Best sampler to pair up with the Syntakt - Digitakt or SP-404 MKII?

I had one and didn’t like it at all, so sold it with no regrets.

I don’t think I bought it for the right reasons… I wanted a stereo centrepiece sampler/workstation, which it wasn’t suitable for me (and my regular 8-32 bar polyphonic ways).

But, I think if I had one now, and placed it at the end of my chain, I’d like it and get more out of it… and I’d probably work backwards from that point to being able to use it standalone.

I also didn’t like the UI… if there was another one with same style display as the Digis and Analog mk2’s, I’d definitely get one.

2 Likes

it has 3 stereo outs, also usable as 6 monos, or a combination.

1 Like

In a sense this is true but in my experience it got messy soon with projects on multiple devices, pattern length matching, structuring issues etc. So I sequence(d) the Digitone from the Digitakt.

1 Like

I can see that becoming an annoyance for sure, but for me, the p-locks are what makes the Digitakt intesting, so I’d rather deal with some pattern length matching than to give up tracks on the Syntakt just to control the Digitakt remotely.

In any case, I need to expose myself more to the workflow to find out what really works for me. If it feels like shit, I’ll probably just sell the Digitakt again and reconsider my options. :slight_smile:

That’s quite generous. I guess that means I’d need a mixer instead, assuming that there’s no USB audio option for those analog outs?

Pretty sure I’d feel exactly the same. A big part of the appeal of the Digitakt for me is the familiar workflow. I’m so fast now on the Syntakt it’s crazy. Ideas just emerge within minutes sometimes.

1 Like

Digitakt is the best for creating music.
You don’t really need stereo samples.
You don’t really need long samples.

You are familiar with digi workflow, stick to it. ST and DT share same form factor, they looks great together.
Just buy small 30cm cables to wire them together without creating cable mess.

In the other hand, if you want to use the ST as music maker and add some spices on ST loops in live, look at octatrack.

2 Likes

Very helpful answer, and you’re right. Good tip on buying shorter cables too for less cable mess!

I own both (the DT and the 404MK2) and they each excellent music making devices in their own way.

DT is definitely better at mangling samples in a (for lack of a better term) “granular” manner. But damn, the SP404 effects and resampling/skip back workflow :ok_hand:t2:

For me, I tend to use the 404 more due to its light weight and battery power. Easy to grab and go, and get after it. I rarely use all 12 tracks on my Syntakt, so I can sequence the 404 if needed…although I generally just bash out samples on the fly.

4 Likes

Appreciate your perspective. I may have painted myself into a corner but I really appreciate Overbridge and feel like it would get messy to have 12 clean tracks from the Syntakt and then the sum of all samples used in a song in one single stereo track from the SP-404. As a standalone sample mangler for creating original samples, it looks totally dope, but for a proper live jam that you mix in the DAW, it seems like a clumsy compromise for my needs.

2 Likes

Just got the Digitakt. Wow, this feels so familiar! The screen is a lot more yellow than I remembered, but it fits with the yellow Func button. Time to explore. :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for your input!

7 Likes

I bought the digitakt last year and instanteously, elektron released the syntakt hahaha

My journey was the opposite to yours, but I’d like to recommend you the digi :slight_smile:

Not only has an excellent master compressor, but having the same workflow as your syntakt, will ease your way to compose by weeks if not months. Elektron clearly designed these with the idea of complementing each other :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT: I have just read you got the digi haha good choice!

2 Likes

Yeah, the Digitakt won the first battle at least, because I got it at an incredible price. I haven’t yet explored using it together with the Syntakt but will this week. :blush:

I’ll admit I’m still GASing for the 404 though. There’s just something about how it’s its own thing, like a deep sample sound designer tool and instrument with all those beautiful-sounding effects. But I know it’s just GAS so I’ll redirect that energy towards making a new song on the Digitakt instead. :muscle:

5 Likes

Congrats! I’ve just started playing them together this week myself, at last, and I can’t believe I didn’t pair them up sooner. Controlling the ST sound macros from the DT makes for a nice version of AR’s performance knobs, and it’s really nice to have room to layer tracks on both machines. I’ve been looking at AR videos for more ideas of what can be done, and there are loads of possibilities. As for the 404, the ST can do fx scenes, and the DT can (with midi channels setup) sample in from ST live in a pinch, so I don’t find I’m missing the 404 type sounds, personally.

3 Likes

In my workflow, the Syntakt and 404 work great. I love how I can get a pattern with a sample playing, and record to pad with just the input from the Syntakt. Then add the sample in whenever I start building up tracks. It almost like multitrack recording.

I’m reading up now on Input effects. And you can dedicate an effects bus to only input jacks only. I want to see how it sounds adding Juno chorus to swarm or even the harmonizer or even Vocoder effect to the Syntakt. Just as an experiment.

7 Likes

I guess that means you’d run midi from DT into ST (currenty I have it the other way around as I think of the ST as the master, but I guess either way works fine here). Worth checking out for sure! I need to learn how program changes work too and how they’re set up. Lots of learning ahead!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s how I’d approach samples on it too. Basically full phrases (sequenced from the Syntakt) but resample into one sample per 404 sound/pad/“track”.

A particular thing that is intriguing as an idea is to sample a full drum beat from the Syntakt into the 404 (which is why stereo becomes more relevant) and then crush it entirely with distortion, compression and other fun stuff, and then play that sample loop behind the Syntakt tracks for added grit and texture. Sort of like parallel processing if you will. I’m also imagining that the stereo sampling capabilities would be excellent for making organic background textures and things like risers, crashes/cymbals etc too. But I’ll start with the Digitakt and see how far I can push it because I’m still convinced that I’ll find its workflow more enjoyable. :pray:

Question: can the Syntakt trigger samples from the 404 just fine? I watched a video by BoBeats suggesting that midi wasn’t very enjoyable on the 404. Not sure what that was referring to. But in my case, I’d just use it to trigger one shots since I’d be doing all the intricate processing on the samples themselves (as opposed to the Digitakt where the magic happens with the conditional trigs, p-locks and LFOs).

1 Like

You load samples into a pattern and arm the pattern after setting the 404 to receive

Not sure I follow. Can I just send midi notes to the corresponding midi track for the pad bank on the 404 and it will play just fine? Or are you saying it needs to be programmed in the 404 itself using its own pattern sequencer?

I’ve been triggering and sequencing the SP404 from the Force easily. Each bank is a midi channel (so bank A is channel 1 etc) really easy.

I have a feeling using Midi OUT from the SP to other devices is more limited so may be the issue referred to in the video

1 Like