Best groovebox ever made?

My brain tells me MPC
My heart tells me Analog Four

7 Likes

Also, I just got the Analog Four so it’s too soon for me to tell how I’d rank that one. And it looks like I might switch off the car for commuting and do the bus or the train. In that case I’ll be trying the M8 which I expect to be brilliant.

1 Like

Yeah M8 for me, so easy to compose full tracks from scratch and be done. Other boxes are great for fun messing with loops, but when it comes to actually writing a song M8 is my go to.

11 Likes

There are a ton of really phenomenal groove boxes available these days. I own a bunch of them and I don’t want to take anything away from any of them. The groove box you have or gel with or whatever is, by definition, the best groove box.

But my first love is and will always be the EMX-1. A ridiculously clear menuing system, huge number of drum tracks, really aggressive VA, and I don’t know it’s the drive through the tubes or what but the output just shakes the fillings right out of your teeth. And it’s beautiful just to look at. It was my first groovebox and really my first hardware synth so I’m biased, but I love that thing.

14 Likes

Maybe a bit more robust than a conventional groove box but it fits on my lap ; ) but, ima say Emu Command Station is a real solid contender.

4 Likes

MC-707

it’s got limited sample time, but that’s why i have an octatrack.

The only other down-side is a lack of VST controller beyond Zencore, which is shit.

Otherwise, this is like Roland’s greatest hits, in a box.

5 Likes

I would say for me, either the Dave Smith Instruments Tempest, or the OP-1.

Not the most fully featured, but fun as hell and both served me incredibly well for an extremely long time.

But if you want to be objective about it, probably MPC One/Live/X.

5 Likes

The easiest and most productive groovebox is probably the Korg EMX-1. It’s limited but focused yet it’s still possible to produce complete tracks despite its limitations, and it has an interesting synth engine.

I think each groovebox is special, it’s pointless to try to name “the best”. The RS7000 has MIDI effects, the MC909 has a lot of controls on its panel, The MPC Live and Force have a lot of tracks, polyphony and plugins, the Deluge has an open source OS, the Toraiz SP16 has analogue filters and probably the best sounding realtime timestretch function of all grooveboxes, save from the Push 3, the Analog Rytm has scenes and macros, … some grooveboxes are better for jamming while others are better at making full songs…

but I think a groovebox should be fun to use, easy to work with, and provide a lot of controls on its UI to minimize menu diving.

10 Likes

The best groovebox is the one you make the most music on. For me, it’s the OP-Z.
Tiny yet equipped with a ridiculously powerful sequencer. And the distortion is extremely good.

11 Likes

Digitone, hands down :vulcan_salute:

10 Likes

maschine

4 Likes

I had most of what the market provides, M8 is the only device still in my possession.
For me it is by far the best groove box that does not need any extra devices attached. As long as you don’t count the Push3 as one, because that one would beat the M8!

7 Likes

MD or M8?
I have hard time to choose.

5 Likes

Akai MPC One

2 Likes

This pure analog signalpath desiged groovebox with selected wooden sides (all sides!). The groovier the player is the better its responds:

16 Likes

I’m actually gonna have to go with the Maschine+ if we’re talking standalone.

This is a comparison between the features and its ease of use.

The features is that it has no sonic limitations- a vast variety of synthesis methods, sampling and manipulation. Lock states. And the composer on it is absolutely excellent.

Its fun and intuitive to use if you need one thing that does everything.

8 Likes

The Roland MC909 for me, closely followed by the Yamaha RS7000.

Of the boxes that have followed since, Akai MPC Live is the best imo, although it’s a lot more powerful than what many may think of as a Groovebox.

Hopefully, Roland can eventually take the best parts of devices such as the MC707 and the SH-4d (I know it’s not a Groovebox but it’s a great device) and create something - with at least 16 tracks - that truly rivals and surpasses their own MC909.

G

4 Likes

I have had quite few (mostly Akais and Elektrons) but kept only two.

Machine+
Deluge

4 Likes

Im voting on par ot, dn

It’s a difficult question to answer because so much of what you define as “best” depends on what you value and prioritize, what your goals are and perhaps most important, what kind of music you want to make.

If you like tencho and related genres, and you value the ability to jam on it live while still having the flexibility to record that jam into separate track stems for final production in the daw, a Syntakt is hard to beat. It’s all synthesis (no samples) but it can sound pretty wild and diverse. Not saxophone-and-piano diverse but rather lush-to-harsh diverse as far as synthesis goes: drums, pads, leads, bass, risers, effects, glitches, it can do it all - simultaneously across 12 tracks. It’s also one of those grooveboxes with its own distinct sound and that feels as much as an instrument as a groovebox. The Digitakt has similar qualities, but it uses samples instead of synthesis, and with fewer tracks. The ultimate Elektron Digi box would do both samples and synthesis, but that doesn’t exist yet in this neat little form factor.

If you’re more of a producer and want granular control of all aspects of the song like automation, mixing, etc while still having the ability to do all of that in the groovebox, and if you’d rather not choose between samples vs synthesis, and you’d like to still keep things reasonably affordable, my vote would go for the MPC One. It can pretty much do it all. Is it as fun as the Syntakt and does it have its own character? I’d say not really. The MPC is more of a production tool than an instrument. But as far as grooveboxes go, it’s extremely capable.

If you really value portability and imagine yourself making music outdoors or on the go, then neither of the above will be a great fit. My GAS-infused choice would have to be the Polyend Tracker Mini with its built-in battery, microphone and tracker-styled sequencer. Probably not as fun to jam on as the Digitakt, but then again you can actually take the PTM with you. The Digitakt really isn’t portable as it’s built like a tank and is meant to be in your studio or on stage, not really in your backpack.

Grooveboxes I would place much lower in this list include Roland products, including, ironically, those products with the literal word “groovebox” on them. The MC-101, while great sounding, is not fun to use. Roland seems to have a way of designing workflows and interfaces that make you want to throw their gear out the windows. Same with the SP-404 MKII (technically a sampler, not a groovebox). But then again if you’re into lofi, the SP might just be the perfect groovebox?

Then finally we have the top of the groovebox food chain, the Ableton Push 3. Is it even really a groovebox? Ableton tries to market it as an “instrument”, but that’s clearly just marketing. This is a production tool and a very capable midi controller with full Ableton integration. The Syntakt is far more of an instrument if you ask me. But the Push 3 is arguably the most capable standalone groovebox money can buy - and you need lots of it. If the MPC felt a bit like a daw in a box, the Push 3 takes that up a notch by including the most popular daw in the industry in the box! But it doesn’t really become limitless unless you also buy a Live Suite license, bringing the total cost up to north of $2500 - prohibitively expensive for a standalone groovebox.

So which one is the best groovebox? Obviously the Syntakt. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes