Behringer Pro-1

How are people liking this one? It sounds so good in the various YouTube videos I’ve seen. I’m so in love with my new MS-101 that I fear it will cause me to buy more. Haha.

It does sound even better in person. :slight_smile: It sounds very good. And has enough possibilities to not get boring fast.

1 Like

Super tempting, although watching this makes me wonder if a poly version will be out before too long!

I think there is a Prophet 600 clone in the works. Dont know exactly what will differ from the Pro-1, but it is a bit more basic, but could deliver alot of the same sounds in a poly package.

I use Akai Force’s autosampler alot for making my Pro-1 “polyphonic”.

1 Like

I just came across this video and it’s quite interesting. I actually much prefer the aggressive, gritty sound of the Pro-1!

The synth is just raised above the keystep lol. Forced perspective to make it look nicer on the screen. No conspiracy / magic. The keys are less in focus than the device itself.

THEY TRICKING US!!! :frowning:

1 Like

I’m looking to point Pro-1 owners here (link below), ideally with access to a Neutron or possibly one of the other Behringers to form a comparison and see if there’s an issue between one and the other - it’s possible that this is a hardware issue or even a fault unique to mine so any insights about success or otherwise will be helpful - especially if it appears to be a problem afflicting all owners of both …

answer here please :thup:

1 Like

Perhaps some of y’all weren’t aware - but the Pro-1 has had a recent firmware update (v1.29) fine-tuning the range of snappiness possible to make it more resolved and it seems to have addressed the one area where the digital envelopes were lacking compared to the og

Run SynthTool (v 2.4.0 is latest iirc … find it via their Cat clone, probably fine with the earlier version on Pro-1 page ) with usb and it’ll advise there’s an update. Super easy

here’s a link to a critique of this previous attack profile curve in the sharp end …

Here’s a channel showing a reaction/comparison now it’s improved

1 Like

a digital LFO—yes

a digital Envelope—nope

they should refine the Crave Envelope aswell, it’s way to insensitive between a click and a short, hearable output.

it’s ok but it could be much finer

that’s basically why the Neutron is such an inspiring and unique synthesizer.

the envelopes definitely shape the body of the sound and it’s damn responsive.

I guess iam selling the crave to fund a third Neutron, for Bass only. :slight_smile:

i’m not sure what you’re explaining - but the Pro-1 has a Digital Envelope and an Analog LFO - so it seems to be the opposite of what you’ve highlighted if i am reading your point correctly

edit : this is not a Neutron topic - but its LFO is digital, i’d imagine that its envelopes were too, i.e. digital control of analog circuits like the analog Elektrons

edit 2 : the envelopes are indeed listed as analog for the Neutron !!

1 Like

I was referring to the Neutron and the Crave.

as I thought you were looking for opinions on those synths aswell :slight_smile:

at least the decay/release portion has to be at a higher resolution and not so predictable as of yet

1 Like

i’m craving a crave as it happens - but i love the Pro-1 most of all synths for regular tone - it’s glorious, the Neutron is a lot more interesting, i do like it’s filter bass preservation and despite the same VCO it’s just not got the purity of the PRO-1 - i can listen to it droning and find it beautiful, it has a magical filter - i fancy the crave for the sequencer ratcheting and patching into seq and moog filter and simplicity !

2 Likes

the crave is great for that and useful as programmable filter box etc but it could be a much tighter synth when refining the envelope control section and at least separate the sequencer from the internal routing. most annoyingly the automatic envelope triggering/quantizing on the sequencer steps.

I wish they would allow the PWM control to drive thru different waveshapes once the saw wave is selected, actually it does only work in square wave mode.

somebody know about some mods to the oscillator? like separate outputs of all waveforms?

Hrmmmm, wonder if they can put a similar effort into making their Cat envelopes snappier?

1 Like

Update. The issue is with all Neutrons when connected by a Pro-1 - a potential firmware fix will hopefully be looked into

Now its on sale $49 off (link on Deals thread) and thanks to your post I’m even more tempted to pick it up - mostly for bass duty but what you say about drone sounds good too.

Did Behringer ever publish a MIDI implementation chart? All I can find on the website is a Quick Start Guide. I’d like to know what the MIDI CCs are for this thing.

2 Likes

It’s old school analog , no midi ccs

1 Like

The MIDI side is pretty much just only the basics iirc, Notes and Modwheel, all the controls are hands on only. For me this is no issue, i understand folk like external control options but i crave the purity of the directness even more. That’s even more significant to me as the quality of the sound i like is in the rawness, so over-modulating or controlling it would take me away from the core sound and directness - a lot of artists i grew up on used prophets/pro-ones in a stripped back way so the core sound and filter is something i have a personal affinity with. It’s a time machine synth sound for me which still resonates (no pun intended) - that’s why i can let it drone and arp/loop, it just has a very pleasing sound - having no hidden options and distractions becomes a strength for me in this scenario and its sound stands up to all scrutiny with just a tiny bit of reverb etc

my favourite character synth would be the MS20 because its filters go far more extreme, but there’s just something about the sequential flavour that i like (strangely i seem to have less in the way of this bond with the moog sound)

fwiw, when i was berating myself about the prospect of another mono i’d gravitate to this demo as i think the broad sound palette displayed covers a lot of territory that i like (albeit a little too fx-wet), so it gave me confidence that it was going to hit the spot

its limitations by modern standards are advantages to me because it keeps the sound undermodulated - sorry that’s perhaps no comfort wrt the missing CC control, but having everything be wysiwyg is part of what makes it appeal to me, a lot of the sound is found in between the steps you’d get with ‘crude’ digital control

i’m sure other demos give a different vibe, but i heard what i needed here

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the detailed post. I take it there is no MIDI velocity response?

MIDI CC is not that big a deal for me, but I was a bit concerned about lack of MIDI implementation chart - even if the chart just shows a bunch of X’s I would have liked to see the chart, just to set expectations.

I’m thinking maybe it could be paired - for some applications - with a Roland TR-06 as the Roland has multiple trigger outs, and I see some CV gate inputs on the Pro-1.

I like all the sounds I’ve heard so far in the demo vid you posted.

1 Like