Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Hi I am using the Korg arp oddessy desktop as it has a sound range as broad as your mind.

2 Likes

always nice, always great - always monophonic! biggest issue with the Elektron Boxes. Due to design. Dont complain, but HAVE to point it out!

your totally right @AdamJay. I love my A4 as well and carved a myriad of sounds out of it, dont get me wrong :wink: But it is an analog Synth and it has a very special sonic character to it that is simply always there. This is what we love the A4 for but this is what naturally limits its usage when it comes to diversity in sound design.

Because: For real diversity you need more! You need Sound Engines that competely differ from each other and deliver Sounds which are unique to each Engine. Offering different Waveforms (+Wavetables) is the icing on the cake in that case and adds to the big picture :wink: This is where the Monomachine shines - and this is where the OP1 is so fu**in amazing! You have completely different sounding Synth Engines that you can layer to your hearts content - to come up with something never heard before - if everything goes right :wink: And the OP asked for a Synth to pair with the Digi if you could only choose one Synth. And obviously i would then choose the most versatile one. Not just in terms of features but primarily in terms of Sound.

We all know: Styles change, own preferences change - and you will keep what offers you the most flexibility in the end :wink: Im looking forward to the day where no one can hear ā€œanalogā€ again. We were at that point in the past already. It will happen again :wink:

2 Likes

Forgot a nice compact analogue 8 paraphonic voices synth : Waldorf Pulse 2

2 Likes

Yep for ā€˜one synth with the most diversity in soundā€™ the A4 is not the best option. No analog is for that matter, unless it is some sort of hybrid with digital oscillators and large modulation matrix also.

3 Likes

The OP said they want something with a broad range of sound possibilities.

A4 qualifies, and does things that other synths wonā€™tā€¦ like work as a master song mode for the song-mode-less DT, or process DTs audio through sequenced FX.

I think the non-synthesis utilities should be considered when looking for that perfect pair.

That said, Virus is a monster.

3 Likes

Ipad with Korg Gadget app & YouTube! Lots of possibilities.

I also have a Micromonsta and an Op-1 though and they are both amazing as well.

1 Like

Yair fair point, depends whether he needs these features or not, but donā€™t forget how good audio sounds when itā€™s passed thru the virus filters and effects :cheeky:

1 Like

I love my Blofeld, highly recommendedā€¦

Elektron-wise though, Iā€™d definitely suggest you consider the A4. Digitakt can take on drummy duties leaving the A4 free for four tracks of analogue lovelinessā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m gonna have to vote OP-1. Nice tiny versatile synth, ripe for sampling both in and out. You can defined get up and go with a synth like that paired with a DT.

That being said, Blofeld is incredibly awesome! Bang for the buck is an understatement.

And A4 is my favorite hardware synth Iā€™ve ever played

1 Like

Yes!

OP-1ā€™s biggest issue is also its biggest strength. The Tape Deck.
This can be used to do marvelous things to creative flow, but it can also be cumbersome to arrange on. However, those various synth modes and sequencers are wonderful!

DT would fill the void when it comes to arranging those sounds.

Use an Elektron sequencer to arrange the sampled sounds instead of the tapeā€¦ brilliant.

1 Like

It seems the moral of the story is that one isnā€™t enough :ecstatic:

4 Likes

Hopefully Elektron gives us the Partnertaktā€¦
a wavetable capable synth with sequenced FX, song mode, fun/unique synth machines with playful graphics, multitimbral, FM, and analog filters.

8 Likes

Can the Digitakt control the TE OP-1, and vice-versa by just connecting the two with a USB cable?

No. you need a host.

Neither is a host.

Oplab, iConnectMIDI1stgen, iConnectMIDI4, Kenton, etc. would work

2 Likes

No, one will be needing a USB Midi host.
@AdamJayā€¦ jinx! :wink:

2 Likes

Is that a costly thing to implement or something? Youā€™d think itā€™d be standard on all these devices in the year 2017. Iā€™m pretty sure the Modor NF-1m has a USB host. If not mistaken, I should be able to just plug the DT or my yet to arrive KordBot directly by USB to the Modor.

Yep, add stereo sampling / sample playback and create artificial intelligence ready to rule the world :grinning:

The Kordbot isnā€™t a USB Midi host. Itā€™s a USB to Midi interface. I believe this means it will convert incoming USB Midi messages to outgoing 5 pin Din hardware devices. At least tharā€™s how Brad at Isla Instruments has explained it.

1 Like

Yeah, the KordBot wouldnā€™t work with the DT only using the USB connections, but it should work with the Modor NF-1m I think.

1 Like