Behringer Pro-1

Until you want to resize the rather small window:

It took me a while to figure out, but as far as I can see, the cheapest way to get this plugin from them is to buy their MFreeFXBundle for €49 at https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle

Edit: You can get the MFreeFXBundle with €10 off when you use the credits you get when you sign up for their email newsletter.

1 Like

Yep those are the ones!

5 Likes

I love his videos, but this is too deep into functionality - at this point i have no idea what it sounds like beyond analyzed waveforms.

Starsky Carr did a vid with a bit of Yazoo audio he put together. Sounds dead convincing.

As an update - i got shipping notification way sooner than expected.

1 Like

Anybody noticed that the tuning is a bit off? I need to keep the master tune at about 8 o’clock. And Osc 2 needs to be at about 1 to be in tune with the osc 1.

I also can’t get the filter cv input to work. Is there a trick to get it working? Like if it’s works with the mod bus or something?

For those guys who’ve got one, what is your general impression? I’ve got an original Pro One but the convenience of the desktop Bro One is very appealing. Or am I just gassing unnecessarily? I’ve already got the Boog and Neutron and I really like the build quality and sound quality, aside from the delay on the Neutron.

Ive had several pro-1’s a few years ago when they were reasonably priced - its a fantastic synth. While i havent received mine yet (The bro1) im going to go out on a limb and say that its probably worth owning even if i still had an original. Hard to argue with that price.

That’s my train of thought. Mines minty and I’ve always tried to keep it like that. I’ve restored a couple for folks over the years but I still need to re-bush the keybed in mine.

It’s an all-analogue synth with the pots wired directly into the signal path (in contrast to a modern all-analogue synth like an AS-1 or a Prophet-6).

In that context, this is perfectly normal and expected. Use a tuner or your ears before you record or perform with other gear!

I’ve had analog synth’s since the mid 90’s. And none has been this way. Ofcourse you need to tune it, but not by this amount. The Osc 2 is a semitone off compared to osc 1. And the master tune is about 4 semitones off.

The strange thing is if i use the cv input, the master tune seems more correct.

It is still usable, and sounds awesome. Hopefully Behringer posts a calibration routine soon. As they did with the Model D.

1 Like

If it’s internal architecture is similar to the Pro One then it’s just a case of tweaking a couple of cv presets on the pcb. Can be a tedious faf but not impossible. Unless they’re using the processor To control those parameters? A bit like autotune? In which case their won’t be any presets.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Mine is a bit off, but nowhere near that much.

I’ll open it up, and see what I find. :slight_smile: I guess the internal midi to cv converter also need calibration.

I’ve got the service manual and calibration routines, I’ll dig them out if required.

I found the manual for the original. But it looked like those had trimmers in the front panel?

Yeah you can get to some of them through holes in the front panel. Not all tho. They’re mounted on the pcb. You need to take the pcb off the panel.

I’m guessing in Behringer’s production line there is a machine that clamps the board down and has POGO pins that connect to a set of test points for voltages and audio, and then the trimmers are automatically adjusted by a robot for tuning and calibration. I VERY much doubt some dude is sitting there turning pots to a general location and saying “Good enough!” That’s just not how real production works.

I just watched the Starsky comparison and it sounds dead identical to the original.

4 Likes

Jukka you misquoted me to serve your purpose, my full statement is not saying that a person didn’t turn pots, it’s that a person didn’t turn pots TO A GENERAL LOCATION. It’s easy to represent someone as you like if you only take bits and pieces of their sentences… I agree though, during the production of the very first units to be used for testing and press they may be adjusted by a human tech, but they would definitely be adjusted properly on a bench and not just turned to a general location if it was a human being doing it for a small number of units.

Murphy likes to slip in wherever he can… I certainly wish I had one of these, seems they’re sold out everywhere. I really think it sounds exceptionally good and Starsky states multiple times that it’s built much nicer than the original. I’d still like to have an original though but this is a great option!

1 Like