Best companion for Digitakt? SP404 vs. 1010music BlackBox vs.?

I recently picked up both the SP404 and Digitakt so I can move 80% of my music making off a DAW (before bouncing back into Ableton to mix and master).

Really LOVE the Digitakt for how it gets you thinking about layering complex drum sequences but it doesn’t have the best sample slicing workflow. Instead, I load all my samples onto my SP404 and midi sequence using the Digitakt.

The setup does work, but there are some frustrating quirks:

• The SP404 as a standalone groove box doesn’t really do it for me. The pattern sequencer and resampling method both feel a little outdated to me compared to what I’m used to in a DAW. It can be an inspiring device but it sucks when technical limitations put a damper on how fast I can jot ideas down. (Case in point - I’m a pretty shit finger drummer and it takes me ages to get the right loop down at the right BPM before I can start playing chops)

• Neither device has great sample slicing. e.g. would love to be able to auto-chop into 8, 16, pads and visualize waveforms and cut with greater accuracy.

The Blackbox stands out as potentially a great companion to the Digitakt instead of the SP404 (and a better all-around groovebox). What do you guys think?

Maybe you want an MPC ?

3 Likes

I’m pretty comfortable using Ableton and prefer to do my heavy DAW lifting in the box. From what I know about the MPC, it’s more of a DAW replacement.

Really I’m looking for a simple combo of hardware to build ideas out quickly without heading directly into Ableton.

What you want to do on the DT that you can’t ? If it’s only slicing a sample, maybe you can check my tips here to have a kind of auto slice. It’s not as MPC because you can’t play pads but you can TRIG+YES to build your chop.

I don’t know how you work but for me, I sold my SPs to keep only the DT to keep my desk clean without tons of cables and machines to start and sync.

I do more with less. Maybe you can try to dig more the DT then ?

1 Like

Been considering this myself… Only thing, absolute only thing wrong for my use cases with the DT is stereo sampling for chords. I know that it’s a drum computer and I mostly sample my mono Moog modular, but I’d like to be able to sample my Summit’s chord stabs and/or strings, and especially the Moog Matriarch when I get it since it has no memory like my current Moog gear, I’d also like a Subsequent 37 (did I mention more Moog :smiley: )

OT is a great solution but too much Elektron hinders my flow. If they ever release an MK3 I will have to hop on board, however.

1 Like

Why do you want stereo for chords ? If you want wide sound maybe you can play with the stereo panning and reverb/delay.

The Summit’s chorus.

Stereo effect pedals in my signal path.

2 Likes

I did the exact same thing… I did love the sp404 and kept it for now, but the idea of having just one box to do everything is amazing. It feels liberating to work within a single box, and forces you to be creative within its limitations. The DT is the perfect machine as it is very capable of nearly everything (including chopping, but its also a very capable polysynth with the smart midi cable).

To answer OP’s question: A lot of machines feel like an addition to the DT, but really introduce more trouble than they solve. I would try to make some stuff on the DT only. Chopping is actually very easy and precise compared to other machines, especially with the trig+yes combo allowing you to play trigs within a track. Just p-lock the startpoint. If you want to play your chops, just use a ‘dummy’ pattern where every track is a chop, and then copy the sounds one by one to the actual track you’ll use.

2 Likes

whatever you do keep the DT but otherwise the mpc with it’s ridiculously useful set of features and Ableton Live format export is exactly the ticket imho… mpc one would treat you right and make a sick combo with the DT

3 Likes

Polyend tracker?

That why I give up with FX box and pedals. Now I use internal DT FX or I use VST plugins in separate tracks. Always when I used an hardware FX I got issues to record properly or sample it. Even if you have a box that can stereo sample, if you want sample a synth with reverb you have to sample 3 loops, the start, the middle and the end. It’s too hard to manage and I think sampling should stay simple and as raw as possible.
But you can still use your summit with FX in a separate midi track from the DT, right ?

Everyone has their own methods, why the need to convince me of yours?

Yes I can and have, but sometimes I want more than 2 Summit sounds at a time, or to simply mangle it as a sample.

Regardless my reasoning needs no justification, I’m only interested in possible solutions, and the Octatrack seems to be the only one.

If the OT had per step MIDI patch change and 4 note polyphony per MIDI track I’d have ditched the DT yesterday.

Indeed: Stereo sampling (and automatic multi-sampling of your hardware), slicing, etc.

2 Likes

Do they sync well together? From what I can tell you can make polyrhythms on the Blackbox but in song mode it falls apart… As long as I don’t use song mode the timing should fit well with whatever I do on DT?

I sold my digitakt but I regularly use my blackbox with a model:samples. Timing is a non-issue.

Sorry I didn’t want hurt you or convince you to do anything. I don’t speak very well english maybe I wrote something bad. I just wanted to share my experience or help.

2 Likes

No hurt taken my friend, I’m just saying there are multiple ways and no ways are correct. I need what I need!

3 Likes

great idea but too close to the price of an mpc one imho

I sold my MPC, I kept the blackbox.

:slight_smile: somebody had to do it