Behringer RD-8

100% agree, personally. But I don’t do dance music, so that could account for my ambivalence. There’s a lot of drum sounds that interest me a whole lot more. That said, individual outs is a compelling feature and running some of them through various fx’s or pedals could take things in a direction I’d be down with

Now that vocoder is a whole other story…very interested in that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Its great but is there really a plus value using a real 808 instead of using samples ?
I mean this is quite a limited drum machine.

as stated above, the hi hats and cymbals do something magical when you’re combining accent, as well as when you play both hat sounds at once. combined noise source or something like that, is the reason why.

personally I love the classic TR boxes because they’re so simple. no menu diving and very little options for changing the sound. if you like the sounds they offer, just program a sequence, adjust shuffle and accent, smile.

4 Likes

any real update at NAMM on the RD909 yet? I’d like to buy both and the vocoder if they are launching.

Thanks, never had the chance to try a real 808. Its a really good price for an analog drum machine.

Well, many electronic/dance artists have been using samples for decades :slight_smile:

It’s a niche product, if you are really into the sound of the 808, it’s cool to have it in a hardware package for 300€, much like TB303 clones.

For me, a TR8S does it much better, and a ton of other things too.

2 Likes

Seen some pics of cardboard boxes with 3 RD909s in each. So I’m guessing they are in production as well, wont be long, just a few months behind the 808 I’d wager.

Agree, love 808 and Behringer for doing a clone at that price but this came a couple of decades too late. Would have loved this in the 90s but today not really. Its also a lot of desk realty for its function.

4 Likes

This is probably the best argument against it.

I like this thing. I like what Behringer have done with it. Sure there are sample packs for cheaper, but this thing would be fun to jam on.

Also, the size is probably a good argument for getting it as well, as it feels like that classic huge drum machine

4 Likes

true, big/heavy instruments are nice to have specially if they are analog. I guess if I was a true 808 guy or if it was my main axe then I would get one.

2 Likes

I actually thought it sounded ok, and better than I expected - probably because they literally outright cloned the Roland circuits, but it was interesting to note that the toms and kick decay curves sounded off, probably because of additions to the circuitry. I also didn’t find any of the extra sound parameters appealing, and a little pointless IMHO, the filter was pretty vanilla sounding I thought.

Still, my dislike of Behringer aside, I don’t see the point of it, 10-15 years ago maybe, but it is a huge chunk of machine for a limited soundset, I expect that these will be a flash in the pan and 6 months after release you’ll be able to pick them up for like 200-250.

I sold my OG TR-808 some years back, far too big for my limited space now, even though I love the sounds. TR-08 is perfect for me.

2 Likes

im actually thinking of getting one. I miss some claassic analog next to the MD and DT.

I’ve tried some mfb alternatives but i cant run from the truth any longer haha

I was actually quite impressed with the namm 19 demos, seems it sounds better than when it was previewed?

Well, and the workflow on the original is awesome. It was soo easy to get workable patterns up and quickly. A/B mode plus fill means decent tracks with limited memory usage. I also LOVE that the rd808 has the trigger outs, which is my favorite feature on the original. You could either drone with external synths you get additional mileage out of unused instruments.

Honestly, even if it was just a straight up clone for $300 bucks, its an awesome product which will get a lot of use.

Yes, I too would perhaps have liked the original A/B and fills… But at least with the berhi we do not have to be constantly jumping between pattern write and ptn play

Been wanting an OG since this:

6 Likes

I wanted to love the RD-808. 808 is my favorite classic drum machine. Certainly sounds great to me. Looks great. Of course I love the individual outs. Would be very fun to hook up a bunch of pedals or route to mixer sends.

But I’m having mixed feelings about this thing. Like @darenager says, it’s a lot of desk real estate for such a limited set of sounds. I feel like a drum machine has to bring something really special these days to justify the space, and be very versatile, like Rytm, TR-8(s), Digitakt, etc. Otherwise, I’ll be fine with samples in Ableton - which is probably far more convenient for actual songwriting anyway.

Any remaining pull to this machine, for me, is pure nostalgia and ability to snag a machine I missed out on years ago. But I suspect after that initial honeymoon period I’ll see that damn ear logo and be reminded it’s not the real thing and samples are just as good for my purposes.

But that’s just me. For people with the space available it sure is tempting. Especially at $299. Hell, that might be worth a few jams or a couple of EP’s.

1 Like

I hope decksaver will make covers for the RD808 & RD909 as I plan to keep them in storage most of the tine :nyan:

1 Like

Hahaha, yea you never know. Maybe classics in the making, you never know really! :diddly:

I don’t think they will be classics, in the same way that a reproduction antique isn’t considered an antique. I think the original machines are only really considered classics because they were key instruments in a cultural movement in a set period of time, by people of a certain age.

I doubt most younger guys give two hoots about using a copy of ‘Dads old drum machine’ when they are spoilt for choice often with much better and even cheaper options.

Its kind of funny to try and predict though, but as I see it a lot of difference in music technology today vs the 80’s means that instruments with a defined character because of the limitations have a signature sound, compared to say the bazillion options that exist now even on a modern drum machine like say the Rytm mean that that signature sound doesn’t exist to an extent, so who knows what will constitute classic status for gear in the future, if anything.

Nostalgia, it ain’t what it used to be :rofl:

4 Likes

hmm not so sure about that. I consider the og roland units to be classics, but they’re priced out of my reach considering how little I will actually end up using them.

But hey, decksavers are made for even lesser stuff so there’s a chance they might do it.