Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

It does not send MIDI note data.

It does send MIDI sync, transport, and program change data, however.
See pg. 48 of the PDF manual.
Program change can be used to change patterns on other sequencers.

No need for the CV track.

EDIT: Since the late 2019 OS Update, the A4 does sequence MIDI!

3 Likes

Ah I see, thank you very much! I was even looking around in the manual near that page and missed it. Cheers!

3 Likes

Cheers! That is the most glowingly review Iā€™ve heard yet. Going to give it a deeper look for sure now.

Yes.

When I first saw the algorithm knob in action, my jaw dropped. Tats from Korg is a hero.

2 Likes

Analog Four
Novation Circuit (Circuit and Digitakt is a stupidly compatible and fun combo, and you get two fully editable nova poly synths and a sampler forā€¦not a lot $$$)

Both of these have sequencers and very similar pattern architecture, so they play super nice with the digitakt, you can control them independently or use the Digitakts midi tracks to control/sequence everything.

1 Like

Id definitely chose the A4 if I could only have 1. so versatile. 4 monos, or stick itā€™s sequencer on 1/4 speed for 32bar chord / drone progressions.
id defo go for a poly tho as the DT can do some half decent monosynth lines itself.

2 Likes

I love my DX7IID. Have loads of sounds I cycle through, and the keys feel fantastic. Great for playing.

2 Likes

Those are guitar pedals right? Do they run at instrument level or line level? Iā€™ve always had major problems using instrument level FX on line sources. Do you use direct boxes and stuff to make it work?

Ya thereā€™s very little options for fleshed out FM synths, but this thing looks super cool: http://ixox.fr/preenfm2/

Sounds different from the DX series too. More raw and nasty. I might snag one.

1 Like

The monologue is, in fact, dope. I need another subtractive synth like I need a sharp stick in the eye and yet I had to pick one up. It did not disappoint - for any synth nerd itā€™s basically a box of joy.

4 Likes

after much back and forth ))<>((
Iā€™ve decided to go try an OP1 in my local music shop.
I have a SH01a on order but if I really gel with the OP1 then I am going to buy itā€¦
so either a JX03+Sh01A or an OP1

Bought the Op1ā€¦ thing is awesome

11 Likes

Despite my love of analog, for portability, cost effectiveness and practicality I just bough a $300 Ultranova to pair with my digitakt. This thing is kind of like a cult classic underground sleeper hit of the synth world, and Iā€™m starting to see why. Itā€™s basically the poor mans Access Virus. I think itā€™s low resale value is due mainly to itā€™s hideous appearance.

How well would the Digitakt work with a Minilogue? Or is that not a good option to go for?

Why not a second hand access virus or Nord lead? A blofeld? A Novation nova desktop?

Only 1 synth?
Well then you want something that can do everything.
Virus TI

4 Likes

No not only one synth but was think it as my poly synth and then get a mono with it.

If you had to choose between Octatrack or Analog Four?

What would it be?..(with DT)

Whatā€™s your musical style? If itā€™s mostly sample based then go with the OT, youā€™ll have more tracks to work with plus kool fxā€™s and ā€œdj tricksā€. If you are into synth based music then Analog 4 is a great choice. The Analog 4 is great because you get 4 tracks of mono synth that you can use to produce lead, bass, pad, and drum sounds. The OT has a higher learning curve even for experienced Elektron users, the A4 youā€™ll be jamming right out the box. I say get both :loopy:

1 Like

Would you guys get a Poly synth if you didnā€™t know music theory, couldnā€™t play chords etc and you were mostly looking for bass and leads? Because this is the position Iā€™m in right now.

Iā€™m making sample based hip hop and experimental/dark/gritty/techno/breakbeat/tech house/noideawhatitscalled music. Struggling to decide between the Sub 37, Peak and A4 MK2. Whichever I go for is going to be my one and only synth for a long time.