Best solo Elektron machine for techno ambient deep bass

I’ve had the DT. And I’m thinking I may go back down that route, teaming it up with a DN or other sound sculptor.
Like I said in the primary post I’m weighing up the DT or the OT mkii or A4 mkii
I’ve come across so much hidden potential in DT if you dig in and pervert it

Yeah OB. Like a perpetual evolution of a thing, adding on etc…growing ?
Why not for OT?

Elektron confirmed that Overbrigde cannot be made compatible for OT. Think it was @Ess who confirmed it

2 Likes

I’ll check that out, thank you!

bass station 2 anyone? cheap, fantastic sound, great variety and a really cool new firmware.

2 Likes

Totally agree!
I have bought DT a month ago and then two weeks later the DT. Indeed, a killer combo imo. The ease of use is inspiring.

Yeah, the AR would seem a kinda obvious choice, or progression from DT(??). But having watched Jake do his thing on the Elektron site other than farting around like a handcuffed imbecile on the pads he seemed to spend more time on the A4

2 Likes

Another supporter of the Rytm.
I use the grey trinity but the Rytm does most of the legwork.

I’m almost thinking of downsizing to master just one box and this would be it.

3 Likes

Rytm is nice for techno and ambiant work. But A4 is also ace for techno and ambiant. Maybe A4 is my favorite Elektron to produce precise tech. 4 tracks, just what we need to be efficient.

4 Likes

^ @elenacortes a man after my own heart. 4 tracks is a great framework to push the limitations, and the A4/AK is supremely versatile for techno/ambient/acid/electro sounds I think.

5 Likes

A4 would be a good choice imho.

1 Like

I own neither OT or A4 (though i am a previous user/owner of DT…). As I’ve mentioned in a previous post I’m in the process of weighing up what Elektron machine to go for. And I’m curious about this new balls busting bass the A4 mkii has.
Can the OT mkii not crunch as hard?

A4 is an analog synth with resonant filters, distortion and very snappy envelopes, OT is a sampler with digital fx - kinda hard to compare them on this level, tough I really love the OT’s filter for its ‘crunchiness’.
I’d say you can make both crunch pretty hard.

Edit; Typo

3 Likes

They both do great bass. The question you should ask yourself is whether you prefer to work with synthesis or sampling.

2 Likes

And with the appropriate ampage they’ll both wobble your insides? Deep deep deep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah…, that’s what’s come to mind this evening, whether to sacrifice the sampling capability…which I do quite enjoy!

For what it’s worth, i find doing traditional chromatic basslines much less fun and straightforward on the OT than the A4. Perhaps if you want to work with preexisting stems of basslines or if you’re into a more esoteric workflow for atonal, experimental, sound-mangled bass the OT might be better. If you plan to just load up single cycle waveforms on the OT for bass all the time, you should just get the A4.

1 Like

Well, with the OT it kinda depends what your sound source is, but the comp on the OT has massive gain capabilities, you have nice sounding filters, and also parametric eq and you can use Neighbour Machines if you need more than two fx slots.
OT lfos don´t go nearly as fast as the A4´s lfo can go, and since the A4 can use audio rate lfos (linked to osc freq) to modulate oscillators or do filter fm it can easily go into nasty, crunchy territory.
Then there´s also AM and the feedback oscillator which can really do some very wild stuff, but especially the feedback osc can also be useful when dialed in subtly.

2 Likes

If you’re looking primarily for Bass I think the AR might be more up your alley

I like experimental, esoteric, sound mangling.