Behringer TD-3 [303 clone]

Build quality wise the general consensus is most of the stuff has been better than expected. Short term there have been bugs but they seem to get ironed out fairly quickly. Long term, who knows but as others have pointed out at £99 I think it’d be fair to say they might nor last for ever.

Conversely at £99 there’s no excuse for not having a backup unit either.

1 Like

By all accounts the original TB-303 isn‘t exactly built like a tank either.

9 Likes

every synth can do some sort of acid ‘flavour’! I would rather maybe go for the Crave

1 Like

It was me who brought up the Acid8 so I guess I should expand… I never intended the comparison as being authentic as compared to the original 303. I did say “acid-ish” as I was talking more generally about aspects of what you’d call an acid sound. As that would be what I’d use a TD-3 for, rather than as a means to emulate classic acid 100% accurately. Which doesn’t seem too off topic for this thread…

But I just refreshed myself with some Acid8 vids on YouTube to save firing up the music gear… I love, love, love how it sounds. Especially with the lower bitrate waveforms.

I’m sure for many that the TD-3 will be a far better choice.

3 Likes

These are begging to be circuit bent at that price. I think these will be classics in their own right

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Behringer era

I can buy three TD-3s - one of each color because all silver would be boring - to join my TT-303 MkI, and finally start ripping off TM404

Or just buy a red one and a blue one and only rip off his triple 303 tracks

Somebody inquired about the sound differences in the Loopop video. This is an interesting response by Behringer.

Oh and I ordered a silver one, I couldn’t resist. Perfect Circuit Audio is now selling these in the US.

6 Likes

IMHO there is no “emulating” acid sound. Either your track sounds like acid or it doesn’t. What gear you used? not really important.

I wonder if you can devilfish mod these… that’s a raw, piercing sound right there!

7 Likes

saw that. the filter doesn’t close as fully as the original tho. unless theres a trim pot under the hood it’s a fair bit off.
that, and the glide seems much weaker than the original.

ive preordered wan but I’m not too convinced by the sound thus far. hoping for some tweakable settings. :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

I do not see the problem; you can get an OG for 20 times the money, or build a RE-303 for 10 times that. Can get an XoXboX and pray for a good copy…
150€ and people complain; nice acid box, it is not an OG and could not care less about that.

4 Likes

just noting the differences is all.

3 Likes

The MAM MB33 is sold for similar money in a metal case and is ‘made in Germany’. Presumably in relatively small runs.

6 Likes

Wow that’s a lovely little unit, if I didn’t already have so many emu’s I’d buy this

I love both of mine. Did a side by side with it (using the SEE to sequence) and an OG 303 plus a x0xbox, and while sounding acidic, it was’nt a one-to-one soundwise. There’s also quite a bit of white noise to the filter when cranking up the resonance.

Still a good sounding little box, tho.

Looks good. For midi control could this be controlled/sequenced of tr8-s trigger out or would it need a proper midi sequencer(OT or the like)??

Mb33 needs midi, and has no CC.
That means you need to twist those knobs if you want variation in sound.
You can do glides via double notes and accent via velocity.

Cheers.

Not sure if glides and accent can be controlled by trigger outs. Never used triggers outs. Only normal midi sequencing from Octatrack.

Quite temped to pair one of these with a TR8-S if it would be all ok.

If the TR8S can only send triggers I don’t think it will work, the MB33 needs a MIDI sequencer to send notes

1 Like

Trigger out is not midi so no.

The Elektron sequencers work great. But if you need an inbuilt sequencer you might be better with the TD-3. The TR8-S trigger-out could clock a TB-03 I guess.