Best resource for DN sound design tutorials?

I have a pretty good understanding of all the fundamental functions on the DIgitone, but I’d like to improve my sound design chops some more.

I know Dave Mech, Loopop and Cuckoo - what are some other good channels/resources for sound design tips and tutorials?

Oscillator Sink, Ivar Tryti (@eaves)

3 Likes

…i’m always working on my very own sounddesigns…it’s essential to me…
but the dn was the very first piece of gear, i started to enjoy scrolling through preset lists… :wink:

i’m not aware of any other brand, where picking and starting from presets can end up with all ur very own and individual sound results within a few twists anyways…

2 Likes

I’ve spent quite a few sessions with my DN following this video and had a great time(s).
As the title implies, it’s mostly about slow tempo, long evolving sounds and might be a bit long if you are not into this kind of things (I am) but I thought there was a lot to learn regardless

3 Likes

Funnily enough - this was exactly my MO last night.

Manipulating presets has the dual function of learning how certain params effect the sound, and also ending up in some vastly different places.

Sat and made about 10 of my own sounds which I saved to the Sound Manager last night alone. :muscle::sunglasses:

Each time I think I’ve heard all the sounds the Digitone is capable of, it throws me a curveball - the more I dig, the more I get the sense that I’ve barely scraped the surface.

I think I have many years ahead of fun and exploration on this thing!

2 Likes

No - I love drones and pads! Thanks!

I’ll check it out tonight.

1 Like

My goal this year has been to really dig into the sound design of my A4 and DN. Sadly, there really aren’t that many youtube videos out there that really talk about it. Def check out @Eaves as has already been mentioned here. Also @ylva has some videos on there that you can also gleen some stuff off of. I’ve learned some basic stuff from Miles Kvndra videos but mainly how to “warm up” your DN and organizational stuff. But man, any video with @Ess, just watch that. All of them are great. He also has some albums for sale that come with the sysex files so you can reverse engineer the sounds.

1 Like

…this is the way… :vulcan_salute:
and that swedish spirit…

I’ve been getting back into using the DN for drums. It can really make some amazing percussive sounds. And I had been running a pretty old firmware, but finally upgraded to the latest and one feature I hadn’t tried yet was the master overdrive – so great for drums!

I know Oscillator Sink has been mentioned here, but this video on drum synthesis is awesome:

A lot of these might be standard drum design techniques, but some of them are very Digitone-specific, like for example using a one-shot LFO to crossfade between the A/B mix for different phases of the drum hit – some genius stuff in there and it can be applied to other sound design, not only drums.

I agree that on the Digitone it can be very educational to deconstruct other people’s patches. And you can easily end up with something totally custom from a preset as a starting point… I was doing that with drums, but lately I’m starting all my drums from scratch because it’s so much fun

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never really thought of sound design of drums as ‘fun’ - rather as time consuming, laborious and unrewarding.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe I’ll check out that Oscillator Sink video, as even if I don’t end up designing every damn drum sound, I’m sure I’ll pick up some cool tips that can be applied to all sound design on the DNK.

1 Like

@Eaves is the answer.

I bought a Digitone, Analog Heat and Analog 4 due to his videos.

Also check out Red Means Recording’s Soft Music to do Nothing to album. If you buy it, it comes with the Digitone sounds and patterns to learn from.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think the drum design tips can really be applied to other sounds. It opened up some ideas that i use in sound design in general in the Digitone – and to some extent on other Elektrons