Best of tiny synths / sound sources

I second the Töörö mention. It’s my vote for best synth under $600. It sounds fantastic with a lot of character. Also good for mono duties. I use the free software editor to circumvent the lack of knobby interface.

1 Like

Hmm… Critter & Guitari synths?
The Pocket PIano or Midi Pocket Piano is kind of limtier but charming, as is the Bolsa Bass, if you can find one.
The newer 201 is way more flexible.
The Septavox is less… tiny.
The Organelle is less straightforward.

1 Like

Dirtywave M8 guys, let’s face it.

6 Likes

For the price and sound it’s easily Roland S1

3 Likes

There’s no shortage of small synths we can mention, but one has to take into account what sounds good when processed live with the Lemondrop, and I have no clue about that. Perhaps OP can elaborate on what sounds good, made with something of any size or complexity? The mention of “tiny guitar/piano synth” made me think of the 1010 Tangerine. Of course, it’s not a synth, but as far as I can tell, tiny synths don’t do a very good job of sounding like guitar or piano, anyway.

3 Likes

This is at the end of the chain :slight_smile: the Lemondrop going straight into it with (hopefully) the NTS going through the lemon.

Chimera BC16 is killer!

Behringer Pro VS Mini and JT-4000 Micro both sound great, as does the Roland T-8.

G

I’m old enough to hold a grudge against Behringer for 25 years.

Does that mean your grudge has gone then? They’ve been around since the late 1980’s.

G

I can suggest either a mutable instruments shruthi (normal or XT version) or a liven 8 bit. Both are little synths with a lot of character

really quite small

https://www.ploytec.com/pl2/

(a Shruthi is a good call, it’s brilliant and the only synth I sort of regret selling)

1 Like

I had the Tooro and loved it…great presets, nice small UI…wish I had kept it.

My current mini, battery-operated setup is the OP-1F, Modal Skulpt SE, Volca FM2, and an iPad Mini. Also a Zoom multistomp for guitar input! The Skulpt is really a surprise to me, seems underappreciated.

Dreadbox Typhon? Small, USB power, audio over USB, works as an FX box, real analogue.

I got a Behringer Pro VS Mini some time ago. A few weeks ago I was going to unbox it but then I started to think if I can see myself using a tiny synth… Because in the mid to long term, the way I am going is actually the opposite. I want to buy more desktop modules, larger synths etc., and drawn to them naturally. I also have this whole new semi-modular passion thanks t Softpop 2… such a dilemma.