Best Groovebox: Syntakt vs Digitakt

Jokes aside I actually noticed that the ST runs a little warmer then the other boxes … so much so that in warm days I don’t leave it on for too long.
Is it just mine or others noticed this ?

It’s the analog circuitry.

It’s built to withstand the heat. I wouldn’t work with it directly in the sun but other than that, it should be fine.

Is the Digitakt really a sampler though? I would say that it too toes on the edge of sample player.

However, if the Bible and/or the Supreme Court push anything, that thing is definitely not to be trusted.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Raskal.X!

Yeah, the Digitakt is a sampler. You can sample into it, chop samples, edit samples, sequence samples, etc. It’s a proper sampler.

3 Likes

…funny…how u complain about the sterile digital sound…of a sampler device… :wink:

just as a little reminder…a sampler always sounds like what u feed it with…in first and last place…

so now, that u got ALL the saturation/compression gear u need, have a look around u, give it some second thoughts to finally figure out, what sounds u might really like to sample…

electronic music that only lives from synthesis is as boring as electronic music that only lives from sampling…

while, wait a second…i’m wrong…some sampling only music can be indeed mindblowing…
aaaand there is no such thing like THE best groovebox…
always depends on ur perspective and ur level of skills meet talent…

1 Like

Oh man. When Syntakt first came out I thought “cool! But not for me” because of my super sample based workflow. But then I bought an Octatrack and now I’m really considering selling my DT to fund the ST. The 12 tracks and synth tracks really Make me feel like it’s more of a “full track” groove box to me. DT+OT is jazz but ST+OT makes me think I can get further without having to bring in other gear.

2 Likes

Even though I really like it, I wonder if/when this will happen to me too. I got bored of the M:C eventually. ST is deeper, but is it that deep? Time will tell I guess.

It’s really interesting. The hype was huge in a way I’m not sure I’ve seen for a new hardware device, and then - outside of this place, I’ve seen almost no discussion about it, and what I have seen outside here has been primarily lukewarm. Were expectations just too high? Did Elektron under-deliver? Or is it just that we’re all still new to it? It really feels like we’re just now starting to hear people really get to grips with the ST.

1 Like

I think that’s accurate, and while I’m listening knowing that I have a spell working with the M:C in my immediate future, I’m also listening for people who are going beyond sounds I know from that and from what I’ve heard from AR (which I don’t own). I wouldn’t say it’s deep, but a guitar isn’t deep, and yet people can do amazing things with one. I’m not holding my breath on new machines – there were some for AR, but none for M:C, and I think that if there are any, they’ll trickle out over years rather than months. The things that give me the most hope are the ability to use mod wheel, etc. as macros, and the clearly unfinished state of modifiers. There’s a lot of potential lurking there.

3 Likes

Which would you rather? Syntakt or Maschine Mk3/+ with Analog Heat Mk2?
I figure this thread would be an alright place to pose the question? Or should I start a new thread?

The mod wheel thing is a winner. I can’t stress enough how much fun it is to get a small knobby controller so you can make macro controls. My little Korg nanoKontrol studio has 8 knobs so I can assign them to mod wheel on 8 digital tracks and then I have one dedicated macro control for every track with 4 destinations each. It opens up a lot of control.

On the point of new machines - it’s early days but I suspect that Elektron know how much extra value new machines would add to the users. If they have a framework in place for development (and SDK or whatever) then it may not be a huge amount of extra work to add some new synth models, but it’ll just take time and be part of a list of other priorities they have.

One thing that occurs to me is that most (if not all) of the digital machines have TUNE, PNCH, DEC and OVER so there are only 4 different params in most cases. Given that there are second pages of params in other places like filter etc, perhaps they could “unlock” other parameters that are currently under the hood.

In terms of the reception to the Syntakt, although e.g. the Digitakt is considering by some to be a “modern classic” I’m not sure everyone felt that way when it was released. It takes time for gear to settle with the users and some of the new features more recently have really made a difference. Hopefully we’ll see some of that love given to the Syntakt. I can’t see why not - there are still firmware updates coming out for AR and A4 etc, they aren’t one of the (unfortunately many) release-and-forget music gear companies.

5 Likes

Soundwise the Digitakt can run circles around the Syntakt as there is no limit to the different sounds it can create. But the Syntakt might be more fun for some people. Restrictions spark creativity…
I like both boxes but if i had to choose one it would definitely be the Digitakt.

1 Like

Sorry for the off-topic, but how are you connecting this to the Syntakt?

Ah. The Digitakt can create sounds ?
Using samples isn’t creating sound imho. :wink:
Sampling input without anything plugged eventually, to start from noise…

I like to manipulate samples, but I prefer Syntakt synthesis machines to create sounds.

Well when you mangle a sample up and it totally becomes something else then what it was, that’s creating a sound, is it not? :stuck_out_tongue: Just not creating a sound in a synthesis way.

Not for me, I’d rather say modifying a sound, but it is just my point of view.
I always prefered to use my own records as samples btw…

On the other way, in Syntakt, you can say that starting from oscillators in the box, modifying your sounds with Elektron macros isn’t creation too !

Ok. Let’s sample Syntakt sounds to create sounds ! :content:

1 Like

I think you know what i meant. :wink:
Samples are more varied than the sounds coming out of a synth.

4 Likes

Yes ! But it’s not the same feeling for me, as there is an import / record process.
Even if you can use a part of a sample to make it an oscillator, and obtain equivalent sounds, I feel more pleasure to use a dedicated synthesis machine.
Psychological ! Hard to explain.
Something like a sampler is more a machine, a synth is more an instrument…
If you get the idea…

3 Likes

Of course i get it. It feels different. That’s why i have both devices. I like both methods.

3 Likes