Best controller for OT for live?

Thanks very much! That helps a lot!! This was exactly the info I was looking for.

1 Like

Oh yeah the uc33 is hideous but it was also 50 quid. Gonna slap stickers all over it, Itā€™s a great bit of gear other than that. Iā€™d like 8 faders and 2 rows of 8 buttons. If I had to switch page for a different button function thereā€™s no difference to using OT itself. But thatā€™s what I mean, itā€™s hardly a nuisance anyway.

2 Likes

I use the Akai MPD 232 to control amp volume, track mutes and cue outs for external fx. And there are pads for finger drumming too, although they only send full velocity. Works like a charm and itā€™s possible to change midi parameters on the device itself.

1 Like

So yeah, this is what happened today! A dev session with some of the Elektron gear, Organelle, OP1, some audio units running on iOS, few Electraā€™s and some beers!

9 Likes

Using audio unit FX or instruments? How are you interfacing the iOS device with everything else? This has been my biggest challenge using iPad with everything else. Iā€™d love to be able to use iPad for FX or sending MIDI sequences to my hardware synths. I hope you donā€™t say iConnectā€¦ lol

Demo with OT please! :beers:

3 Likes

Is there any midi controller with preset change over midi program change ? Most of the time the control I need for one song is not the same for another song, especially in a live context, so Iā€™d like to change the control from a song to another.

I see there is different setup in the faderfox, can you change them fast and seamlessly ?

1 Like

Bonne question !
I searched ā€œsetupā€ and ā€œgroupā€ terms in UC4 manual, but I didnā€™t see any midi command to load them. Maybe possible.

From UC4 manual :

First choose the encoder group by holding shift key and press one of the 8 encoders.

-8 independent groups for encoders and faders/buttons (controlled by shift key)
-About 264 commands per setup (33 controls x 8 groups)
-18 setups with backup/restore function contain all controller settings

Thanks ! I saw that too, but while reading the manual of the next generation of faderfox micro controller http://faderfox.de/ec4.html
Even if there is no PCH over midi, the visual feedback should be enough !

2 Likes

Itā€™s finally out!!!

2 Likes

Yay, Iā€™m going nuts :crazy_face:

Edit; Just read the manual, seems to be pretty much the perfect midi controller^^
There are even context menus available during controller editing like, ā€˜copy midi channel number to all encoders in the groupā€™, ā€˜fill midi channel numbers in the same group with ascending numbersā€™ and stuff like that!
Faderfox controllers also are well built, so Iā€™m really looking forward to pair the EC4 with my OT :content:

In my case, I have my OT Cue Out go into my iConnectivity Audio 4+ / iPad where the audio is routed into an FX chain in AUM and back out into OT Line in 3+4.

Midi Out from the iConnectivity goes into Midi in of the OT which allows me to also use the iPad as Midi sequencer for all gear that is connected to the OT - but I rarely use this actually.

I then have an Arturia Keystep going into the USB port of the iConnectivity which routes it onwards to the OT and subsequent gear. This way, I can use it to control my hardware but also soft synths on the iPad simply by switching between midi channels.

Finally my DT Midi Out goes into the iConnectivityā€™s Midi inā€¦in case I want to use the 8 midi tracks of the DT to control soft synths on the iPad while taking advantage of that Elektron sequencer magic - which I do sometimes for bread and butter sounds like FM synthesis (Phasemaker sounds crisp).

But the most common use of the ipad for me is as ā€œFX unitā€ processing the OTā€™s CUE OUT signal. It took me a while to work this out and settle on it also, the sheer infinite potential can really bog down and block the creative flow, so itā€™s important to take decisions and stick with them.

Hope this helps.

I have the UC4. Itā€™s really great. I appreciate the faders, but use the encoders more. Iā€™ll probably pick up a EC4 and see if it can crowd out the UC4 in the rig.

2 Likes

Finally! Should pair nicely with the Zoia too :partying_face:

So UC4 or EC4?

Which would you guys prefer for controlling the holy Trinity?

1 Like

I got the EC4, because:

(1) I prefer encoders when you can sync them with a device (no need to move controls around to snap to the real values). In this regards encoders are much better than faders. Sorrily only the OT supports CC values request per MIDI to sync them.

(2) The display is also a big plus for me. No need to remember whatā€™s configured where.

(3) The EC4 has also a nice browser-based visual editor. I really wonder why the UC4 has none ā€¦

BUT NOTE: there is only one MIDI adapter (type B) included. For syncing (CC values request on OT) you need a second one.

6 Likes

Good to know!

ā€œBUT NOTE: there is only one MIDI adapter (type B) included. For syncing (CC values request on OT) you need a second one.ā€

Iā€™m unclear about this part. Does this mean getting it to sync with the OT mk1 is impossible or Iā€™d just have to buy another $5 type B MIDI adaptor? Maybe stupdi question but I want to make sure before I spend half the price of a used OT on its controller.

It is because you need to connect both Midi out and Midi in, I think.

2 Likes

Exactly. For parameter feedback and request you have to connect the midi controller to both midi in and out so that everything you do on the OT is also reflected in the controller, not only the controller sending midi to OT.
This way you can jump back and forth between OT and the controller without parameter jumps.

If you change to a new part, send cc61 to OT and OT will send its current state to the controller so it can update all values.

6 Likes