Best recording option?

Hi!

I have my MD and MM synced with my OT as master. MD and MM is going in A-D inputs on OT and it sounds so good in my headphones when Im jaming. Then when hook it up from my OT Outputs into the Steinberg soundcard and computer it sounds really bad and totally different with the volumes, easy clipping etc… When I record and play it back it sounds even more worse!

How you making it sound good when you recording straight from the machines without Overbridge?
Why is the sounds changing so much in terms of volume levels etc when you recording?

Cheers :slight_smile:

I hear you on this. For my faults, I love mixing very loud on headphones, but when it comes to listening back at lower volumes on other systems it sounds weak. I think it has to do with natural compression occurring by pushing boxes past their headroom. Also I noticed when recording some old OT tracks to a computer via a Focusrite sound card, the volumes were so high that I had to turn the input gains on the sound card to 0 just so it wouldn’t clip. So try engaging the 8th OT track as a master (even temporarily) and if you hear a massive drop in volume, that’s because the individual tracks are way too loud. Experiment with turning the track levels down and trying to create the same energy just by mixing and EQing etc.

1 Like

Are you listening through you interface when you are jamming?
Try doing that, and learn how to adjust the input gain on the interface.
It probably sounds like a hassle, but you gotta learn how that interface reacts to the incoming audio.
Also like the last post said, gain stage your tracks in the OT.

7 Likes

You need to do more work in advance to record that way and have it sound any good, because you are cutting out the stage of mixing individual tracks entirely.

So getting all your levels right, getting your sounds bang on and not clashing in the frequency spectrum etc.

There is no shortcut. You either do the work before you record or you do it after.

5 Likes

And once again, you can record things with OT.
Up to 8m28s with free RAM.
That’s the best recording option in that concern.
Of course if you add bad gain staging, another DAAD conversion, don’t be surprised if the quality is lower.

2 Likes

Still banging the ‘OT is best’ drum, I see. Love it! I can get my French-speaking girlfriend to find a French equivalent of that phrase if it makes no sense to you. But, anyway, I’m going to start doing this internal OT recording to see what happens for sure :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: I’m curious, however, if you’re already abusing the RAM with lots of flex tracks. Then what happens? :thinking:

With a new project, just 1 page to set and OT is ready to record AB/CD for 8m28s.
Memory > Dynamic recorders = Yes, Reserve Recordings = None.

Track + corresponding REC to start recording.
Stop.

Edit : @craig, recording time decrease with samples loaded in RAM, and also with Reserve Length multiplied by the number of tracks involved. :content:

1 Like

In French :
L’Octatrack est-il le meilleur lecteur d’echantillons sonores pour reproduire des sons percussifs ?

I prefer English for that stuff! :smile:
Keep OT, buy an AR MKI, sell / buy what you want after…:wink:

1 Like

I handed my phone over to her to read your French. She jokingly said it was a bit ‘wanky’ but yes you’re right! Hahaha

1 Like

Does she have a less wanky traduction? :content:
Imho you can find worse in many manuals, that’s why I read English ones only since a few years. Anyway parameters are in English, I’d be glad to see a musical product with a language choice nowadays.
Off topic anyway. Just record something with OT please. :content:

1 Like

You simply do not need overbridge to get good recordings out of any elektron boxes.
Just set your levels properly before you hit record so you dont clip.

That said, any recording option is valid so long as it is being used correctly.

As already stated, either mix before you record, or mix after, depending on how you work.

There is no magic wand.

Thank you alot for very nice answers you all!

And yes you are all right because the Hi Hats in the MD sounds really good in the mix with the correct freq-level when I record but for example Bass sample in OT sounds terrible together with my kick drum its like eliminate eachother lol.

How do you mix with the sound leveles in OT? Yes volume control in AMP page but what more? Do you set a Equalizer and a Compressor to each track or what?
Im setting track 8 as a master and turn the levels down on every track to find balance in every volume settings.

I believe the source of your problem is less recording Elektron boxes than recording and mixing properly.

When I figured my own ignorance on this subject, a book changed my own perception.

Check these threads:

2 Likes