Best Groovebox: Syntakt vs Digitakt

Thanks all for sharing your thoughs and experiences, so far. Probably the best thing will be just to save money, get A4, have a go and see how and where it fits to my set up, expectations etc.
Then probably I will say: I like all of them…well…keep them all​:joy::joy:

1 Like

Get an AK47 first, then you’ll get any gear in music shops. :tongue:
(AK = Analog Keys, A4 = Analog Four)

3 Likes

Typo… :joy::joy:

1 Like

Make that 4 months

Which means you’re almost tired of it ?

the elektronauts forum is the best groovebox, bar none. now, if they only made a piece of dedicated hardware for it. i’m tired of touch screens, mouse controller, etc.

8 Likes

Agreed. The people here are some of the best analog around.

1 Like

:thinking: You want to touch Elektronauts? :rofl:

1 Like

After taking my ST on a 3 week trip with me, it’s really an amazing box! As much as I love the DT, the more tracks I write on the ST, I’m finding it to be an equal (but different). They are both excellent :slight_smile:

Also highly recommend taking an Elektron box on a trip. It’s a great way to learn it in depth.

3 Likes

Can the analog machines get into that MFB Tanzbar, Tanzmaus, Acidlab Drumatix, 01/IV world with those woody, hollow, weighty, deep kicks? I know there’s differences in those examples but there’s something about that sound, if that makes sense.

Audio examples would definitely make more sense to me ! :content:

Syntakt analog drums machines sound palette is wide, you can start from dedicated drum machines, or Dual Vco, single osc, dual, fm, ring, overdrive, filter + envelope, amp envelope, 2 lfos usable as exp envelope…+ Analog FX Track…

1 Like

:slight_smile: Ok I might be talking shit but bear with me…

The kick on here sounds well good, also the snappiness on the snare. I bought this pack and it’s great btw

Even thou the BAM is on this you can hear that tight woody deep sound.

Totally get that these drum machines/synths are designed for their character (especially with the Acidlab) but there tends to be a certain connection with how they sound collectively.

1 Like

Snappy indeed. Compressed ?@AdamJay may shime in, as he did the pack, and have (had?) Syntakt…

I think it is ok to reproduce the kick with ST, for the snare you’d need some work to get that snappiness…

1 Like

Digitakt - Running drum samples through an ADSR amp and filter.

Syntakt - Running drum synth presets (machines) through an ADSR amp and filter.

Digitone - Running any sound that can possibly be conceived by FM through an ADSR amp and filter.

In my opinion the Digitakt and Syntakt feel a bit redundant, since you’re taking two different roads to get to the same place. Meanwhile the Digitone is basically just a Syntakt that hasn’t been totally nerfed by limiting “machines” and a lack of polyphony. I guess the analog mono synth is nice, but I already own one of those.

Therefore, through a very scientific process, I’ve concluded that the Digitakt and Digitone is the all time GOATED Elektron combo…

4 Likes

I mostly agree. However, it’s important to safely dispose of your electronic waste. PM me if you need an address you can send your Syntakt or similarly worthless Elektron devices such as the Octatrack mk2 in black. It’s important to protect our rivers.

22 Likes

Did you mean to respond to me?

Digitone

1 Like

forests and trees brother, only you can prevent a forest fire

started by improper disposal of electronic waste

1 Like

I realize that last paragraph was probably written as a joke/parody, but I think calling the Syntakt a nerfed Digitone is a bit harsh.

There’s a lot of value in immediacy, and while I agree that Elektron maybe went a little hard in that direction, I honestly think this box could be one the coolest things they’ve done after a few updates. If they ever add significantly more parameters to the existing machines I’ll be one of the first to buy it (again).

4 Likes

Since last DT update I bought a DT again and I may have changed my mind, if I had to choose only one.

I have both so…
Thinking about rotating pairs :
DT + ST, MD + DT, OT + ST…

4 Likes