Berklee school of music recognizes laptop+controller as a musical instrument

As someone who spent years learning a traditional instrument (as many here have I’m sure), this is perfect.

1 Like

No one with a burning desire to make electronic music has been waiting for Berklee’s permission.

3 Likes

Way back in the day, only colleges and universities outside of the uber wealthy had access to decent synths and modular gear. Buchla comes to mind and Moog as well used to be super pricey like the equivalent of 50k for a modular rack. Buchla and Moog modular are still expensive but at least lower cost entries on modular and synths make it far more accessible outside of academia and wealthy musicians.

1 Like

I went to a well-ranked music college that was inexplicably situated in one of the roughest neighbourhoods in my country.

Our Moog Rogue was the only thing the faculty would let out of their sight for more than five minutes. It was bolted to a metal library cart and “available to be signed out for studio use.” The thought still crossed my mind, as it probably did everyone I knew. I’d be surprised if it lasted more than another year after I graduated.

1 Like

I think this is more about the state of the music industry and the lack of work that pays a reasonable income for creative output, less so about Berklee’s relevance. It reads like a market shift and a mass realization that one can study videos and learn music theory, guitar, python, physics and law simultaneously in the course of a few years for free, assuming one is motivated.

3 Likes

…a computer, with or without any kind of controler, is always a music STUDIO of it’s own…
and some use a studio as an instrument…
but it never becomes a musical INSTRUMENT…
sorry, berkleee…but thanx for the progress, anyways…

great professors, i know one too many kids who are in $200k debt working tech support with their electronic music degree from there. stay away