Best resource for updating A4's OS?

It looks like my A4 is OS version 1.06 (I see this as the intro screen boots up so I’m assuming that’s the OS version). Regardless, I want polyphony so I need to update to OS 1.1 at least. So question: Is there a web resource (URL) that tells me all I need to know (and hopefully more) to update my A4?

I only have a Linux OS for my home computer so that concerns me as Mac and Windows still dominate when it comes to audio.

edit: looks like the support page on the Elektron website is the best info…having only Linux is an issue though

The package on Elektron’s website with the OS update file includes release notes with instructions for how to update.

You will have to find a Linux application that can send a MIDI SysEx file from your computer to the Analog Four’s MIDI In or USB port.

I just went to the site and noticed the OS notes, not sure how I missed them last time.

I have a friend that may let me use his Mac OSX for this…not sure about apps that will send SysEx files on Linux, could end up being a huge headache. LOL Thanks for the reply!

It’s pretty easy to do with amidi.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/amidi

5 Likes

Nice! I will read the man page. I think it’s time to get one of those Elektron USB cables as I don’t think I have one handy around here. Thanks for the replies everyone! :+1:

Any USB cable will be fine.

Thanks! I found a USB cable that looks like it’ll work so going to try it. Having polyphony is just too nice to pass up by not updating…hopefully I can do it later today. :+1:

Wow, that was easy. Thanks for the amidi tip. :+1:

2 Likes

Wow, that was also a bit brave :thup:

Not sure i’d be pioneering whilst updating, but good to know

1 Like

If on Linux, just issue amidi command like so: amidi -p hw:2,0,0 -s Analog-Four_Analog-Keys_OS1.23B.syx
To find your where the A4 is on your hardware port issue: amidi -l

I feel like I have a new A4, not only do I have something for sequencing drums/synth lines I have a synth for pads if I need them, which I do. And new sounds to learn from too! This update is great, glad I did it Thanks for the help everyone and thanks :3lektron: for the update.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Polyphony questions

I’m having trouble with this, I can’t see the analog four anywhere. I’m running ubuntu 17.10 and I’m trying to upgrade from 1.23C. I tried amidi already, but I can’t locate it using the above suggestion either. Here’s my console output:

pete@Supuntu:~$ amidi -l
Dir Device Name

No devices listed… It’s definitely plugged in via USB and switched on

No wait, I found the USB settings, it was in overbridge mode

1 Like

I use SimpleSysexxer on Linux as it has a handy GUI, but there needs to be a connection from the Alsa MIDI system to the A4. The patchbay in something like QJackCtl (if you use Jack) or Carla (well worth installing for running Linux and windows VSTs) will do that.