Best single companion to exploit Digitakt midi tracks?

It’s not multitimbral, but 4 voices and like 30+ modulatable parameters for osc, samples, granular engines, fx, so you can use one midi channel on multiple digitakt MIDI tracks to get around having only 8 x CC assignment knobs. Might be overkill, but as a single box addition to digitakt, can get you access to some really cool textures where you can use 1 or 2 tracks for voicing- so you don’t have to mock with note layering on single track and others for sample/granular CC messages, and then 1 or 2 per effect.

2 Likes

Prophet REV2 is an amazing bi-timbral synth. I pretty much always use multiple MIDI tracks for each layer. There is so much you can do with voice stealing and mutes.

1 Like

I think so ! 8 tracks for 4 voices…

5 more modulations possible from a DT track : With Lemondrop you can also use velocity, pitchbend, aftertouch (poly or mono for DT), modwheel and breath.

Having Lemondrop, you might be tempted to add another Nanobox above Digitack :

Fireball has a very similar structure, 8 voices.

Tangerine is multi timbral, 8 channels, 24 voices max iirc…
As a sampler it can extend drastically DT limitations, multi samples, stereo, very long samples, timestretched loops…

Razzmatazz for FM drum synthesis…

2 Likes

Roland JD-08. Bi-timbral.

2 Likes

I really like my DT + Nord Lead combo. The NL4 has two internal LFOs with only a few destinations. You can add a third freely assignable with the DT or more with more DT MIDI channels.

Nord Drum is also a very capable 6 ch multitimbral, but a bit special partner (no envelopes, only decay).

Of course with a blofeld you get a lot for low price.

And DT + DN is a well established partnership

1 Like

Other ideas:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=digitakt%20companion

5 Likes

Ah … I did try and search for that before posting, don’t know how I missed it, thanks.

1 Like

Kodamo EssenceFM.

I don’t think we should exploit single companions. Or use them, or take advantage of them. I think we should allow them free agency to consent to a relationship of mutual benefit.

6 Likes

Things that came immediately to my mind (some are expensive, but totally worth the price!):

• Modal 002 - 12 timbres, but can use 8 with 4 spare voices for poly duty (heck, I plan to pair my DT with Modal 001, for max two channel usage);
  • Roland JD-XA - this one will offer exactly 8 engines, split equally between four mono analog (or single poly) and four digital poly timbres, third analog filter is totally worth it though;
  • Waldorf XT(k) - It should be probably my first recommendation; :thinking:
  • Clavia Nords (3, G2, etc.) - I have 3 Rack and G2X, both are great in their own way, and both offer great interface;
  • Blofeld was mentioned, but I had problem with user interface, some love it thought;
  • Ambika (Xena?) - not much to add;
  • Parva - quite impressive specs, had one and sold it as I prefer broader interface (like, every oscillator having own section - I know it seems strange for a content Elektron user);

There are few more instruments circulating around my mind, but I think that mentioned few would be on my list to try, depending on additional circumstances (like budget, space and special sonic needs), but all are kind of supplementary for what I find in Digitakt, using more than one midi track.

1 Like

Settings > MIDI Config > Sync > Clock Receive :ballot_box_with_check:

2 Likes

SP-404 mk2. You can trigger the pads via MIDI. That means that you can play long samples and stereo samples that you can’t play from your Digitakt. Sample chopping is also more straightforward on the 404. You can also control the fx via MIDI. Each effect has a maximum of 6 parameters. That means you’ve still got 2 ccs left to choose the effect and to turn the effect on and off.

4 Likes

I’ve been waffling over a DT for over a couple of years now. If I get one, I’m set on getting a TR-6S to go with it. 6x additional channels of classic (and FM) drums with faders, and 2x channels left over for your synthesizer(s) of choice.

1 Like

Korg Radias is a good option to complement the Digitakt. 4 parts multitimbral, plenty of synthesis options, drum sounds, good MIDI implementation, fx…

1 Like

JD08 - reat value. Easy to programme, fairly versatile, workable effects., but as you say is only bi-timbral

1 Like

2 different sequences per part and you already use 4 MIDI Tracks. :wink:

1 Like

Multiple MIDI tracks dedicated to each externally controlled synth is the way.

1 Like

Came here to say this. SP404ii + DT combo solves a lot of headaches on both sides.

3 Likes

I’ve explored MIDI tracks lately.
Can’t comment on single companion, but the current flow looks like:

• 4 MIDI tracks to control 16-voices of Rev2 Module (never used live, only to sample into DT) - I like this better than drawing in DAW
  • 1 MIDI track for BS2 (also never used live, only to sample into DT) - same here
  • 1 MIDI track to trigger envelopes on Sherman FB2 (that was gamechanger for me, even began to use Sherman for live perfomances, it stopped being just a huge distortion box)
  • 1 MIDI track to control 1010 Lemondrop (new owner, exploring if it can be a live tool or to sample into DT)
  • 1 MIDI track for DT MIDI loopback or other external fx live control (depends on pattern and project)

That looks enormous on paper, but the same MIDI tracks are always reserved for equipment not to get lost in project and it doesn’t mean simultanious use of all the gear at once.

3 Likes

M8 Tracker.

• Several synth engines, good sample player with unlimited stereo sample length
  • 8 Stereo Tracks
  • Can be used as a sound module or sequence the Digitakt for a comprehensive song mode
  • Digitakt can be a midi controller for the M8 parameters
  • Insane portability of the M8 makes you want to take it anywhere and then at home you just connect the digitakt and have material from the road to start with - to me this is golden

CONS: If you really dislike the tracker workflow and the lower fidelity (although I think the M8 sounds quite good)

He is using the Octatrack, but check out the video of Wet Peynt with EZBOT The Dirtywave M8 Tracker and Octatrack Workflow with Wet Peynt (youtube.com)