-to-ADAT out, actually. But that is a nifty box! Thanks for sharing!
I feel like I will probably need something like that in the future.

Now I’m curious if that’ll communicate with my Maschine+ :thinking:

I’m on the market for a 8 line inputs/ADAT output, that I’d connect to my RME UCX. It’s for the separate outputs of my TR-8S, I figure that this way I could record my spontaneous fader performance in the DAW…

So, I see different options. I don’t want to go for the Behringer one. There’s the EVO SP8, some MOTU options - I see a MOTU MKII 828 FireWire for 100 euros used, would that work without connecting it to a computer?

I’m curious about:

• Quality of converters, for the line inputs
  • Trouble-free clock for ADAT
  • Standalone use with no issue

I’ve considered buying another RME interface as it ticks all the boxes stress-free but it’s expensive.

So here a new start for gathering opinions :slight_smile:

Edit: I’m in Berlin, Germany, in case anyone has something sutable to offer

Edit 2: there’s a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen for 475 Euros on Thomann, seems a good deal. Anyone knows if that works well standalone? Converters/clock quality?

I have a ucxII, and recently added an octopre to get more ins. ( octopre has no adat in so outs are useless to the rme )

Very satisfied with it. I just connected the adat out to in and it just worked perfectly.( Ucx is set to auto clock by default ) Still need to get a bnc cable to have the RME act as the master though.

I only record synths from all inputs so I won’t comment on mic preamps as they are more than transparent and efficient for my use.
You can get them for 200 bucks used.

1 Like

Nice. I also font need mix inputs.

I think I’ll go with the Scarlett 18i20 as it has adat in and out so the RME can be clock master, and I can try it for a while and return it if it’s not working for me.

I found an extensive article from focusrite about standalone use. Should be fine.

My use case is purely for the TR-8S, noticing that spontaneous drum arrangement via faders is way more fun for me than recording each drum separately and making cuts with my rational brain and mouse. I want to record drums on separate tracks for mixing purposes so…

2 Likes

I’m currently thinking about extending my UAD Apollo 8 with an Apollo X16 for the line ins/outs + an Audient ASP800 via Adat for additional preamps - I think the ASP800 is phenomenal value-for-money, considering the quality of preamps one is getting here.

The alternative is to sell it all and get an Antelope Orion 32+ gen 3/4…but the internet is littered with (older) negative experiences with Antelope customer service and driver support…

I feel one can never have enough ins & outs, especially when hardware instruments are the main tools in the studio.

Ferrorfish pulse 16 + RME Fireface are dream team!

(Just wish on the standart pulse 16 one can add cv functionality)

I got 2 nice coffee cups with ferrorfish logo + 8 adat cables included while ordering a b-stock directly from them.

2 Likes

The Audient units are tough to beat for the price. They’re also a lot cheaper from Thomann, even with shipping to the US.

I have an ASP800, and an SP8, both are stellar.

2 Likes

Have you, or anybody, an opinion about differences regarding quality of converters between with the SP8, ASP800, and the Focusrite 18i20?

Hard to find out for me… I just want a good quality AD conversion for my TR-8S :slight_smile:

Edit: mmm, now that I’m looking more into it, I see the Ferrofish pulse 16… 999 euros, sure, but 16 high quality line inputs. I could use a few more inputs than 8.

Any comment of experience with the quality of conversion of there -> Welcome!

Check out ferrofish, great value for what u get. Love mine.

2 Likes

The preamps and chipset on the ASP800 are the same as their consoles, so very high quality there. Full specs here: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/204781639-ASP800-Detailed-Specifications

The SP8 are also excellent quality, full spec here: https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/12821126517524-EVO-SP8-Technical-Specifications-

I don’t have any experience of the Ferrofish, but bear in mind that the UCX only has one ADAT in and out, so you won’t be able to use all 16 channels from the Ferrorfish into it.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m somewhat tempted by the retro fish and replacing my ucx with a digiface but that’s quite a huge leap…

I’ll sleep on it, wondering whether I gain in quality, and what I lose…

At that price point, I think the quality across all of them is going to be very similar, and I doubt you’d be disappointed with any of them, so just focus on the features that work best for you across all of your options.

If you want 8 channels of clean ADAT, then the SP8 makes sense, but if the additional features of the ASP800 appeal to you then, got that route. If you’ll make use of the additional channels, then the Ferrofish makes more sense.

You can always add another SP8 when you get another interface if you prefer to upgrade slowly. The price of two SP8s is still less than the Ferrofish.

1 Like

With an sp8 for my UCX I’d have 16 inputs, same as a ferrofish plus digiface. It’s also a simpler route.

Just wondering whether there’s a noticeable difference in converters. I guess I’ll find opinions both ways… I’d like some honest down to earth opinion …

The SP8 has a slightly higher dynamic rage than the Ferrofish, likely due to a newer chipset. The ASP800 uses Bur Brown converters, but I can’t find any published info on the SP8 converter chipset.

Ferrofish uses Cirrus Logic.

Measured differences are likely to be very small if any, and likely imperceptible for what you’ll be using it for.

I will say the autogain feature on the SP8 is really useful for gainstaging, and works really well.

Worth noting, if you’re only going to be using the ADAT output on the SP8, you’ll need to use the BNC Word Clock for clock sync. If you connect both in and out, you can use ADAT for Word Clock.

1 Like

Do you know if the analog outputs are DC coupled? Thinking about this for the Push 3 but I’d want to use the outputs for CV. If not, then I’d only use the adat out of the SP8, and Push 3 doesn’t have BNC word clock.

Can’t find anything in the literature, but just tested it by plugin an output into DATA. It sends CV, but only seems to send 2V positive or negative.

If you’re only receiving ADAT from the SP8 to Push 3 ADAT in, you can set the SP8 as Internal clock, Push should slave to it.

If you’re not going to use the ADAT out on Push for anything else, you can connect it to the SP8 and set the SP8 clock source as external.

Ferrofish Pulse16 entered the house. I found one for 800 euros locally, bought new last February so well under warranty.

Is quite fantastic, hassle free and sounds really good. Now I’m thinking of getting a Digiface to benefit from the 16 channels, and keeping my UCX for inputs 17-24 with mic and instrument inputs for casual use. All via adat.

The idea is that everything would be ready to record in my DAW with no re-wiring.

A little puzzle is TRS vs TS. I wrote to ferrofish and the answer is a little vague. What I understand is that I lose 6db by using TS (not a problem so far) and if I use TRS cables with unbalanced equipment I should connect the ring to the ground. As I don’t solder, I guess TS will be fine.

Any experience/opinions about that?

1 Like

I’m trying to start using an analog compressor with my Babyface Pro FS. Do you think the SP8 is probably the best move? I’m concerned about losing quality but it seems like the SP8 is pretty good on that front, right?

The SP8’s AD/DA converters are decent, I don’t think you’ll have any issues. From there it will be to the quality of the compressor’s signal path.

That said, Thomann have good prices on the ASP800, which has some nice preamp features that might work well for what you’re doing.