Best combo, with AF or DN?

Between the A4 and DN I’d say, ummmm, Octatrack! :smile:

-fulfilling obligatory Elektronauts OT recommendation for every gear choice thread- :wink:

8 Likes

I’d personally go A4.

A4/AR were a great combo before Digitone came along, and Digitone does nothing to change that.

But I’m super partial to the kit implementation (browser), performance macros, accent, laying trigs in the FX track, that old throwback and yet somehow timeless Dieter Rams industrial design in the MK1, the feedback OSC, neighbor routing, CV.
A great combo of things that make it so dang powerful!

So much of that is workflow considerations.

There’s also the sonic pairing.
I never understood the idea of having to pair an analog this with a digital that in order to have “all things covered”. Studios are not commercial kitchens that require a “mise en place” to function.
Some pairs just sound great. AR+A4 is one of them. MD+A4 is also one of them.

Anyways, its personal. And that’s usually where these threads end up. You hear all points of view with good reasoning all around, but ultimately it’s up to your needs, what your ears like, and what you’re most inspired and productive with. Pick the one that will tick the most boxes for YOU.

6 Likes

If you are doing more “melodic stuff” with chords and harmonies, AR + DN. If your stuff is more beats, bloops and bass, AR + A4.

I slightly favour the textural interplay of DN + AR, but that consideration should come after the one I outlined above…

3 Likes

Both are very powerful combos !

I would go for AR and DN though, because they are so different and thus bring you a wider palette. This, and the fact that DN is my favorite synth :smiley:
And it’s cheaper.

DN can approach analog subtractive better than A4 can do clean FM.
One has 4 notes polyphony, but is better treated as 4 mono (IMO) while DN 8 voices give a wider range of expression in this regard (again IMO).
A4 mk2 has separate outs. You might even want to go for an Analog Keys… Btw there’s a DN keys as well.
Anyway, you can’t really go wrong with either.
Just ask yourself if you’re more attracted by FM synthesis or subtractive one with analog sound I guess.
Rytm will make a good wingman for both.

4 Likes

I can’t help you. I try to sell one of them but can’t decide which one I like more. They are equally great but for different reasons. You can’t really go wrong imo.
But overall, I remember reading quite a lot of complains about A4 sound and difficulty to program, while everybody seems to rave about how good the DN sounds

1 Like

Wow. Talk about impossible choices. From a purely practical view I suppose I would choose the DN. More voices, further sequencing options (never know when you might want to have the DN sequence the AR (even when AR is master!)). A4 can do midi out now but still not as many options as the DN sequencer.

Soundwise, DN will give your FM plus very serviceable subtractive virtual analog-ish sounds. DN gives your more voices. With the A4 you may also find your self tempted to “waste” A4 voices doing percussion (as the A4 is so good at percussion).

What type of music (sorry if I missed this). For techno, A4 might be your better choice. But if doing any lofi-ish, idm, etc. DN is going to help fill out the slower beats and give a (to me) more lofi aesthetic at times. DN is not lofi by any means but it seems more capable of going in that direction. A4 to me is a very clean and powerful sound. I love them both to an absurd degree. Partial to the A4 if I had to choose. I recommend the DN in the context of AR + DN and nothing else in the setup.

1 Like

I really struggled with the A4 (and AR) for some reason, found them totally frustrating to navigate. DN is like a dream in comparison.

AR + DN is my go to combo. You might find the transition between their respective architecture slightly jarring, but after a couple of hours with the DN you’ll be flying on it. I’ve been tempted numerous times by adding the A4, mostly because of the effects track, but it definitely is an apples to oranges type of question. I went DN because of FM, number of voices, and external sequencing possibilities. Also the smaller size is nice when you have limited desk space. I have never really used song mode on the AR, and occasionally use pattern chaining. I primarily switch patterns around live, and do lots of mutes/performance pads/tweaking which I think is really easy with this combo.

If no one has said it yet, the FM options on the Analog 4 are very, very limited. OP mentioned it in the first post.

I like the Analog 4 and given unlimited funds for my studio would certainly have one. In retrospect it was kind of a strange beast. I never got on with it in Poly Mode and four mono tracks always ended up being over kill (for me). I really liked it for sequencing the MS-20 mini.

I’ve not owned a DN but my feeling is you’ll probably end up liking it better overall. DN is very near the top of my wish list.