Best gear to record hardware devices on separate tracks simultaneously

MultitrCk studio will get the job done as well, no doubt. ATM I prefer recording via Auria and then transferring to my DAW anyway. Those FabFilter plugins eat my iPad for breakfast if I engage even one instance of any plugin with oversampling set to on lol

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks again for the SoundCraft 12MTK iOS recording tip. Itā€™s completely changed my recording workflow ā€“ Iā€™m capturing so much more now that I only need to plug my phone in when I like whatā€™s happening. After playing with Auria, Multitrack Studio, and Multitrack DAW (http://www.harmonicdog.com/), Iā€™ve been happiest with Multitrack DAW.

FWIW I was really disappointed after paying $$$$$ for Auria and a tempting FabFilter plugin to discover that you canā€™t export stems from Auria as separate audio files or as any format that Ableton recognizes. In Multitrack DAW, itā€™s really easy to get the stems off the iPhone or iPad and onto a desktop ā€“ it makes use of wifi via a localhost web route. Quite a clever way around the iOS file system nightmare.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been using the Behringer XR18 for over a year. No issues and it sounds great. Records 18 channels over USB no problem. Great features that they pulled in from the X32.

What? This cannot be true. Are you absolutely sure you havenā€™t missed something? Thereā€™s gotta be a way to export multitracks from Auria. Will look into this.

EDIT: Reading the manual, AAF export is supported for dropbox. So Iā€™m guessing other multitrack export options are available too?

Haha, youā€™re right. In the Mixdown menu, thereā€™s a ā€œStemsā€ option for File Type, which according to the manual ā€œwill automatically bounce every track, including effects and automation, to individual WAV files.ā€ And it seems that you can transfer all those wav files onto a desktop via the app iFunBox.

Makes me feel better about the money I spent, as itā€™s a very nice app!

3 Likes

Iā€™m reviving this thread to ask if any of the popular suggestions (ZED R16, 22MTK, UFX1604) can record individual channels to the DAW post-fader? I really want to be able to record live performances of my tracks in the studio, and playing the faders is always a crucial part of the performance.

I know I could get the same functionality from a straight-forward analogue mixer with direct outs plugged into an audio interface, but I want to simplify my studio setup, and Iā€™ve always struggled with noise and interference when doing that before.

Perhaps a workaround with the ZED R16 would be to record each channel post-EQ and set the faders to control the DAW faders via midiā€¦?

I think the MTK only sends 2 channels back.

I was going to pick one up, and if I recall this was the reason I decided against it.

As I understand the 22MTK sends all the mono channels to separate DAW channels, and can return those DAW channels to the corresponding channels on the desk.

My concern is whether there are any devices that can send to the DAW post-fader.

1 Like

Not on the Soundcraft, no. All channels can be sent over USB for recording, but the signal is tapped right after the input and gain. To send anything post fader with EQ and all of that, you have to do a bit of routing and sacrifice channels. You can send the mix bus out and it will of course have all of your fader and knob moves, but only as part of a complete mix, not individual channels.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. Do you know of anything comparable that can send post-fader?

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m thinking of the 12 MTK.

Can you record mutes with the desk?

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t. That doesnā€™t mean that they donā€™t exist, though.

Perhaps not ā€œcomparableā€ in price as it is bit of a step up but the Allen & Heath Qu Series is very flexible with regard to where in the signal path the channel output gets tapped before going out over USB.

The direct out (recording out) setting is global, meaning it is the same for all channelā€™s direct outputs, but it can be before the eq, or after the eq, or after the eq and comp, or after any track delay, or after everything, and for each option you can choose whether or not to follow mute and/or follow fader.

3 Likes

TBH I donā€™t get the appeal of the QU Pac. I enjoy using a mixing desk as an instrument, playing with the levels, the sends, the EQs. I want a one-knob-per-function layout, like a traditional old school analog mixing desk. If it works for others then great, but Iā€™d really rather that whatever I end up buying didnā€™t have a screen.

2 Likes

thereā€™s always the qu16,24,32

2 Likes

Really? The recording flexibility that is lacking on all those mixers you have your eye on is a big part of the appeal.

1 Like

Same here. Went the Midas F route. It also sends pre-fader but a mod to change it to post-fader is reportedly a basic job for a technician. All I can say is that this is a monster mixer if you like it in this format and have the space. The mod is still on to do list but I am definitely doing it. Maybe you could ask support if a similar mod is also possible for these mixers?

I guess the one-knob-per function thing is for me a non-negotiable feature, whereas post-fader recording I could possibly live without.

Iā€™ve been wondering if itā€™s possible to control the qupac with controllers like faderfox or novation launchcontrol xl? If this could be possible, then Iā€™d have no probs coming upp with a ā€œcontrol surfaceā€ for one.