Best groovebox ever made?

Yeah I had the 1k too with full license jjos. Still love the 2kxl much more. Maybe cause it was my first hardware sampler and I knew it in and out.

I don’t miss my 1k at all.

Hey, if you ever get troubles with the buttons in your 1k I made a template (which I probably trashed) that can control it from an iPad via usb to MIDI using app touchOSC (I think)

My 1k had som bad buttons

:wink:

Oh you said mpc one

Haha I thought you meant the 1000 :wink:

Cheers

I guess you answered my question that was refering to MPC 1000 :wink:
Thanks.

1 Like

been on the web trying to get to the bottom of Octatrack sound quality since 2011

3 Likes

3 Likes

MPC1000 unfortunately had some build quality issues.
JJOS was way better than Akai OS, but I never really gelled with it.
As far as build quality goes, 2000 and 2000XL are built like thanks.
Among the three, I remember the 2000XL being the most satisfying to use. I had the 8 outs expansion and the FX card installed as well.

A few years later I had the chance to get an MPC4000, and that was like playing in a totally different league.

1 Like

https://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/rave309.php

This never gets a mention. Always fancied a go!

3 Likes

Yeah a guy I knew had the 4000

Anyone remember the black 2500! Didn’t that one look like the 2kxl? I saw it at a friends house…

Yeah build quality on 1k was bad.

The black version was better that the blue thou.

I also had a 500 for a bit.

It was fun!
I just had one for review during a couple of months, when it first came out.
Incredibly addictive and super quick to come up with killer grooves. The sequencer timing was a bit loose though, IIRC.

1 Like

what interests me more is the question: Best groovebox for X style/vibe of music.
since the way i interact with tools depends on what i want to create, and theres always tools that can excell at certain things, while others fall behind.

I think people who praise a device highly are those whos taste allign with the one offered by said groovebox. If you keep that in mind while counting up votes, you might reveal what music the majority of people like to create, rather than whats best. :nerd:

1 Like

I dig it so far. TR style sequencer Roland made famous got some love making it more accessible in the latest 3.0 update. However, If I’m being honest I’m still learning the device and have yet to use that feature much.

I have heard many raves about OPZ. Besides its groovy form factor, what makes its sequencer so magical?

2 Likes

its funny, as i was typing my joke i did have a weird moment when i called the m8 a groovebox, doesnt feel like the right word for it, youre right. and for sure, this is a tracker crowd for sure. good company!

4 Likes

Groove Calculator

Edit - big fan of my Korg’s (E2 & 2s) for grooving a box

4 Likes

“unofficial pocket operator plus”

1 Like

TR-8s is basically just a drum machine/drum synth. A great one yes, but not much to do with it alone, unless you’re into some Jeff Mills type of stuff (I know it can do melodies too, but it’s really limited and impractical for this).

2 Likes

Deluge is the most inspiring for me. Take it somewhere outdoors, record some sounds happening around me, and build a track around those sounds. Then back home easily replace some of the synth and drum tracks with midi tracks to control external stuff. The oled screen is a huge improvement and I’m excited to see some of the new features that open source code brings.

I used the OP-1 Field in a similar way and loved the synths and sampling sound quality, but it just didn’t integrate with other gear as smoothly for me as the Deluge.

1 Like

For me, the OP-1 qualifies more as a portable workstation than a groovebox.

I could be wrong but doesn’t midi on the E2 still eat at the total poly count of the device? Main advantage is release tails aren’t going to get cut on an external synth.

There’s no definitive definition and I can’t really be arsed debating that stuff :man_shrugging:t3:
No-one’s voted for a bassoon yet and I think most people understand broadly what we’re referring to. Just for fun.

:thinking:

3 Likes