Best plugin distortion/saturation

LOVE MAUL

2 Likes

Softube SSL 4000E drive and character knobs work wonders on a channel too. It can get really aggressive and you can also make faster attack transients for more agression. Good for drum bus, bass guitar, and guitar

SSL 9000K emulation has the VHD émulation which adds character but more in a hi fi sounding. Good for basses, keys, and synth leads.

1 Like

I’m watching videos now. This looks really interesting and might hold me until Soundtoys go on sale! Hopefully the sale is still going on when I get home tonight.

Exactly! I did this also. Bought three plugins during their respective sales ($29 each), got Panman for free with one of them and then upgraded to Soundtoys 5 during the last Black Friday sale for $89! So total spend was $176 for the bundle…mad value!!!

1 Like

Also, if you are on the UAD platform, the Studer and Ampex plugins are great tape plugs! Then the CultureVulture and the Distressor are also very nice to dirt things up.

Softube’s Tape is also very good.

1 Like

I’m on UAD for my Arrow. I love it, but my processing power is pretty much tapped out. That’s cool though because I have the essentials for what I need for recording, which is what I wanted out of the Arrow, and it means I can’t have much GAS for UAD plugins. Lol. I thought about getting one of their Satellites, but I’m going to wait until they come out with a Thunderbolt 3 version. I don’t need it now anyway so that’s something for another day.

2 Likes

Back to the OP… I was amazed after listening to this vid. Came across it for the exact same reasons as you. I was looking for something to warm up and meld together my final track. I was heavily looking at the AH, lusting after a Culture Vulture, but figured the Decapitator will do just fine. I’ve never tried it on single audio files only the final stereo track. It sounds sooooo nice and exactly what I wanted.

I also have used Satin when I multitrack. Very good for giving some juicy tape squash.

2 Likes

I played around with RC-20 last night. I have not tried it on a full mix yet, but I got some really nice (and often unexpected, in a good way) results using it on U-he’s Diva. I’m going to enjoy experimenting with it (particularly the more subtle settings), but unfortunately it’s not quite scratching the original itch.

It’s strange. I find that for most of the parameters, it’s capable of getting way more extreme than what I’d want, so I’m dialing in quite modest amounts, but for drive I’m actually finding myself wanting a bit more. I’m still quite happy to have it in the toolbox though, especially for 50% off!

I’m thinking that Saturn or Decapitator might be closer to what I have in mind. I need to grab the demo versions and give them a spin.

Well that Culture Vulture sure did piss all over the competition there.

2 Likes

Turns out I’m ordering one. Whoops!

3 Likes

RX950 - Emulates the AD/DA converters in the Akai S950. Not really a distortion or saturation but adds some well nice crunch when pushed… add 2 if you need more dirt. I use it on everything.

The RC-20 Retro Color, put that on everything as well. But you can get into a ‘tweak-hole’ because there are so many parameters to mess with… its ace though.

1 Like

That looks really interesting!

+1 for Fabfilter, finds its way onto a ton of my stuff. Chipcrusher as well, oddly very “musical” distortion

3 Likes

I would love to be you right now!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

I’d happily run some of your tracks Through my Decapitator if you wanted a preview at any time. PM me :blush:

1 Like

I also bought the Trash 2 when it was on sale. Never put a stereo track through it though. I always seen it as a channel strip and for that it is worth every penny.

I picked up the Decapitator from plugin boutique. Never though it would dip lower than $100 so I bit the bullet. I am also in love with the developers history.

2 Likes

I’m a firm believer of Elysia’s Karacter since a few weeks. M/S saturation/distortion is soooo lovely. That thing just sounds incredible. Used it on some acid leads to test it and how it distorts the filter resonance is just wow.
Other ones I like are Klanghelm’s SSDR 2 and Brainworx Saturator v2.

2 Likes

This is super nice. I usually dislike bit crushing, but I like this a lot. It’s probably because it’s such a familiar sound coming up on an MPC and listening to a lot of hip hop from the 90s. Simple but effective.

Ordered the 20th Anniversary one. Couldn’t resist. Mega splurge. Feel the need to sell some stuff now!

1 Like

i have these and i’ve grown less fond of RX950 in favor of what comes out of D16’s Decimort (which i now want to use all over the place)

2 Likes