UB-Xa from Behringer

Announcing the Behringer UB-Xa

Based in concept from the Oberheim OB-Xa. This is analog and will take about a year to develop – they’re letting this development slowly mature and not rushing. Being done by the Midas developers in Manchester UK, the people who did the Deepmind. Say what you like, Behringer is determined with a long-term vision to establish their reputation as a synth maker. Only my opinion, but it seems to me they will spend several years making quality recreations of classic products and developing their own engineering skills and reputation before moving on to more original designs.

5 Likes

I might be tempted by the UB-Xa. I’m guessing they’ll tweak the design somewhere - like maybe add WiFi :wink:

It was a joke, based on the Deepmind feature set.

2 Likes

I believe Gibson still owns the rights to Oberheim Electronics, though they have licensed the trademark to Viscount, unless Nick knows something we don’t. I do not believe Tom O. ever got the rights back.

1 Like

Uli/Midas could try reaching out to Tom O. and hiring him as a consultant or something. His involvement would add quite a bit of luster to the UB-Xa. He has done consulting work before - Roland and Akai for example.

Similarly, they should hire Pete Zivoniev as a consultant for the VCS-3 clone :wink:

2 Likes

That sounds a little too ethical.
I can more likely envision Uli wearing a Tom O mask at the UB-XA launch.
Why just clone the synth :joy:

4 Likes

No, Uil would have someone play Jump on the UB-Xa, then play Eddie’s solo on a Gibson clone guitar.

I am sorry

4 Likes

Larry approves :okej:

4 Likes

Pretty, pretty, pretty good

3 Likes

Sorry for double posting, did a search first >> this did not came up in the results. Anyway, all good.

2 Likes

tremendously unpleasant high-pitched squeal.

3 Likes

I didn’t hear any squeal, but maybe my ears are old and busted? Still seems like it’s a long way off, as they only hit a few keys and swept the filter a couple times. I wonder if all this cloning is paying off for Behringer, or if they’re barely breaking even.

theres a really strong Digital squeal… like a fax or dial-up

1 Like

That’s not Manchester dialect :rofl: i am surprised they made that thing so big, i like it. I think this will cost a lot more than the deepmind.

They never dissapoint. I just have to decide whether I want to make room for a DS80 or a UB-Xa

I heard the squeal too, very loud to my ears, but it’s still in development and I’m sure that won’t be there on the final product. Would love to see more footage once it’s a little further along.

1 Like

Proud (North) Mancunian here. I’d happily trade parts of my body for a job at Midas…