Best basic summary of tracks and patterns

Just got the DT and having trouble figuring out tracks and patterns after several hours of play.

Can’t find good, clear overview.

Also confused about possibilities for having diff instrument racks on each track.

Don’t see obvious way to identify which track or pattern I’m on at any time.

Thanks

In the above image, Where is says A1 is the pattern. Where it says SMP 1 Is the track number. It’ll say MIDI instead of SMP if you are in a midi track.

1 Like

Probably seems basic to everyone but I think I just realized while rewatching the start of cuckoo’s mega tutorial (correct me if I’m wrong) that tracks are the 1-8 buttons and that each track has only one instrument/sample assigned to it. The assignments of samples to tracks don’t change when changing tracks.

Initially, I thought that each track was composed of all eight sample buttons and that each track In a project could have different samples assigned to any of the 1-8 buttons. I was trying to switch to a different track thinking that doing so would expose a different 1-8 rack. I guess I was hoping to have one track for a drum kit (8 sounds) one track for synths (8 sounds); one track for vocal samples (8 sounds), etc.

Does that mean that we’re limited to max of 8 samples for any project?

Does a saved pattern hold info about all settings for all 8 tracks including trig locks and parameter settings?

Maybe I should also ask about the bank button because that’s also not obvious to me.

Read the manual

3 Likes

pg 14

A project is comprised of sixteen patterns, limited to 127 samples (or 64 mb) - you need to make a distinction between “track” and “pattern” - a pattern is comprised of eight tracks, or “sounds” = samples w/add’l automation (parameter locks, effects etc.) information. You can use more than eight samples per pattern by locking additional samples per trig, but you have to accommodate the extra sample behavior–it can be “choked” out by the original sample on the same track (and vice versa). The track assignments (samples) can vary between patterns, unless you’ve copied the sample/sequence/sound information to other pattern banks, then they’ll initially share the same makeup. Each pattern (out of sixteen total) can be comprised of any eight samples, of the total 127 samples per project… with the capability of sample-locking add’l samples (per trig) for that pattern. Read the manual, watch Cuckoo’s tutorials. You shouldn’t have to worry about the BANK button/function yet.

3 Likes

I thought I was reading the manual. Just realized that the quick guide book in the box isn’t the same thing.

1 Like

thanks!

Oh lord, you are going to have so much fun haha

1 Like

So patient, so thorough; I’m glad you’re here.

1 Like

i’m just a noob :slight_smile:

1 Like

A project actually holds 8 banks of 16 patterns, not just 16 patterns. Since patterns cant be copied between projects working within banks within a project is important.

5 Likes

Is this true ?
128 projects x 128 patterns = 16384 patterns that can be stored on the DT
Thanks