Best midi Multi timbral iPad synth apps to use with DigiTakt?

Not strictly Digitakt I guess, but still quite relevant.

Ok so I have a fairly powerful iPad and have played around with many apps in the past. Im wondering what is the most, stable, and deep iPad synth out there capable of at least 4 way multi timbraility (Ideally 8+ for full use with Digitakt) ? Dont really care about drums as I think Digitakt can handle that without any issues :slight_smile:

I can think of so far:

Gadget
Caustic
Sampletank.

Any other ideas?

1 Like

LayR is multitimbral and seems quite deep.

Keep in mind that any AU synth will allow you to run as many instances as your iPad can take (provided you have a AU host app). Mood and Laplace are the first ones that come to mind.

2 Likes

do you know if Mood recieves Program Change messages?

I havenā€™t tried it myself but so sayeth the manual:

You can load Presets (current selected bank) by remotely sending a MIDI
Program Change message. The channel listening is the same for the MIDI
Note On/Off, You can configure this setting through ā€˜Channelā€™ in the MIDI
Manager (see later for further details). The available range is 0 Ć· 127. A
value of zero will select the first preset in the list, a value of 1 for the
second etcā€¦ But no bank selection is supported yet.

2 Likes

ok so I guess you can only load presets 1-128 for now.
thank you!

Hi there, Iā€™m wondering if anyone out there knows of an iOS app (with synths, chromatic sample playing, effects & must be polyphonic) that will make a good companion for the Digitakt? Basically Iā€™d like the app to be able to receive the 8 MIDI channels that the Digitakt can send. Currently I just have an iPhone, but I might consider getting a iPad for this purpose. It seems many iOS apps can only make use of one MIDI channel at a timeā€¦ I understand that it is possible to run a whole bunch of apps together through Audiobus etc, but Iā€™d much rather have one kickass app that can do this.
I guess another option might be something like a Microsoft Surface (or similar small windows tablet) running Ableton.

Gadget?

Edit: or host a bunch of apps in AUM/Audiobus etc.

2 Likes

Cubasis2 is a good iPad ā€œDAWā€, can handle midi and has pretty decent built in sounds. Also has support for inter-app so you can route midi to Animoog, item, Model15 and others.

Gadget does look cool, but kinda limited maybe in the effects department. Iā€™ll have to look at some more vids.

Yeah, this does look more the kind of thing that will do the trickā€¦ Iā€™ll do some looking into this one. It seems itā€™s not universal so I canā€™t bung it on my iPhone, but it might be the app I use if I get an iPad. Thanks.

Model 15 and Animoog.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a DAW like Cubasis or Gadget, but hooking the Digitakt up to the Korg iM1 app would be a lot of fun, a separate voice on each of 8 MIDI tracks. Add that to the internal Digitakt tracks and you could create an album!

1 Like

Model 15 sound pretty nice for an iPad app.

1 Like

Mentioned before

Load up aum or audiobus 3
I find aum / little easier.
Each channel can have eq , fx , thereā€™s bus : master in mixer layout , good for eq each sound separately.

I like
Sunrizer
Fm4
Au range of fx
All bam brothers stuff
And the others mentioned.

1 Like

today I bought Viking, a monophonic AU synth that I had on my list for a long time. barely had time to play with it, but from the demos it seemed like it sounded pretty well, and has a simple interface - also, itā€™s pretty cheap (5.99 usd)
Model 15 probably has the best bass Iā€™ve heard on iPad, but is quite CPU intensive.
the new Mood synth seems pretty interesting too - itā€™s modeled after analog synths, but what intrigues me is the ability to add a sample-based oscilatorā€¦ itā€™s currently 11.99 usd, Iā€™ll probably wait for a sale since I have quite a few apps I have yet to dive intoā€¦

Gagdet is universal, but quite fiddly on iPhone. Will make a great portable micro studio set up with the DT though.

I feel Gadget is amazing to sketch ideas, but itā€™s synths, are pretty toy-ishā€¦ you have to dig a lot to get a decent sound, and even then they lack depth - I would rather get individual synths if itā€™s just for sequencingā€¦ Magellan is bi-timbral, has plenty of options and way more depth (3 osc, multiple effects with routing options - and better quality than Gadget - , 3 destinations per lfo - I think itā€™s has two per synth ) and itā€™s only 4.99 USD or something

Nanostudio and caustic.
Just because you can have different synth, a mixer and 16 midi channel.

Hi, u can consider BeatMaker3 app ( new, still Beta but Dope ). Kind of iMaschine/Ableton sample based, 16 or 64 pads/sampler/plugin per track, interapp/au host, Midi settings, Macros, layers with note mapping, slicing, 8 instrument/drumkit track, 8 returns.
Timeline and Scenes arranger with infinite audio tracks to record or drop samples ( + for the Daw aspect than the setup threaded here ).
Iā€™m still waiting for my Digitakt, i bought this app first just to be able to handle stereo samples, slice them and play them via DT. Now i see many more possibilities, and also also asking here btw if the Overbrige could one day be iOS, and if digitakt could be an an iOS ready audio interface.

Cheers

1 Like

I currently use Zeeon wich is very powerfull and as an AU works well multitimbraly (i.e. several zeeon instances) in host like AUM.

1 Like