Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

I boarded the Behringer train pretty late, around 2015 or so. Everyone kept saying their stuff is shite. The mixer I got, was great. I always wondered if the myth on Behringer’s shaky build quality lasted longer than the truth of it, as myths tend to do.

3 Likes

you know, that whole being ashamed thing might just be why roland insists on not doing the analog versions again, would make sense to me. Japanese take that stuff very seriously.

But regarding the RD-8, I can assure you mine feels pretty well built. I don’t know what you’re talking about? Ok, its not elektron tier (what else is?), but perfectly acceptable. As for the sound, you need to test one in person, the online demos are generally piss poor and only give a narrow view of the sound, which is a bit more malleable than you might think if only judging by online videos.

You’ve seen this “demo” right?

8 Likes

Ohhhhhh myyyyy :hushed: that was dope!

Yep. Agree with your sentiment Tsutek.
I recently played the RD8 and K2… and came home with both. The RD8 is a bunch of fun, and though fiddly to get to the deeper parts of the sequencer, it’s got a pretty damn good sound. More open than the Rytm imho. And combined with a mixer and some insert/send fx it’s kicking hard. Also had the Boog for a while now, and own a few old Behringer pieces which have generally held up better than the price warranted. Got no reason to think that the 303 will be all fail, though no doubt better options out there nowadays.

The main trouble with 303 remakes though is that none of them sound exactly like the originals. Low expectations on this one as well, though maybe tempting to get it just to sequence/double with a MAM mb33 rack for slidey slides.

1 Like

Ordered the red one for a test… we’ll see in two weeks.

1 Like

they already sell these? where? EDIT: Aat least thomann has the preorders open for blue and red. Not overly fond of the red shade, looks very muted somehow?

155€ is a crazy price considering it kinda has a distortion pedal also baked in!

I might get a silver or a UV \ neon yellow one. the price is just too stupid to resist!

B. Pedals are 20EUr retail, so they make them for 4,50 max :wink:

yes but it takes less space inside the box itself :nyan:

True that :panda:

150 is cheap though! I ve put my mind on the Tangible Waves modular system…

I quite like the blue one.

1 Like

yeah, the red one is something :smiley:

Yes, bought a red one at Thomann. I like red… (nord modular, esx, neutron…) :joy:

2 Likes

Wow… already unavailable on Thomann… that escalated quickly :rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

I would be curious to hear what Andreas Tilliander thinks of this TD-3 unit.

2 Likes

same. squelchy acid sounds so “my first 90s movie soundtrack rave scene song” to me. gimme the bubbly soulful stuff or plucky squares and i’m stoked. using the Monologue for this, which is SO squelchy by nature, but finally tamed it enough to get some acidy stuff out of it. will be buying this thing no doubt.

1 Like

That’s a nice open spot to put your smiley face sticker :wink:

4 Likes

The price is very low, even by Behringer standards, I wonder how long before it gets even lower, once secondhand units start appearing for €100 I guess, ironically Behringer could be their own worst competition, they can’t be making much profit on these, once you take off the VAT and dealer margins.

The TB-303 original selling price was £299 in 1982!

2 Likes

its bananas, thats for sure.
Reckon theyre like, if we charge 299 we’ll sell x amount but at 150 well sell triple that.
or somink.
Im great at business :smile:

Yes bananas!