Best controller for OT for live?

Silent, motorised faders are the dream.

For now, I have a simpler dream of finding a controller with faders of the perfect length and with just the right amount of resistance, so yep. Gotta get tactile. Will get my finicky fingers on a Faderfox fader box eventually.

I have a TR-8 that I’m otherwise not using, which could stoop to be a MIDI controller but I find it too big and unwieldy.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I like having some faders so the mx12 is more my thing for the studio. But for live I’m looking for something smaller.

http://www.faderfox.de/uc4.html

Small version with faders!

Was thinking about getting this one myself soonish, decided against it for now because my OT is on the way to the Elektron workshop.

2 Likes

Oh no! What happened to your OT?!

Btw UC4 looks sweet!

1 Like

The Electra One is super flexible. I just ordered one myself.

Something to note, I got a controller with a bunch of faders and pots and it’s usually easier to just change what you want in OT. Its too modular to make set controls for, fx slots change, tracks change to different machines, LFOs with different destinations on each track etc. Faders are useful but you’ve still then gotta be very organised with your track order. I’d grab something with 8 faders and quick mute buttons, launch control XL would be ideal if you didn’t have to mess with a usb midi host

3 Likes

Surgeon’s setup seems to work for him using the PC4. Do you think he’s mapped his most used FX parameters? I don’t think the PC4 or any of these controllers would allow you to tweak more than 2 parameters on an OT with just one knob… Idk. How do you reckon he has mapped the PC4 to the OT?

Surgeon: the Art of Production

1 Like

there’s a related interview for that video…

he mentions this…

I do that by using a Faderfox MIDI controller. You can plug it into a web browser and map each of the Faderfox’s knobs to whatever Octratrack parameters you want easy access to. I’ve got it set up so I have important controls like volume, high- and low-cut for each individual track immediately accessible without having to dive into the Octatrack’s menus. It makes it far more useable.

those 3 parameters on 8 tracks would cover all the PC4’s knobs

3 Likes

The faderfox PC12 has an insane amount of hands-on control - PLUS it’s the same size as the OG OT’s.

They don’t come up for sale much at all though. You just missed me selling one for a steal!

1 Like

:grimacing:
Do you need internet to edit it?

I think mapping is really personal, depends on your needs!

Check @guga’s Goliath midi controller : 16 parameters with 1 knob, or receiving crossfader’s CC48.
Midi processors in general can be used to map any midi message to any midi message.

@AdamJay mentioned this Midi Fighter Twister.
2nd CC by pressing knob IIRC.

2 Likes

I’ve had a couple of MidiFighter Twisters in the past. Well built and solid, really tactile feel too - I really liked it.

There’s lots of hacks/scripts you can get from the DJ Tech Tools site too. There’s a great one that allows it to act as a drum sequencer with AbletonLive.

1 Like

Love the look of the Faderfox UC4. Really have to get one at some point.

1 Like

It looks like it can be done with the controller alone (learn) but can also use a web interface which needs internet access

2 Likes

Learn with min/max ? Much better!

Not sure about all controllers but Kenton makes StudioFreak which allows exactly for that. Used to use it with an Emu 6400 Ultra sampler sending lots of CCs on the same slider/button…

1 Like

I use the Launch Control XL, it works really well!
Faders for volume, knobs for filters and reverd dry/wet, buttons for mute and send to my delay pedal and to some triggers arming.
And it’s cheap!

1 Like

Yes but no DIN MIDI unfortunately

And there’s Zaquencer… I’m still trying to find another cheap BCR so I can have one as a dedicated MIDI controller and one with Zaqeucner on it.

1 Like

True, I use the Kenton Midi USB host:
https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/

It works very well but it’s true that it adds to the cost