Best MIDI CCs to assign for parameters locks?

I’m trying to decide how to best use the 10 assignable Ctrl1/Ctrl2 MIDI CCs on the Octatrack and wondering which are best suited to parameters to assign to MIDI triggers (and which ones just work best as setting on the synth for the sound in general). I’ve only probably got around 3 or 4 left to decide on.

I know there’s a lot of trial and error and no right way, but I’m getting back into making music for the first time in a while and want to get as much of the tech setup out of the way now so I can start making tracks without thinking too much about the limitless possibilities!

So far my definites are:
Modulation
Volume (or Expression maybe?)
Cutoff
Resonance
Portamento time
VCF attack
LFO speed

Any others that are particularly fun/interesting to assign as parameter locks?

1 Like

For synths my favorite are
Cutoff
Resonance
Env Filter depth
VCF Decay
Pitch Coarse
Modulation CC1
VOL

You didn’t mentioned Env Filter depth and VCF Decay, which seem very important to me.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll def add that. Might also add VCA decay for an alternative to altering note lengths.

1 Like

The acid essentials. :wink:

4 Likes

Haha, yes indeed. A glaring omission :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also connecting a Volca FM so wondering if there are any FM specific ones that might be interesting to use. It’s my first FM synth so it’s all a bit mysterious at the moment.

I was just mapping my OT CCs to the Volca FM. It can’t receive that many CCs - see below - so it’s not too hard to choose. I discounted the Volca ARP and replicated the 6x knobs (modulator, carrier, LFO controls) on the second CC page, and put algorithm, velocity, transpose on the first,
[EDIT] algorithm has 32 values on the Volca and maps to 0-127 on the OT meaning you need to change the OT encoder by 4 steps to change algorithm by 1.

Remember to set global parameter MIDI RX ShortMessage to ON via startup menu.
[EDIT] that’s a default setting so probably no need to set

Pitch bend is also recognised by the Volca.

1 Like

Don’t forget you can use another midi track if you want to control more CCs…

3 Likes

Plus, if you install the unofficial firmware, you get velocity response without the special MIDI cable and more cc’s:
(Volca FM firmware 1.09 unofficial – ranzee)

New MIDI CCs:

• CC 1 : (Mod wheel) assignable via CC 91, defaults to Pitch Mod Depth
  • CC 85: Chorus on/off. value < 64 off, value >= 64 on.
  • CC 86: Chorus stereo width, 64 is default
  • CC 87: Chorus speed, 64 is default
  • CC 88: Load patch, value 0-4: patch 1, 5-8: patch 2 etc up to 127
  • CC 89: Load pattern, value 0-8: pattern 1, 9-16: pattern 2 etc up to 127
  • CC 90: Tempo divisor, value 0-31: 1/1, 32-63: 1/2, 64-95: 1/4, 96-127: 1/8 (!)
  • CC 91: Mod wheel mapping: decides what MIDI CC mod wheel should map to. Example: value 42 sent on CC 91 -> Mod wheel now controls Modulator Attack